• Collingwood 2018

Votes: 35 24.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • GWS 2019

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight, Collingwood's win doesn't seem like THAT big an upset, the teams seem fairly evenly matched and they just played way better. The Carlton win though even in hindsight has always seemed like a massive upset because they were never a good side.

just replayed 99 prelim on fox footy. Kouta, Bradley, Whitnall, Allan, * the Blues were good. That's the biggest prelim upset of all time, in my time, and one of the biggest upsets period.

Good game. Blues - Maaaaaaaggggggnificeeeeeeeeeent.

just replayed 99 prelim on fox footy. Kouta, Bradley, Whitnall, Allan, **** the Blues were good. That's the biggest prelim upset of all time, in my time, and one of the biggest upsets period.

Good game. Blues - Maaaaaaaggggggnificeeeeeeeeeent.
Thank you for bumping this thread :)

Collingwood were 3rd coming in after the home and away, Tigers were 1st.
It was an upset for sure, but those upsets aren't uncommon at all.
It was no more or an upset than Tigers knocking of Crows last year in the GF when many thought it was just a formality for them.

Richmond were undefeated at the ground for a season and a half. Were clear on top of the ladder, massive percentage, was their flag to lose. I can’t speak for anyone else but I was absolutely shocked. I can’t think of any other recently except for Essendon and Carlton.

Maybe I remember differently but saints and Sydney in 05 was another one for me. I just remember thinking how Saints looked really really good and Sydney just scrapped over the line against Geelong.

Collingwood were 3rd coming in after the home and away, Tigers were 1st.
It was an upset for sure, but those upsets aren't uncommon at all.
It was no more or an upset than Tigers knocking of Crows last year in the GF when many thought it was just a formality for them.
Come on mate. Top notch damage control.
I remember saying in both the Coll v Rich game day threads how glorious it would be for us to beat your mob in the prelim. I was met only with "in your dreams mate", "I'll put me house on it".
In the words of Nathan Buckley, "it was a result that everybody knew was possible, but no one was prepared to believe".

Also the countless times I'd heard (mostly from Richmond supporters) that we didn't deserve to finish 3rd because we had an easy draw - "they haven't beaten a team in the 8 all season" (despite the fact we knocked several teams out of the 8) - Now all of a sudden we were always right up there with the greats like Richmond?

Come on mate. Top notch damage control.
I remember saying in both the Coll v Rich game day threads how glorious it would be for us to beat your mob in the prelim. I was met only with "in your dreams mate", "I'll put me house on it".
In the words of Nathan Buckley, "it was a result that everybody knew was possible, but no one was prepared to believe".

Also the countless times I'd heard (mostly from Richmond supporters) that we didn't deserve to finish 3rd because we had an easy draw - "they haven't beaten a team in the 8 all season" (despite the fact we knocked several teams out of the 8) - Now all of a sudden we were always right up there with the greats like Richmond?
I clearly said it was an upset, but the thread is the greatest of all time, which I dont believe 3rd beating 1st at their shared home ground is.

Also, bigfooty threads are a sesspool of trolling, and not that indicative of the actual general consensus.

Dont get me wrong the result was unexpected, but plenty of finals and grand finals have unexpected results, and this one isnt the most shocking ever.

Richmond were undefeated at the ground for a season and a half. Were clear on top of the ladder, massive percentage, was their flag to lose. I can’t speak for anyone else but I was absolutely shocked. I can’t think of any other recently except for Essendon and Carlton.

Maybe I remember differently but saints and Sydney in 05 was another one for me. I just remember thinking how Saints looked really really good and Sydney just scrapped over the line against Geelong.
Saying it was our flag to lose is essentially just saying we were flag favourites. Favourites dont always win, plenty of examples of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back