Biggest problem NMFC face

Remove this Banner Ad

Supa_Nova

All Australian
Oct 6, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The elephant in the room.

With 18 clubs, some can be put into the category of traditional and strong support from public and AFL house, some big name clubs can get big name players and huge endorsements from sponsors. The lesser clubs such as St kilda and Western bulldogs seem to have AFL backing with strong ex players involved. The new clubs have AFL involvement to bring people into the club to help.

What we have is 20 years of mediocrity. In your right mind as a player, admin, coach or anything, why would you choose NMFC over any other club? This will be our biggest issue going forward

The elephant in the room.

With 18 clubs, some can be put into the category of traditional and strong support from public and AFL house, some big name clubs can get big name players and huge endorsements from sponsors. The lesser clubs such as St kilda and Western bulldogs seem to have AFL backing with strong ex players involved. The new clubs have AFL involvement to bring people into the club to help.

What we have is 20 years of mediocrity. In your right mind as a player, admin, coach or anything, why would you choose NMFC over any other club? This will be our biggest issue going forward
I think you underestimate the confidence - and arrogance - of the type of person that believes they are the best. There will be some that aren't willing sure, but there will be others that will see this as the ultimate challenge and want to show that they can deliver more than anyone else, with less than anyone else. I'm not too worried about getting people willing and capable, I'm more worried about being able to identify them from the outside and get them in.

The reality of the situation is that there isn't enough information out to the public to determine what, how and who exactly are causing the problems that currently exist. Even with the Noble spray maybe he really did take a step too far from the usual "you are s**t" spray and crossed line or the players are just sooks.

We just don't know yet.

Where do we start? It could be a game of Cluedo in honesty.

Was is Mr Rawlings with the lead pipe in the library?
Our football manager hired and fired his brother and a bunch of other coaches who were exposed as inadequate after the hub debacle. He's been shuffled sideways with the appointment of Daniel MacPherson and his previous efforts at West Coast in list management are now being exposed for all to see.

Could it have been our list managers with the rope in the cellar?
Luffy has shipped out a fair bit of dead wood but do we really think having Atu, Young, Lynch or Corr on the list is a masterstroke over retaining Dumont, Tyson or Wood? Admittedly there's little risk/reward for those players but we got massively dudded with the CCJ trade. Scott Clayton is still riding on the coat tails of his time at the Dogs - since then he has spudded it up in his time at GC (Lachie Weller), WC (Tim Kelly-might have been after his time) and now us. Does seem to sell a fair bit of oil from vipers with dubious medicinal benefits. Do we need key position players any more? Apparently not because, you know, Matt McGuinness, duh.

Was it our on-field leaders with dagger in the kitchen?
Ziebell has presided over this whole mess as on-ground leader - from the hub to now but is seemingly made of teflon (maybe that's why he falls over all the time) with none of the blame sticking . He's a very limited player and held us to ransom for a two year deal when Taz jumped the Arden St version of the Moskva. Him, Turner and Corr will probably not get a game anywhere else at the moment and opposition teams look to exploit them in fact. Simpkin and McDonald aren't exactly setting the world on fire after being a couple of shining lights the last two years. Goldy's bottom lip tends to go in and out a fair bit too.

Was it our development coaches with the candlestick in the ballroom?
Gavin Brown and his merry men haven't exactly generated any A-grade talent. Players like Taylor, Scott, Mahoney, LDU are currently pretty flakey to sub-standard. Skills, fitness, size - all below par. Apart from JHF and Thomas, there's no future guns in the pipeline for us to pin our hopes on.

Maybe it was our recruitment/draft gurus with the revolver in the hall?
Lewis Bryce pay no more. Hibberd, Nielson, Durdin, Vickers-Willis, Watson, Wagner, Clarke, Williams - what a disaster. What a black hole when we booted Boomer, Spud etc. to play these guys.... Haha, I just remember we drafted Matt Taylor - anyone remember him? Now we bring in Jackson Archer who is the most limited player I've seen on an AFL list. Nepotism (whiffs of it with McDonald and Crocker too) is such a demoralising disease.

The fitness and conditioning blokes with the wrench in the study?
Always getting flogged in round 1, blokes never being able to put on size, the biggest injury list in the comp (2 weeks...), players crippled with injury like Will Walker, we had it all. I assume Jona Segal just made them run 5 laps of Indian file each preseason and then hit the showers or suck on the energy drinks/bars he made with Boomer.

I've run out of weapons now, it's that bad. So I'll just make the rest of them up.

Was it the coaches with the arsenic in the conservatory?
Scotts and picking his favourites, lower standards and property portfolios. Shaws and the issues he faced - whatever they were. Nobles and his contemporary woes with an entrenched culture of mediocrity. No assistant coaches have gone on to super things at other clubs too.

Lastly the Board and senior management with the hair dryer in the bath?
Off field we are kicking goals in a big way - have they done this to the detriment of the onfield stuff? Probably less inclined to lay the blame here but the pressure will be on them to show us how they propose to get us out of this mess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back