Biggest rivals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Been a few threads / polls but they're years old and we've been through quite a bit as a club over the past five years!

Simple question, one answer: who is our biggest / most bitter rival?

Obviously only interested in the opinions of Essendon supporters. If a few lurking losers get involved, so be it.

I've simply included all clubs in the poll so as not to influence it in the slightest - obviously plenty will get zero votes.

Carlton forever and a day.

I can understand those that will choose Hawks, as they have been very successful recently and that pisses us all off no doubt. Sit back and think of a world where Carlton 3 peated and think are we better off or not?

Therein lies your true answer

It's also important to note that this is our biggest rival, not most hated club. I think, for me, there is an argument around whether I hate Carlton or Hawthorne more, but there's no argument in my mind that Carlton are our biggest rivals (even though they're fast becoming a minnow club). Also, if it was a choice of who is my most hated club, it would be West Coast then daylight.

Carlton forever and a day.

I can understand those that will choose Hawks, as they have been very successful recently and that pisses us all off no doubt. Sit back and think of a world where Carlton 3 peated and think are we better off or not?

Therein lies your true answer
Or...

Hawthorn and Carlton are playing in a grand final with 5 minutes to go. Carlton are 20 points down. What's the best outcome?

A. Hawthorn proceed to kick the next 5 goals to blow the margin
B. Carlton win the game
C. There is a grand final on today?
D. Carlton come back and hit the front only for the umps to give Hawthorn a dubious free for a kick after the siren. Carlton lose.

Or...

Hawthorn and Carlton are playing in a grand final with 5 minutes to go. Carlton are 20 points down. What's the best outcome?

B. Carlton win the game
D. Carlton come back and hit the front only for the umps to give Hawthorn a dubious free for a kick after the siren. Carlton lose.
C, or:

E. The ground evaporates before a result can happen
F. Draw

Posted somewhere that Carlton v Essendon has been somewhat of a local derby here for a long while.
Unfortunately we haven't suited up the way they have for a good decade and a half, but i've always admired that no matter how garbage Carlton are, they will always find another gear against us.
If we could apply the same ethic, it would make for some good clashes.

So has to be Carlton for me.

Hawks are a meh team on a good run. We bossed them for so long they threw a tantrum and beat up on the skinniest guy in our team.
i don't see them as a rival. When they're s**t, they're s**t. it doesn't change when we play them.
Same as Collingwood and Richmond.

Or...

B. Carlton win the game
A
i'd like to get to 17 first.
Seems we're always chasing them.

that said, by the time this happens, ill be too old to care.
And we should be at premiership 20 by then. so whatever.

Posted somewhere that Carlton v Essendon has been somewhat of a local derby here for a long while.
Unfortunately we haven't suited up the way they have for a good decade and a half, but i've always admired that no matter how garbage Carlton are, they will always find another gear against us.
If we could apply the same ethic, it would make for some good clashes.

So has to be Carlton for me.

Hawks are a meh team on a good run. We bossed them for so long they threw a tantrum and beat up on the skinniest guy in our team.
i don't see them as a rival. When they're s**t, they're s**t. it doesn't change when we play them.
Same as Collingwood and Richmond.
I think you've built this 'suit up' thing a bit beyond what the reality actually is. Over the last 15 years we've both been mostly terrible but the head-to-head in that time is still comfortably our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only Carlton have really rivalled us in anything this past decade.
Beat us badly in a final, took our place in finals, have beaten us a few times when we should win and us likewise to them. The longergan tackle incident, the draw when we had two down with knee recos.

Hawks, pies, tigers all dominant over us or nothing games with Hawks in particular humiliating us numerous times.

I dont hate any footy teams.

I hate Carlton the most.
I don't know why...we won about 20 times in a row against them in the 80s when I actually gave a stuff about the footy.
They've given me enjoyment (thrashing them in 93, Sticks kicking out on the full) but I still hate'em.
I hate that the have an AFLW team and we don't.
I hate Tim Lane.
Fitzpatrick is a campaigner.

Only Carlton have really rivalled us in anything this past decade.
Beat us badly in a final, took our place in finals, have beaten us a few times when we should win and us likewise to them. The longergan tackle incident, the draw when we had two down with knee recos.

Hawks, pies, tigers all dominant over us or nothing games with Hawks in particular humiliating us numerous times.

I dont hate any footy teams.
certainly don't hate Carlton.
just think there is a bit of a rivalry between us, a little more on their side than ours.
there only bloody win this year is against ffs.

but i respect that.
i got no issue with Carlton

too busy hating on Norf and St Kilda

Bunk Moreland Can you please add Essendon to the list.

Or...

B. Carlton win the game

Is there an infinity gauntlet handy?

Back