Autopsy Biggest surprises in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney's 0-6 start and subsequent huge remainder of the season, Richmond becoming good all of a sudden, and Josh J Kennedy still being able to win the Coleman after however many weeks he had off

Hawthorn's dramatic drop off is another surprise. Now I think they will drop off even more with the departures of Hodge and Gibbo.

It's startling how all four prelim finalists of 2015 have dropped off - Freo and North have fallen off a cliff, the West Coast you wouldn't bet on improving next year, the Hawks already in rebuild (yes, possibly the greatest rebuild since Berlin 1946, also possibly not).

It's startling how all four prelim finalists of 2015 have dropped off - Freo and North have fallen off a cliff, the West Coast you wouldn't bet on improving next year, the Hawks already in rebuild (yes, possibly the greatest rebuild since Berlin 1946, also possibly not).
Maybe a sign the premiership window is getting smaller and smaller. Hard to see any team dominate the competition for too many consecutive years these days!

Can I say Melbourne as a big surprise? Not for finals in and of itself, but if you said to me at the start of the year that the Dees would make the eight despite all of Hogan, Gawn and Jones missing a significant chunk of footy I'd have laughed at you.

Can I say Melbourne as a big surprise? Not for finals in and of itself, but if you said to me at the start of the year that the Dees would make the eight despite all of Hogan, Gawn and Jones missing a significant chunk of footy I'd have laughed at you.

I always rated Melbourne as a likely finalist so they weren't on my surprises but I reckon with how well your mob was travelling earlier in the season you would have made top 4 if you had a golden run with injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back