Moved Thread Biggest trade blunder of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

O'Meara comfortably. As bad as Deledio was, the Giants were the only side in the league who could have paid what they did for Deledio and still not be significabtly set back by it. He was the cherry on top and hasn't really had any negative effect on the Giants.

O'Meara though has set Hawthorn back a little bit given their retirees this season, what they gave up, their ladder position, injury history abd what he has given them. Looking at it you would have to say O'Meara was the worst trade for the year.

Vickery and Mayne were both FA.

It is too early to judge then as I feel it needs to based over the term of the contract but at this stage the 4 I have in the running are and feel free to disagree with me if I left someone out
And still time this year for them to change my mind
And I included free agents
Deledio needs to be in the team for the rd 20 game and impact in the finals
Mayne will he play seniors again this year?
O'Meara 2 games in vfl and 2 in the afl and I hold our hope for him to impact next year. If he has another severely impacted year next year it can be seriously questioned
Vickery what is his role in the team? Relieving ruck and forward but i feel that is his best position but is it down to the problems the hawks had earlier in the season as to why he had a poor impact? If he improves next year and can impact consistently then I would be happy but are the hawks better off playing O'Brien forward instead of big Ty

As some have posted....you must take into account what was the cost of the trade.
Is it just cap space, or did you lose players, or did you lose draft picks? Then once you have the cost....what is the return.....games played, impact on games etc.

We have made an error in Mayne, but he was 'only' a free agent.

Add up the costs and divide by the return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mayne was certainly not a blunder. We got Brad Hill out of that :p

I dont understand your claim. Can you explain how the trade of Hill and Mayne are related?

And re Tom Mitchell, the mistake for Sydney might be revealed as soon as September if they fall short.
Then if Florrent goes on to help win you a grand final during in his career then that same mistake may be corrected mostly.

Deledio has to play in finals and play well in finals for that to be a pass mark. He is playing a half in NEAFL this week so he could still achieve that thus can't assess till the end of the season.
Omeara is a longer term proposition and can't really be judged till the end of next season.
Mayne a free agent recruited to help Collingwood win more games this season especially and is now stuck in the VFL.
Deledio: Verdict pending following end of this season.
Omeara: Verdict pending following end of 2018 season.
Mayne: Fail. Didn't give up anything in terms of picks or players but still money and spot on the list that is being wasted.
Mayne therefore wins by default as the other two despite costing their respective clubs more the verdict is still undecided.

Mayne is horrible but cost us nothing besides money

Omeara has produced the same as Mayne on more money and cost a first rounded and 3 second round picks.

Omeara so far is the worst

The problem with the Mayne deal is not only $s, its the term too, 4 years.

Mayne is horrible but cost us nothing besides money

Omeara has produced the same as Mayne on more money and cost a first rounded and 3 second round picks.

Omeara so far is the worst

He's certainly adding value to your VFL side... about 500k a year worth. :drunk::oops:

for 4 years...

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back