Moved Thread Biggest trade blunder of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

As some have posted....you must take into account what was the cost of the trade.
Is it just cap space, or did you lose players, or did you lose draft picks? Then once you have the cost....what is the return.....games played, impact on games etc.

We have made an error in Mayne, but he was 'only' a free agent.

Add up the costs and divide by the return.
But don't you get an error when you divide by zero?

Your still ahead (Kennedy, McGlynn, Buddy).

I also want Alir Alir to even things up. Is he on the way out?
Shhh, keep your voice down man! You could get shot for suggesting that AA may not be the next Harry Taylor.

In all seriousness, he's a pretty divisive player on our board.

I see him as depth in the same way Membrey was. Won't get a game considering our current list but absolutely deserves a chance elsewhere.

Geelong for trading a Rd 1 for 2E and their Rd2.

What were they thinking?

Currently a 4 place downgrade. Madness..... just total madness.

GO Catters

Mayne is horrible but cost us nothing besides money

Omeara has produced the same as Mayne on more money and cost a first rounded and 3 second round picks.

Omeara so far is the worst

And unlike Mayne has seasons ahead to repay the trade.

Obviously he was a FA but I just cannot for the life of me understand the Mayne pickup. It was so so obvious that he was a less than poor footballer and yet the pies offered him 500k, just do not get it at all.

Bit of an under the radar one, but Caddy for mine.

Another middling inside mid with ordinary footskills for Richmond, though he has a bigger penchant than most for making absolute game losing errors.

Meanwhile, Parfitt looks like he could be quite handy for the Cats when he gets through his current hamstring woes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of an under the radar one, but Caddy for mine.

Another middling inside mid with ordinary footskills for Richmond, though he has a bigger penchant than most for making absolute game losing errors.

Meanwhile, Parfitt looks like he could be quite handy for the Cats when he gets through his current hamstring woes.

Disagree. We knew what we were getting with Caddy. He is being played as a marking forward because of injuries to our other key forwards limiting his midfield time and when he does play, he frees Dusty to play deep forward. No way is Caddy the biggest trade blunder of last year, let alone the biggest one at Richmond last season.

Did Geelong dodge a bullet with Delidio or what!?

He played 140 games straight, then something broke and he has been crippled with injury ever since. I do wonder if part of the problem was Richmond so desperately needing him to play that he was playing injured far too often and has caused long term injuries which he will not recover from.

He played 140 games straight, then something broke and he has been crippled with injury ever since. I do wonder if part of the problem was Richmond so desperately needing him to play that he was playing injured far too often and has caused long term injuries which he will not recover from.

I think Jack Reiwoldt yelled at him too much and hurt his ankle

Mayne is horrible but cost us nothing besides money

Omeara has produced the same as Mayne on more money and cost a first rounded and 3 second round picks.

Omeara so far is the worst

Your kidding he cost us nothing but money. He has cost us a list spot for 4 years, the potential to bring in a gun this year with a big war chest and has cost the club its reputation when it comes to trading.

Omeara is young and could come good. Mayne is fit and earning about 25k a game playing VFL footy

Shhh, keep your voice down man! You could get shot for suggesting that AA may not be the next Harry Taylor.

In all seriousness, he's a pretty divisive player on our board.

I see him as depth in the same way Membrey was. Won't get a game considering our current list but absolutely deserves a chance elsewhere.
How dare you question alir's awesomeness!!!

It actually makes me mad when people say that Collingwood and Hawthorn "traded" for Mayne and Vickery.

As for the question in the, it's looking like O'Meara.

Its hard to judge because they are all bad trades at this stage.

Mayne is just a spud and Collingwood just wasted money to get him. He won't be best 22 in a decent team again. This is probably the 2nd worst trade.

O'Meara could be good (supposedly top 5 in the AFL if you believe Hawk fans) but hasn't gotten on the park much at all. Has time to turn it around. Cost a lot! So if they get nothing from him this will be the worst trade but at this stage I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say he'll be the best trade right now.

Deledio I thought was a good pickup for GWS at the time. It made sense for their list and prospects. I think a bit unlucky that he hasn't gotten on the park AT ALL. I mean yes he was injury prone in his last few years but he still had some good run of games. I don't think there was a clear indication it was going to be like this - not like in the O'Meara case. Nonetheless he hasn't done anything and will likely retire. They gave up a future first rounder as part of this trade so that alone makes it the worst trade.

On another note: Hawks also signed Vickery which probably belongs right next to the Mayne signing.

It actually makes me mad when people say that Collingwood and Hawthorn "traded" for Mayne and Vickery.

As for the question in the, it's looking like O'Meara.

You get mad very easily. It's almost the weekend. Breath and relax!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back