Moved Thread Biggest trade blunder of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

North not trading Goldstein while he still had currency.
lol - you think that is as bad as Manye for 4 years on good money?? We may have got an ok pick for Goldy and may have drafted a good player??

Not trading Goldy is as bad as giving Stanton and Watson another contract. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

lol - you think that is as bad as Manye for 4 years on good money?? We may have got an ok pick for Goldy and may have drafted a good player??

Not trading Goldy is as bad as giving Stanton and Watson another contract. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Lulz.

Watson would be in your top 5 players and Stants is providing valuable feed back to the kids in the VFL.

Not quite as bad as being dropped for a failed project player and a kid who looked like he spent no time as a junior playing the game.

Good try though Billy boy.

Lulz.

Watson would be in your top 5 players and Stants is providing valuable feed back to the kids in the VFL.

Not quite as bad as being dropped for a failed project player and a kid who looked like he spent no time as a junior playing the game.

Stantons teaching the junior players how to paint fences? If Boomer is not getting another year - no way we would give Watson a year.

But end of the day you were obligated to give them another year after what your club did to them.

What I view as particularly bad trades currently

Geelong give up: Billie Smedts, pick 63, 2017 first round pick
Carlton give up: Zach Tuohy, 2017 second round pick

Pick 63 is basically irrelevant. What is relevant is the pick downgrade that Geelong took on this year. As it stands, it will be a minimal (2-6) pick downgrade into the early second round for a player that has made their team much better. Smedts is 25 and can't crack one of the worst 22s in the comp, and when he has, he has been anonymous. As it stands, Geelong got away with robbery here, and it's not like Tuohy's form is that much of a surprise, he has been a good defender for a number of years now.

This trade eventually became: Smedts, Williamson and Marchbank
For: Touhy and 2nd rnd.
In isolation the Tuohy trade was great for Geelong, however it allowed Carlton to get a 10+ year defender with Marchbank when they traded with the giants.

And Williamson who in his first year has played every game he has been available since first picked.

On form at this stage it's jom and prestia. Still hopeful on prestia though has only been able to train one day a week in the last month

As you've mentioned JOM and Prestia have been under injury clouds. Have they time to get over them?

The thread topic is incorrect. 2017 ?
Most of the names thrown around were from the 2016 trade period.
It may be better to postpone the post mortems until the respective players have finished their careers.

I think Prestia will come good jom I'm not sure of but time will tell. I think for this thread to serious all the trades have to be put up with what exactly who and what went where not just pick 12 name the player.

Mayne is horrible but cost us nothing besides money

Omeara has produced the same as Mayne on more money and cost a first rounded and 3 second round picks.

Omeara so far is the worst
My thoughts exactly. You could say you didn't trade a top 5 pick for Mayne.

Its no different to the colin Sylvia situation. Freo took Sylvia off he demons when he became a free agent. Demons got pick 28 which they traded to get bernie vince. Crows used pick 28 to get one of the crouch boys

I think Prestia will come good jom I'm not sure of but time will tell. I think for this thread to serious all the trades have to be put up with what exactly who and what went where not just pick 12 name the player.
Prestia and Adams looked like identical players a few years ago. Small yet tough inside midfielders with extremely poor skills.

Adams still gets many disgustingly bad clangers every game and so does Prestia. However what Adams has managed to improve is his delivery inside 50. He doesn't bomb it in and actually tries to select the ideal target. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but for some reason I feel alot more excited when I see Adams taking the ball inside 50 as I know that if he is able to execute it properly it will result in a mark instead of hoping for a Darcy Moore pack mark when someone else kicks it.

Thing is Prestia isn't even being played as an inside midfielder anymore, where he could potentially cover up his significant weaknesses. When he plays as an outside mid his horrific kicking is fully exposed, and when he's being played as a tagger, well Richmond, you have already lost. Pick 6 for a tagger doesn't look good to anyone. If Martin does leave this year, I expect Prestia to become a more competent midfielder, but with Martin still taking the main chunck of midfield time there's too much in the way for Prestia to succeed.

Sydney letting Tom Mitchell go.

Here we go again. He was our number 4 midfielder.... how much should you be paying them?? Honestly? If you're going to pay your number 4 mid 700k+ then you'll just end up hollowing out you depth. He got offered was he was worth to us. He wanted more and got more. Good for him and good for us as that allowed us enough cap space to re sign Heeney, Mills and a few others. Plus we now have more midfield minutes available for Papley, Heeney and Hewett to show their worth.

You're welcome to call it a blunder but IMO it was a calculated cull and as good as he might look now I much prefer the thought of being able to have a next generation and the opportunity to blood them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 + 23?

Gold Coast got 10 (2016) + 25 (2017, currently). Hawthorn gave up 7 and 25 (2017, currently) + 23 and 36 (2016) and got 68 (2016) back. It's a lot to give up. It's a bizarre trade because St Kilda got the best deal out of anyone.

The saving grace is that Tom Mitchell is about as proven a commodity as you can get for pick 14 so at least one player from the 2016/17 drafts can be pencilled in as a success.

I think Sydney probably knowingly took unders early in the trade period just to avoid being dragged into the s**t storm that they knew was going to eventuate on the O'meara trade. I reckon we might have got more if O'Meara wasn't in the picture. Not complaining though, that pick plus ours ended up getting us Hayward and Florent.

Gold Coast for digging their heels in so much with the JOM trade. A lot of hindsight here, but if they understood the Hawks desperation and got the Saints bounty instead of that "top 10 pick".

Bowes was bid just prior to the Saints pick, so they would have walked away with the same draft haul but matched with picks 23 & 36 instead (with change for Scheer) they'd then have the Hawks future first too.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, we probably thought Bowes would go earlier, thus got that 10 pick as insurance. Also needed to have the foresight that Hawks wouldn't crash and burn like they did this year. Can't fault our work last year though with Ainsworth, Brodie, Scrimshaw, Bowes and Scheer all coming in.

Knowing what we know now. GC would defiantly take that trade the Hawks did with the Saints.

Lulz.

If Majak can shade Bellchambers god help what Preuss would do to him, maybe check out the VFL from time to time.

If Majak can shade Bellchambers god help what Preuss would do to him, maybe check out the VFL from time to time.
Someone should tell Brad Majak was shading Tom I guess.

Surley the Hawks giving away the picks to the Saints which lead to over paying for O'Meara
Also getting Ty as a FA has been a big balls up.
Lucky T.Mitchell has been a gun or they would be coping it so hard from the media

They wouldn't have been on big coin though? What is the October master plan? Fyfe and May have signed contracts

Mitchell and Lewis were both still on big money. Hodge, Burgers and Gibbo had been on reduced money. So those 2 going cleared a lot of space in the cap. Hodge and Gibbo retiring at the end of the year will make some more room.

I like the one where people are saying GCS because they could have got all the picks we gave St Kilda instead of the single pick we gave them. For all their chest beating they actually ended up with less than we had originally offered them - its just that it cost us more.

Vickery only cost us because Roughead's cancer went away and he returned to his spot in the team. Hardly something Hawks fans are going to be upset about.

JOM we shall see in a couple of weeks how he is going, but given his age it is a long term plan to have him playing for us. Not a short term win/lose.

Deledio is a big issue because it is clear that GWS have cap space issues and they offered him good money and he isnt playing.

If Gold Coast let GAJ go for chump change then they screwed up by front loading his contract. They should hold firm and force him to retire if Geelong cant make a good offer.

Everyone already mentioned.Thinking Prestia might not live up to all the hype,just looks like an average player.

He's been average to good this year, after little pre season and only training once a week as he recovers. Should be better next year and has heaps of upside.

Based on what we paid, and assessing this year alone, we overpaid, but it's hardly in the same league as most of the 'blunders' in the thread.

Ruck battles are so inconsistent, TBC smashed Mumford, Grundy, Ryder since he's been back and been beaten by Martin and Naismith. Form against one match up does not dictate it against another.

Ruck battles are so inconsistent, TBC smashed Mumford, Grundy, Ryder since he's been back and been beaten by Martin and Naismith. Form against one match up does not dictate it against another.

Were we watching a different game? Majak might've had larger numbers, but Bellchambers visibly had many CLEAR winners in clearances, ones that are worth much more than his numbers suggest.

Looks shocking in isolation, but was needed to net us a 10 year CHB (Marchbank)
I wasn't very clear TBH - I was taking the piss out of those that said GFC had ****ed up by trading a Rd 1 pick for 2E -

But yes I agree with you. Its a win win so far. We get a ready made player that can slot in and play in Boris' spot (you just dont replace Boris :() and it got you Marchbank - which whilst still early certainly appears to have gotten you a good one no doubt ( whom I hope spuds it up this weekend and returns to regular form the week after...:D)

GO Catters

The whole compensation thing is ******
The fact that Richmond and Freo got early second rounders for flogs like Ty Vickery and Chris Mayne is ludicrous
I think all Freo fans would not agree with you. They held Mayne in the highest regard and shattered, to a man, when he left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back