Biggest waste of talent in the AFL?

If anything, all this shows is that Hogan is a serviceable 40-50 goal forward, but not a generational player. Maybe that's been his biggest problem, too much hype and expectation. Bit like Michael Hurley - was supposed to be a champion but turned out to just be a regular good player.
Michael Hurley is a 2 time AA player. That is a bit better than just a good player. Plus 40-50 goal a year KPF's are not exactly in abundance anymore

Either way Hogan has gone from a 2+ goal a game player to a bloke who only kicked 5 goals in 7 games (4 of which came v a horrible North) and was just given a way for peanuts

That is a pretty ******* big waste if you ask me

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Trying to come up with others that haven't been suggested often.

Dyson Heppell was always expected to be something special, very injury prone and the sun has set on our optimism of his career progression.

Jamie Elliot - another player who is sublime, plays some ripper games, but hasn't shown consistency and has plenty of untapped potential

Sebastian Ross - highly touted, highly ranked and rated, yet even Saints supporters have given up on him being anything more than a midfield rotation and role player when the expectations were elite player initially.

Daniel Rioli from Richmond is a player that certainly did damage in big games - 2017 Preliminary Final against GWS kicked four massive goals - yet, after his torn ankle from that Grand Final, hasn't recaptured his initial form or elevated his career.

Patty Dow from Carlton is on the cusp of being underlined as a bust, very highly rated as a junior, it has come to a shock that he hasn't established himself in the team yet. 2021 will be the end for him, if he cannot cement his place, 2022 may be a rookie listed spot to join his brother at Richmond.

Josh Schache for the Bulldogs has been an uneventful and uninspired pick up. On that long list of key forwards that cannot translate their junior success at the highest level.

Johnathan Patton at Hawthorn has not only damaged his own reputation with his lewd behaviour, but before that, hadnt proven himself with any consistent football at AFL level. Although players such as Jesse Hogan have been mentioned here, Hogan has put together a few good seasons, this number 1 draft pick who was touted as the next Nick Riewoldt has only one thing in common - the awkward dick pic. On field success, leadership, talent and work ethic completely absent. Tom Scully the same

Harsh on Patton, every time he started to find his feet at AFL level he did his ACL and now he just doesn't have the confidence or athleticism anymore.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong
Mark blicavs.his talent has been totally wasted by Chris Scott on numerous costly occasions.
😎

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
At least 2 of those AA were not even close to deserved.

The 10th best mid in the comp shouldnt get a spot on the forward line ahead of actual forwards.

Given he was equal first in goal assists and kicked 30 odd goals, not sure I entirely agree there. Understand the premise, but someone like Bont is a far more egregious selection than Danger, who plays around 60/40 mid/fwd split

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Played out of position through a needs basis while at Geelong I reckon. If they'd plonked him in the F50, his goal sense and acceleration would have been massive

Agree, but I still think his attitude dropping off a cliff and him caring more about his music career/coming back unfit after pre-seasons, was also a huge reason why he never reached that upper echelon

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Joel Hamling

The Freo move has gone horrible for him in hindsight with injuries and not back to the best form

Hamling when on the park, has been one of Freo’s shining lights, since he came over from the Dogs.

He was putting in Luke Ryanesque performances, before Luke Ryan evolved.

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Hamling when on the park, has been one of Freo’s shining lights, since he came over from the Dogs.

He was putting in Luke Ryanesque performances, before Luke Ryan evolved.

Hasn't been a better Geelong cast-off playing for Fremantle since.....Andrew Wills 🥰

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given he was equal first in goal assists and kicked 30 odd goals, not sure I entirely agree there. Understand the premise, but someone like Bont is a far more egregious selection than Danger, who plays around 60/40 mid/fwd split

30 goals in the regular season? Im pretty sure it was 11.

That said, McRae on the Wing was the biggest joke of the AA last year.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
Jeremy Finlayson is a pretty big waste of talent so far I reckon, has been given all the physical traits you would want to be successful, but he drifts in & out of matches way too much.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets
I love how people blame Daniher's injury recovery purely on Essendon as opposed to also being a victim of his own approach to rehab. Its well known he is a very laid back space cadet who doesn't work the hardest.

Moving to Brissy hopefully gets some fire in his belly, he lifts his professionalism and he matches the talent everyone knows he has. Will suck for dons fans but his best is just too good to not want to see it in the game.

Back to the original question I would like to put forward Blake Acres. Was pumped up massively early on his career and looked to have the tools to become an explosive tall mid and then Richo played him in nearly every position and really has just become another average utility.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Jack Martin?

Been hearing since before he was picked in the mini draft about his talent. He's been pretty unspectacular.

Steve Motlop is a massive tease. His last 3 years with Geelong averaged 20+ touches a game and kicked 26, 38, 22 goals, and had a 44 goal season in 2013. Since he joined Port he manages to get less of the ball and kick fewer goals.

De Goey, Stringer, Hogan all stand out as young players that hit a high level early then dropped right off. I'm glad Petracca has extracted the digit. Looked like he could float around and play at 70% his whole career but took a huge leap forward last year.

Back