Biggest waste of talent in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Treloar comes to mind for mine, massive salary and after his hammy issues just couldn't deliver, not having a go at the Dogs or anything here but before that injury he was top shelf, one of my favourites and i hope he gets back to where he was, trading him didn't go down well with most Collingwood players.

Previous comments around Chris Yarran got me thinking of the late Shane Yarran who kicked a goal in every game he played. Obviously a terribly sad story and a waste of a lot more than just football talent.

Tom Scully

Bennell and honestly it's not even remotely close. When he wasn't an utter muppet that had off field issues and whatever injury you can come up with...the bloke looked the next superstar. Still remember the 30 possession 4 goal game he had. Unfortunately a lot of things have held him back.

Beat me to it, was about to post him.

Go back and watch his 2016 highlights. He had "best player in the competition" written all over him back then. He's not as bad a player as the likes of Hogan, and has his moments, but geez he has been a massive waste of talent so far in his career. He has never replicated that form of 2015/2016 that had people calling him the next Ablett Snr. Now, he's an okay player who can light it up on the odd occasion but otherwise is no more than a poor man's De Goey.
2015 was the year. He got dropped in 2016 and you could start to see he wasn't working hard enough on game days

Tom Scully

Eh? He was great when he played for us. One of the best 2 way runners in the game until he broke his league.

I guess he doesn't quite fit OPs criteria, but Harley Bennell maybe takes the cake.

Had the talent and work ethic to be a Brownlow winner and consistent AA fixture. To reach that Dusty/Fyfe/Dangerfield level.

Shot hammies and some minor off field drama killed his chances. Always held out hope he'd make a comeback. GC destroyed so much talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bennell and honestly it's not even remotely close. When he wasn't an utter muppet that had off field issues and whatever injury you can come up with...the bloke looked the next superstar. Still remember the 30 possession 4 goal game he had. Unfortunately a lot of things have held him back.

6 goals even!

Harsh on Patton, every time he started to find his feet at AFL level he did his ACL and now he just doesn't have the confidence or athleticism anymore.

Not sure confidence is an issue... More knees and turning circle.

Troy Menzel was an early draft pick who threw away his talent with no work ethic and some shady off field habits. Traded at a discount to Adelaide who got 4 shitty games over two years.

Not sure confidence is an issue... More knees and turning circle.

Troy Menzel was an early draft pick who threw away his talent with no work ethic and some shady off field habits. Traded at a discount to Adelaide who got 4 shitty games over two years.

When u do 3 ACLs it's always at the back of your mind when your knee is under pressure, you can't play with the same freedom as before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back