Biggest waste of talent in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Never played in a final at Carlton. Played in an appalling era for Bluebaggers.
?

Played in 6 finals (including a prelim) in 2000, 2001, and 2009.

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Steven Motlop with a bullet. Could have been Cyril Rioli esque had he actually given a crap on a consistent basis. Such a waste
Played out of position through a needs basis while at Geelong I reckon. If they'd plonked him in the F50, his goal sense and acceleration would have been massive
Agree, but I still think his attitude dropping off a cliff and him caring more about his music career/coming back unfit after pre-seasons, was also a huge reason why he never reached that upper echelon
Drowned in his own honey Mots....drowned in his own honey.

Thanks Dwayne.

Guy O'Keefe.

Who you ask? Exactly. Regularly killed it in the VFL, never debuted because (allegedly) Johnno caught him offering pills to teammates and bailed him up. Delisted, played SANFL, got done for dealing in his late 20s.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Doesn't help being an outside player in a sh*t side for most of your career.

If he'd gone to say Hawthorn or Geelong when he was drafted, he'd have had a much better looking career.

Agreed, playing for Melb certainly hurt him.

I guess the best players dominate in crap teams too!

I also consider Patton and Boyd a waste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I guess the best players dominate in crap teams too!

Depends on the type of player. An inside player like Cripps, sure, an outside player like Scully, no.

I also consider Patton and Boyd a waste.

Injury (knees and mental health) got them both.

Wouldn't say any of the above qualify as a waste of talent.

Kozzie_Magic

Senior List
Nov 7, 2020
Bigfooty t/as Aust Antifa - Endorsed by chief
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bennell and honestly it's not even remotely close. When he wasn't an utter muppet that had off field issues and whatever injury you can come up with...the bloke looked the next superstar. Still remember the 30 possession 4 goal game he had. Unfortunately a lot of things have held him back.

The thing about him that is just bewildering is all that work he put in to resurrect his career at Melbourne and he threw it all away so quickly with one stupid act.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The thing about him that is just bewildering is all that work he put in to resurrect his career at Melbourne and he threw it all away so quickly with one stupid act.

Bennell's track record suggests that's well within character. Seems like a guy that can't control himself when he gets in to certain situations. Had all the talent to be a genuine superstar though.

Bennell's track record suggests that's well within character. Seems like a guy that can't control himself when he gets in to certain situations. Had all the talent to be a genuine superstar though.
Some people just can't handle their piss.
Good intentions but then lose all inhibitions on the turps. Probably would have been a superstar in the 80s.

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
Wingard is a 2x AA, B&F winner and kicked 262 goals from 178 games

May not have seen either live up to their full potential (yet) but they have delivered far too much to be among the biggest wasted talents.
Wingard did all that early so he absolutely qualifies for this.

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Whats your version of tearing a game apart? Certain amount of possessions, certain amount of goals or a combination?
I would go with the combination of actions that "carries a team", swinging likely defeat to victory. Dangerfield, Fyffe, Neale, Bont, Martin, Sidebottom, Ryan, Cameron of recent. Most captains have.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
I would go with the combination of actions that "carries a team", swinging likely defeat to victory. Dangerfield, Fyffe, Neale, Bont, Martin, Sidebottom, Ryan, Cameron of recent. Most captains have.
I would suggest you look at some of his stats and look at most of Gold coast wins he played in and he was instrumental in a lot of those. With most being 15 disposals and multiple goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back