Rumour Bill Davoren to be replaced by Dean Benton.

Remove this Banner Ad

From the outset, I knew Davoren was up to no good. I had no idea who he was, but that would probably have been true of anyone Collingwood had selected. World renowned fitness coaches is not one of the strong suits in my knowledge pack. Superficially the name had foreign overtones to me, implying secretive machinations behind an iron curtain, the eastern European bloc of former times. In fact Davoren appears to be a name of Irish origin, making him more a leprechaun than a Leninist.

Whatever, he has presided over a period of crippling injuries to key players that have sidelined them for what seems like close to forever. Although I know as little about Dean Benton as I did and do about Davoren, his appointment holds promise of hope, of strong players moving metaphorical mountains in their quest for ultimate success. The urban dictionary entry on 'Benton' reassures us that a Benton is:

'An intelligent individual who understands many things through close observation. Though sometimes misunderstood, people will eventually grow to like them. A kind heart and a caring soul allow an empathic connection with others, while a bright mind and excellent judgment make for a great leader. They possess amazing skills in everything they do and can accomplish things that would be impossible for most. They have a great physique and find it hard sometimes to be so good-looking because they can be resented for it.'

So welcome Dean. May you squash the injury bug by building bodies instead of busting them up.

Last edited:

Not quite. The next opportunity you get to have a chat with a younger Collingwood player ask them what the club is doing in comparison to other clubs the footy grapevine is amazing.

I'll give you the tip we aren't being benchmarked against like we once were...
We have to differ then. Chatting to young Colingwood footballers doesn't sound like a way to make an informed opinion.

We have to differ then. Chatting to young Colingwood footballers doesn't sound like a way to make an informed opinion.
Good point
If you ask players, the ones who get games soften any crtisism or think life ccoaches are grand, they get dropped or dont get games then often coaches etc arnt so good

Collingwood FC can make a call on Davoren because they have a whole range of information and knowledge that we are not privy to. For us outside the club we can have a bit of an educated opinion about the head coach and the players because they are on public display and we have an idea about their role.

After that it's total guesswork. We have no idea what the assistants, the fitness staff, the medicos etc are like because we have no access to the information required to judge them even if we had the knowledge base to do so. Sorry this thread is just whistling Dixie

This :thumbsu:

Not quite. The next opportunity you get to have a chat with a younger Collingwood player ask them what the club is doing in comparison to other clubs the footy grapevine is amazing.

I'll give you the tip we aren't being benchmarked against like we once were...

Fair to say that the vast majority of folks judging Davoren harshly have never spoken with a younger Collingwood player?

And even if they had, it's a bit like asking a kid if their teacher is any good: it's a valid datapoint, but it's only part of the picture and there is a general need to dig deeper.

And yes, it is digging deeper to find out that our players don't have tailored off-season programs whereas players of other teams do. That'd be definitely worth quizzing Davoren over (if he's still employed then we'll get our chance at the fan forum on 5th November) but wouldn't have thought it's worth summarily sacking him over by itself.

Yeah the last bit of the crux of it. From what I've heard a lot doesn't add up to what an external judge would realistically expect from a professional standpoint, but because I'm external I find it difficult to go too hard.

It is definitely one that if we do go in another direction after only two years it might indicate something wasn't right.

FWIW from a functional perspective Union appears to be a strong background for the way the game is evolving. With the number of "rolling mauls" :rolleyes: we see these days it does lend to that sort of functional fitness.

Have you ever watched a game of rugby? Count yourself lucky if you haven't but their version of a maul is nothing like what we call a maul in the afl. The body types needed for the two are completely different

Collingwood FC can make a call on Davoren because they have a whole range of information and knowledge that we are not privy to. For us outside the club we can have a bit of an educated opinion about the head coach and the players because they are on public display and we have an idea about their role.

After that it's total guesswork. We have no idea what the assistants, the fitness staff, the medicos etc are like because we have no access to the information required to judge them even if we had the knowledge base to do so. Sorry this thread is just whistling Dixie
So we can judge Buckley because we can see him on game day but we cant judge davoren because we don't see him on game day?

Not all of buckleys work is open to the public. Just as much of davorens work is open as is buckleys.

You always seem to defend the pies medical and fitness team because that is your background but if you take a look at the facts that are given to us it is clear that collingwood has had a poor record with fitness levels at the end of seasons and with soft tissue injuries.

That is not guesswork, that is fact mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short Memory

A bunch of crippling ACL's
To Toovey, Ball, and Krakouer too
And to Caff and Brown and Keeffe as well
And Fosty did his PCL, short memory!

Short memory, must have a short memory

Shoulder recos galore we had ...
Rusling, Hartley had one
And Paine and Brown too
Then Rusling and Paine got them again

Maxy did his ankle once
Daisy did his ankle too
Daisy did his ankle again and again
Then we put him to pasture at Carlton, short memory!

Beamsy lost most of 2013 to soft tissue
So did Young that year as well
Ben Johnson had chronic hammys too
But Butterfant was just trying to lend a hand, short memory!

The Fas lost a season with a navicular
Ramsay lost a season with a wrist
Harry tripped over his coffee table
Reid did his shoulder playing beach volleyball in Thailand, short memory!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a good thing in the end. Yeah this year was better than the last 3 but it still wasn't ideal. Not only that, we struggled to get certain players on the park for almost an entire season. Not good enough.

Have you ever watched a game of rugby? Count yourself lucky if you haven't but their version of a maul is nothing like what we call a maul in the afl. The body types needed for the two are completely different

Hence the rolled eyes on the maul comment. The game will change due to the interchange reduction and teams are going to slow it down and create more stoppages. With more stoppages bigger bodies become crucial.

Agree to disagree then 76 because guys that have gone through 3-4 pre-seasons and are still segregated from the senior players plus don't receive individualised programs doesn't happen at other clubs. These guys all talk and they all know what everyone's doing. We aren't going as far with our fitness regime as other clubs.

Last edited:

Where did I mention using it as a means to make an informed opinion? Your blanket statement about us pretty much having no idea wasn't entirely true that's all.

Like I said last night we'll see how it plays out, but if he goes after only two years that tells you everything you need to know whether we've got informed opinions or otherwise.

Agree to disagree then 76 because guys that have gone through 3-4 pre-seasons and are still segregated from the senior players plus don't receive individualised programs doesn't happen at other clubs. These guys all talk and they all know what everyone's doing. We aren't going as far with our fitness regime as other clubs.

I don't think we're disagreeing ...

... I did point out that it's something that'd be worth asking about - and I'd assume / hope the club is.

Where did I mention using it as a means to make an informed opinion? Your blanket statement about us pretty much having no idea wasn't entirely true that's all.

C'mon Scodog, you and a few other around here do have a privileged insight.

You have to admit that the vast majority of people making calls on Davoren really have NFI.

Like I said last night we'll see how it plays out, but if he goes after only two years that tells you everything you need to know whether we've got informed opinions or otherwise.

Whether Davoren stays or goes in no way validates whether us punters have any idea or not.

The club does have some form to handle these matters ...

After the 4 ACL's in 2012, the club concluded that they were just very very bad luck. IIRC Jack Kennedy led an investigation and concluded as much. The ACL's continued. We did a thorough review at the end of 2014, we let go our strength coach and club doctor and - so far / touch wood the ACL ruptures have stopped.

I don't mind if we do make a change. But lets make sure we get someone who has some AFL experience. We are some what unique in our game we need speed power endurance in our players.I like getting these guys who have worked with international sides or sides from overseas but we need them to understand what it takes to be a AFL player.We can't just go speed without strength or endurance. I can't go through another year of thinking what if we had all our players available where could we finish.

I don't think we're disagreeing ...

... I did point out that it's something that'd be worth asking about - and I'd assume / hope the club is.

C'mon Scodog, you and a few other around here do have a privileged insight.

You have to admit that the vast majority of people making calls on Davoren really have NFI.

Whether Davoren stays or goes in no way validates whether us punters have any idea or not.

The club does have some form to handle these matters ...

After the 4 ACL's in 2012, the club concluded that they were just very very bad luck. IIRC Jack Kennedy led an investigation and concluded as much. The ACL's continued. We did a thorough review at the end of 2014, we let go our strength coach and club doctor and - so far / touch wood the ACL ruptures have stopped.

I'm just not into blanket statements that's all
all. Let's take Ketchup my vague memory has him with a sports science background.

A poster like him looks over our injury profile, sees that Davoren is replaced after 2 seasons, is fortunate enough to chat to a player or two and all of a sudden they have reference points to form some sort of opinion. From there if they think they're still whistling dixie that's cool, but at the end of the day it's a discussion board we're here to discuss issues and I don't believe that sort of comment encourages that.

I have no idea how many posters on here have that sort of background so let's all share our thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back