Bill Shorten - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Labor have any decent politicians left in it's back-benches?....Because, if Bill Shorten is the best they've got, then good luck winning the election.
There's a number of decent pollies in Labor's cabinet, including Clare, Bowen, Albo and Dreyfus. But that said, Shorten is doing fine; his lack of charisma and personal popularity has forced him to adopt the risky tactic of genuine policy. It's a welcome development.

There's a number of decent pollies in Labor's cabinet, including Clare, Bowen, Albo and Dreyfus. But that said, Shorten is doing fine; his lack of charisma and personal popularity has forced him to adopt the risky tactic of genuine policy. It's a welcome development.
Agreed. And Australians want stability and a bit of boring actually helps with that.

Malcom Turnbull must now be looking over his shoulder at two people. One is Bill Shorten; the other is Tony Abbott. And seeing Labor is ahead of the Coalition 51% to 49%, the Coalition now knows it has a major fight on its hands ahead of the upcoming federal election. In fact, what chance is there of a change of government?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It worked for Dan Andrews. Shorten from the same mould.

'Almost' locked liberals into an early election without the tactic of switching to Turnbull available

Shorten is either a lucky SOB or a genius

It worked for Dan Andrews. Shorten from the same mould.

'Almost' locked liberals into an early election without the tactic of switching to Turnbull available

Shorten is either a lucky SOB or a genius
Labor have been doing the 'calm and measured' thing presentation-wise since Latham lost in 2004, and the right of the party had a similar approach to policy. Ruddy did his own thing, which ruined those plans, and the left under Gillard were still too much into 'big vision'/'grand gestures' (Gillard was apparently a big part of Latham's 'Medicare Gold').

I think the whole party learnt lessons from Rudd/Gillard and really are pulling in one direction now. Of course it's much easier for the left to swallow a reduction in their ambition when the alternative was shown to be that the Liberal Right were running the country.

I just hope they still have a grand vision for the NBN. That will pay for itself ...if we are the innovative nation we want/claim to be.

I wouldn't put Dreyfus in there but Clare, Bowen, Albo are all good.

Shorten apparently did well in the Sky News/Courier Mail debate.
Of the 150 swing voters there, 68% said they would be more likely to vote Labor following Shorten’s address, and only 9% said they would be less likely
That article mentions some nice turns of phrase (my italics), which follows a fair few comments on BF from people saying he is communicating better:
Shorten had a swipe at private insurance companies for jacking up premiums, saying he would lead a “government with guts” that would slow the rate of increases. But when asked if he would threaten to cut the concessions that private insurers enjoy, or what form his negotiations would take, Shorten was vague on details. “Let’s put some water in the punchbowl, sober this system up,” he said. “I’m not going to reveal the dark arts in how I negotiate.”
Dutton's response was not quite as subtle:
Peter Dutton, accused Shorten of being the “most dangerous leader of the Labor party since Gough Whitlam”

He's s**t but the alternative is the lnp.

I'd vote for Hitler over the lnp. People forget there were supposed to be no cuts to health or education, amongst endless other things. This election should be a landslide victory. The fact it's close is ridiculous given the complete backflip of pre election promises.

He's s**t but the alternative is the lnp.

I'd vote for Hitler over the lnp. People forget there were supposed to be no cuts to health or education, amongst endless other things. This election should be a landslide victory. The fact it's close is ridiculous given the complete backflip of pre election promises.

Hitller at least got full employment, built roads and rail infrastructure that's still going today before he went mad, no excuses for LNP they have done nothing but get us into further debt.

I know Benny enjoys being offensive (does anyone believe the alias is anything but a troll?), but do we really have to Godwin this thread? Suggesting Hitler was at any point not "mad" is pretty stupid.

Last edited:
I know Benny enjoys being offensive (does anyone believe the alias is anything but a troll?), but do we really have to Godwin this thread? Suggesting Hitler was at any point not "mad" is pretty stupid.

I suppose it depends what you call mad, the war in Iraq lead by USA, GB, Australia hasn't been a success and how many have died, our our leaders mad. You obviously no history better than I do but I don't believe hitlers original intent to was to take on the world. Again I never studied history but just an observation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose it depends what you call mad, the war in Iraq lead by USA, GB, Australia hasn't been a success and how many have died, our our leaders mad. You obviously no history better than I do but I don't believe hitlers original intent to was to take on the world. Again I never studied history but just an observation.
Given he's the most notorious dictator in the western world, maaaybe you shouldn't say anything remotely like a compliment about him if you don't know his story well. I guess it's easiest to just point out he wrote Mein Kampf while in jail (which is before he got anywhere near to having power).

Given he's the most notorious dictator in the western world, maaaybe you shouldn't say anything remotely like a compliment about him if you don't know his story well. I guess it's easiest to just point out he wrote Mein Kampf while in jail (which is before he got anywhere near to having power).

Both my grandmothers lost brothers trying to stop that f***ing lunatic, and talking to them both later they said simply Hitler had to be stopped. Truly the greatest generation.

Ok thanks, most times it's better to say nothing if your not certain, I f..ked up.

Both my grandmothers lost brothers trying to stop that f***ing lunatic, and talking to them both later they said simply Hitler had to be stopped. Truly the greatest generation.

I saw that doco on the surviving troops that arrived at Normandy at D-Day. I just can't put myself in that situation. So bloody humble and down to earth - makes me worry about a generation brought up on selfies and immediate gratification

Labor have been doing the 'calm and measured' thing presentation-wise since Latham lost in 2004, and the right of the party had a similar approach to policy. Ruddy did his own thing, which ruined those plans, and the left under Gillard were still too much into 'big vision'/'grand gestures' (Gillard was apparently a big part of Latham's 'Medicare Gold').

I think the whole party learnt lessons from Rudd/Gillard and really are pulling in one direction now. Of course it's much easier for the left to swallow a reduction in their ambition when the alternative was shown to be that the Liberal Right were running the country.

I just hope they still have a grand vision for the NBN. That will pay for itself ...if we are the innovative nation we want/claim to be.

How dumb is it - its an infrastructure project that should be a bipartisan goal. Also surely we could have a competitive advantage out of renewables?

I saw that doco on the surviving troops that arrived at Normandy at D-Day. I just can't put myself in that situation. So bloody humble and down to earth - makes me worry about a generation brought up on selfies and immediate gratification
I've just watched The War by Ken Burns, because I'd never really considered WWII from the American point of view. There's no way I could have done what those boys, and they were boys, did. My grandad helped liberate Belsen, and it scarred him for life, as well as losing two brothers, my Gran also lost a part of her husband, and ten years of his life, he drank to cope, and dropped dead in front of me, and my brother in 1980. We still owe them so much, it's why I'm enraged when I see aspects of fascist ideology getting tacit approval some sections of the government these days.

I've just watched The War by Ken Burns, because I'd never really considered WWII from the American point of view. There's no way I could have done what those boys, and they were boys, did. My grandad helped liberate Belsen, and it scarred him for life, as well as losing two brothers, my Gran also lost a part of her husband, and ten years of his life, he drank to cope, and dropped dead in front of me, and my brother in 1980. We still owe them so much, it's why I'm enraged when I see aspects of fascist ideology getting tacit approval some sections of the government these days.

I just read a biography of Eisenhower- he would agonise over casualties - just as you would expect a man of honour to do. After being Alllied Commander in Chief the Presidency must have been a doddle. He rung Kennedy after the Bay of Pigs and asked him why he didn't ring him for advise - he said "I know a thing or two about invasions" - he told him it was clear the joint chiefs had set him up

I just read a biography of Eisenhower- he would agonise over casualties - just as you would expect a man of honour to do. After being Alllied Commander in Chief the Presidency must have been a doddle. He rung Kennedy after the Bay of Pigs and asked him why he didn't ring him for advise - he said "I know a thing or two about invasions" - he told him it was clear the joint chiefs had set him up
It's too easy to wage war in this day, and age. If our world leaders realised that to declare war would mean sacrificing 20k+ of their citizens, they wouldn't enter into it as blithely as they do.

How dumb is it - its an infrastructure project that should be a bipartisan goal. Also surely we could have a competitive advantage out of renewables?
Absolutely. There has been money put into renewables for decades, but you do wonder how on earth Germany leads tech. In the back of my head I think I remember the CSIRO developed some break-throughs but Australia didn't capitalise on them, but all I can find via a quick Google search is that they did Solar Water Heater research in the 1950s which led to companies that are still going today; and otherwise there are a bunch of new stories about potential break-throughs over the years. The latest is that they generated 'supercritical' steam - i.e. using solar they made water hot enough to generate energy on par with advanced fossil fuel power stations. That was a June 2014 press release.
That is what I thought about Rudd - turned out to be a psychopath egotist
The fact Shorten worked so well in the Disability sector I think means he is clearly very different to Rudd. Working well in foreign affairs is largely about your ability to communicate the right messages to different audiences - one ego can drive it all. Understanding Disability would require listening, empathy, patience, bringing together the different groups to agree on the national framework, etc. But as I have said about Labor in the past, it could simply be that they actually listen to and use the public service which means their policies seem so much saner. Civil servants aren't geniuses, but they have stability in a role over decades and so long as they aren't 'captured' by a world view that biases their information collection, they should be very useful.

And don't knock 'selfies' instinctively. One plus side is it seems to make the kids be very conscious about fitness, yoga, 'superfoods', being #blessed. Don't know about going to War, but everyone being hesitant about that is probably a great thing.

It's too easy to wage war in this day, and age. If our world leaders realised that to declare war would mean sacrificing 20k+ of their citizens, they wouldn't enter into it as blithely as they do.

And, increasingly, the soldiers are detached from the rest of the population. Am in the middle of reading "Billy Lynn's Long Half Time Walk" which captures this - excellent read.

Also, a thumbs up for The War, or pretty much anything by Ken Burns.

Absolutely. There has been money put into renewables for decades, but you do wonder how on earth Germany leads tech. In the back of my head I think I remember the CSIRO developed some break-throughs but Australia didn't capitalise on them, but all I can find via a quick Google search is that they did Solar Water Heater research in the 1950s which led to companies that are still going today; and otherwise there are a bunch of new stories about potential break-throughs over the years. The latest is that they generated 'supercritical' steam - i.e. using solar they made water hot enough to generate energy on par with advanced fossil fuel power stations. That was a June 2014 press release.

The fact Shorten worked so well in the Disability sector I think means he is clearly very different to Rudd. Working well in foreign affairs is largely about your ability to communicate the right messages to different audiences - one ego can drive it all. Understanding Disability would require listening, empathy, patience, bringing together the different groups to agree on the national framework, etc. But as I have said about Labor in the past, it could simply be that they actually listen to and use the public service which means their policies seem so much saner. Civil servants aren't geniuses, but they have stability in a role over decades and so long as they aren't 'captured' by a world view that biases their information collection, they should be very useful.

And don't knock 'selfies' instinctively. One plus side is it seems to make the kids be very conscious about fitness, yoga, 'superfoods', being #blessed. Don't know about going to War, but everyone being hesitant about that is probably a great thing.

I am on the Gen X/Baby Boomer cusp brother - so I belong to the most selfish generation ever!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back