Society/Culture Billionaires

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
& Gina is correct to challenge kids to think for themselves, unlike the Head of St Hilda's, who seems to see herself a censor not a teacher.
Theres challenging kids to think for themselves and theres teaching them to ignore established science so already immensely wealthy people can continue to make a few more bucks at the planet and humanity’s expense.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Theres challenging kids to think for themselves and theres teaching them to ignore established science so already immensely wealthy people can continue to make a few more bucks at the planet and humanity’s expense.

A short talk can only spark an interest. The kids are being educated, & at that age should be inquisitive.
IF the discussion is settle, kids will see that.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
A short talk can only spark an interest. The kids are being educated, & at that age should be inquisitive.
IF the discussion is settle, kids will see that.
Theres billions being poured into propaganda saying it isnt.

Outside of the us and australia the science is settled - theres no real argument against it.

Why is that i wonder?

Shall we have anti vaxxers and flat earthers give talks too?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Theres billions being poured into propaganda saying it isnt.

Outside of the us and australia the science is settled - theres no real argument against it.

Why is that i wonder?

Shall we have anti vaxxers and flat earthers give talks too?

My only comment is the selling of the argument is very pot holed. I supported Kevin07 even after Copenhagen* & only started questioning when Penny Wong told us the science is in.

* Rudd should have gone to a double dissolution that I firmly believe he would have won.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
He has this great public image but I've heard the bloke is a crook like the rest of them, lots of rumours about dodgy stuff with charities early on.
I dont reckon theres a billionaire on this planet with clean hands tbh - you have to be a bit of a junkyard dog to get there.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dont reckon theres a billionaire on this planet with clean hands tbh - you have to be a bit of a junkyard dog to get there.

Yeah, I hate how Elon Musk still has a pretty positive public image, even among "left-wing" people. That guy didn't create SpaceX and Tesla. He bought the rights to them. He came from an emerald mine owning family but acts like he's "self-made." He treats his employees like s**t, opposes unionisation against them, complains about wealth taxes but gets millions from the government, which prevented Tesla from going bankrupt. Called a cave diving guy a pedo, Hyperloop is a joke, confuses the moon and Mars, trashes nanotech, is an edgelord libertarian and pulled all that cringe "alpha male" bullshit on his ex-wife. I can't stand the narcissistic prick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Yeah, I hate how Elon Musk still has a pretty positive public image, even among "left-wing" people. That guy didn't create SpaceX and Tesla. He bought the rights to them. He came from an emerald mine owning family but acts like he's "self-made." He treats his employees like sh*t, opposes unionisation against them, complains about wealth taxes but gets millions from the government, which prevented Tesla from going bankrupt. Called a cave diving guy a pedo, Hyperloop is a joke, confuses the moon and Mars, trashes nanotech, is an edgelord libertarian and pulled all that cringe "alpha male" bullshit on his ex-wife. I can't stand the narcissistic prick.
Elon always speaks very highly of you ;)

There was an article I read a while ago written by a lady who worked for a super rich person. She said they would fly around, not needing their passports. They’d land in the private jet, get met by a customs agent who would tug the forelock and leave them alone.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
i know one billionaire quite well.

he's only just arrived back in Aus after escaping to the US for the past 12 months as him and his family won't get vaccinated.

odd guy. seems to be in a constant state of rejecting any meaningful conversation with anyone out of paranoia of them wanting something out of him.

the trouble is, billionaires have always existed: Marcus Crassus, John of Gaunt, Rockefeller, and so on. Not sure what can be done about it.
Equitable taxation.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't know how it works in Australia but in America, I think you have to sign some form and declare months in advance you're going to sell a lot of stock before you do. And if you're a billionaire, by the time you do, your wealth has probably grown to the point where you don't really lose anything when you sell-off. If I understand correctly, Bezos ex has given tens of billions to charity but her wealth hasn't taken a hit. So, I don't think being a billionaire by default makes you a bad person, nor refusing to want the government to take more of your wealth.

But I've yet to hear a convincing wealth tax reform proposal that would work and where that wealth would go. We need to figure out as a society a hierarchy of needs and direct any sort of wealth redistribution to those needs because I don't buy that there's enough wealth to eliminate poverty or anything like that. Don't the Americans spend trillions per year and still haven't been able to eradicate homelessness? There's always going to be corruption and infrastructure problems that hinder the effectiveness of spending but to be fair the private sector isn't much better either. But no billionaire can solve the world's problems, and if they want to have a mansion, yacht, and private jet, I don't see why not, though I do agree to have multiple of those high-end luxury goods is excessive.

edit: besides most billionaires have to be whether they want to or not because they'd lose control of their companies if they gave too much away.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
i know one billionaire quite well.

he's only just arrived back in Aus after escaping to the US for the past 12 months as him and his family won't get vaccinated.

odd guy. seems to be in a constant state of rejecting any meaningful conversation with anyone out of paranoia of them wanting something out of him.
Ive been around a few and its funny watching people react to them, its like in their heads they have this idea that this filthy rich geezer will completely lose control of their mental faculties and bestow a million dollars on them for ????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back