Society/Culture Billionaires

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It really is a good book. I like how some of his advice, while maybe not the 100% best idea from a numbers point of view, acknowledges the emotional side of money and being in control of it.

It’s not necessary to do things exactly the way he says it, but it gives a really clear plan that most people can take and adapt for their own life.

The big thing is, if as a young person you can get good habits and avoid racking up debt, you'll have a much better chance of getting in to a position where you can ride out the bumpy times in your financial life with a lot more assurance and security.

For many people, even having $2000 in the bank (the number he says to get ASAP) would add an immense amount of psychological comfort.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Let them eat cake.

I have a couple that are good friends who both work at coles. They make minimum wage, they have a house theyve bought with his father who lives with them. She doesnt drink, if he drank 2 cartons a year it would be a big year.

They dont have foxtel or any of the fripperies. They are broke. Always broke, the car always needs a tyre replaced and they buy them second hand from peoples casts off that have a mm or two left on them. They own one small fuel efficient car that cost them $1500.

They have to pinch every penny till it screams and they dont have any savings.

Not because they are stupid or lazy or any of that - they are hardworking folks - she works nightfill and he works days - so between them someone is home when the kids get home from school

they just dont earn enough money compared to what everything costs these days.

Everything costs so much more - mate i voted myself a payrise at the beginning of the year - put my rates up $10 an hour + gst and my travel time rates up 20c a km - im about to stick a fuel levy on to cover the outrageous cost of diesel.

Most professionals i know have gone to their bosses and gotten decent payrises …. Of course ceos etc just add another million or two plus stock options.

They are still getting paid what they were a year ago and it wasnt enough then. It sure as sh*t aint enough now.

Its $772 per week.

So multiply that by two and add some extra for nightfill.

Theres no overtime… coles dont like overtime you get time off in lieu. Aside from which if you work full time that should be funking enough to live - the minimum wage should be based on being able to live in our society at a level better than subsistence.

Its absolute bullshit.
True times are tough and as I said with the real estate issue but has anyone ever generally done that well working at a supermarket for their lives? There has always been battlers like that but are still generally a small % of the population.

That why you need to get skills and training..
And the pension and other forms of welfare are below the poverty line but we've cultivated this attitude of its poor people's fault they are poor
They need to be higher but the dole and pension have never ever been designed to live your whole life on and never should be.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
True times are tough and as I said with the real estate issue but has anyone ever generally done that well working at a supermarket for their lives? There has always been battlers like that but are still generally a small % of the population.

They need to be higher but the dole and pension have never ever been designed to live your whole life on and never should be.
No you shouldnt have to get skills and training.

If you funking work full time that should be enough to live.

Not flash… not a new car, not a flash suburb…. You arent going to have 3 streaming services and the latest flatscreen 96k tv.

Chances are you will have second hand furniture and you will still have to be careful with your money.

But you should be able to live and put some pennies away for a rainy day.

Theres millions of australians who did that for years. It was enough, it wasnt easy but it was doable.

This americans bullshit that minimum wage folk deserve to live in appalling poverty is only a new thing for them too. Back in the 60’s and 70’ you could live on minimum wage in the us same as you could here.

All thats happened is the arsewipes who control corporations have bought our politicians and have artificially kept minimum wage to way below inflation - and they - and you Kram

Can GAGF!!!

Society needs people in these jobs, we don't function without people stocking shelves or working check outs, we just apparently don't think they deserve a living wage for doing that necessary job
The pension was also designed when more people owned a home, and also died a lot sooner after retirement

Our economy is also designed on a guaranteed percentage of the population being unable to find work. We know there will always be more people than jobs but act like being unemployed is a choice

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
And the pension and other forms of welfare are below the poverty line but we've cultivated this attitude of its poor people's fault they are poor
Raising these should be good for the economy - poor people actually put extra money they get back into the economy, whereas to a degree, tax cuts for the wealthy get saved or artificially drive up the price of housing or shares.

But how sustainable is it? When aged pensions were introduced in the USA, there was five to six people working for every person taking a pension. Now it is 2:1 and headed toward 1:1.

I suppose people didn't live as long back in the day. Reminds me of the line in the Max Q song: "You are born into this world, looking down the barrel of a gun. And those who hold the gun want you to work fast and die young"

Raising these should be good for the economy - poor people actually put extra money they get back into the economy, whereas to a degree, tax cuts for the wealthy get saved or artificially drive up the price of housing or shares.

But how sustainable is it? When aged pensions were introduced in the USA, there was five to six people working for every person taking a pension. Now it is 2:1 and headed toward 1:1.

I suppose people didn't live as long back in the day. Reminds me of the line in the Max Q song: "You are born into this world, looking down the barrel of a gun. And those who hold the gun want you to work fast and die young"
Great song
I saw something re the greens proposal which was 40 billion a year
The stage 3 tax cuts are 20 billion out of the budget which doesn't get the scrutiny lifting people out of poverty does

A lot more of that 40 billion will go back into the economy than the money from thr tax cuts

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Its absolutely unaffordable to pay aged pensions

But totally affordable for a handful of people to have more wealth than 150 million countrymen.

This is where we are at…

Its absolutely unaffordable to pay aged pensions

But totally affordable for a handful of people to have more wealth than 150 million countrymen.

This is where we are at…
we couldn't possibly afford to lift people out of poverty and give our mate in the top 1% a big tax cut
so we picked the big tax cut

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
we couldn't possibly afford to lift people out of poverty and give our mate in the top 1% a big tax cut
so we picked the big tax cut
Ivory backscratcher sales stimulated funk out of the economy.

Jobs in ivory backscratcher carving in africa went up by 3

Those guys earning a whole dollar a day, spent the excess in their communities creating a cascade of trickledown economic effects such as…. Err…… economic growth!!!

Of course - As a result of the extra poached elephants the government had to buy a new helicopter and fifty new trainee anti poaching rangers so that kinda took the shine off the economic benefits.

- modern late stage capitalism….

elon31

Rookie
Apr 18, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
No you shouldnt have to get skills and training.

If you funking work full time that should be enough to live.

Not flash… not a new car, not a flash suburb…. You arent going to have 3 streaming services and the latest flatscreen 96k tv.

Chances are you will have second hand furniture and you will still have to be careful with your money.

But you should be able to live and put some pennies away for a rainy day.

Theres millions of australians who did that for years. It was enough, it wasnt easy but it was doable.

This americans bullshit that minimum wage folk deserve to live in appalling poverty is only a new thing for them too. Back in the 60’s and 70’ you could live on minimum wage in the us same as you could here.

All thats happened is the arsewipes who control corporations have bought our politicians and have artificially kept minimum wage to way below inflation - and they - and you Kram

Can GAGF!!!
Back in the 60/70s Australia ram the gold standard. In the early 80s under Hawke it was changed to fiat money, debt based, fake money economy also Australia went from a manufacturing based nation with secure jobs to service based economy as nearly all manufacturing went off shore along with most of our assets we sold to continue to pay off the debts.

Profits from companies go off shore now days as well to head quarters based in low taxed nations.
It’s a total different ball game now days

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
1651290716004.png

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
The cricketer in me rebels at the idea of forcing people to retire at 99*. The human in men thinks it sparkles. The child in me thinks the idea of a dog park named after everyone who got to 999 million is worth a giggle.

We're sorry sir, the system cannot show that many digits. 999,999,999.99 is the maximum number we can handle.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Back in the 60/70s Australia ram the gold standard. In the early 80s under Hawke it was changed to fiat money, debt based, fake money economy also Australia went from a manufacturing based nation with secure jobs to service based economy as nearly all manufacturing went off shore along with most of our assets we sold to continue to pay off the debts.

Profits from companies go off shore now days as well to head quarters based in low taxed nations.
It’s a total different ball game now days

Nixon getting rid of the gold standard for monopoly money seems to be related to some of the problems too

Nixon getting rid of the gold standard for monopoly money seems to be related to some of the problems too
Its not really. The problems were already there.

Money is just a concept, not a thing. Its a form of measurement. It measures the amount of access you have to resources. (Government is a resource btw, it supplies "power". But it doesn't have a monopoly on "power" tho it likes to think it does.)

Where did money come from?

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton

How would something like this even be policed and monitored?

Someone hits $999m in their account, then their account is blocked from income?
Do they acquire $900m then buy a house up to but limited at $99m?
Do the police follow them around to ensure they don't acquire any giant plates of metal gold that might tip their net worth over $999m?
What about their shares? Will they be watched closely and sold off in case any of their holdings tip them over the limit?
What if they hit $999m and just chuck anything more in their partners name?

How would something like this even be policed and monitored?

Someone hits $999m in their account, then their account is blocked from income?
Do they acquire $900m then buy a house up to but limited at $99m?
Do the police follow them around to ensure they don't acquire any giant plates of metal gold that might tip their net worth over $999m?
What about their shares? Will they be watched closely and sold off in case any of their holdings tip them over the limit?
What if they hit $999m and just chuck anything more in their partners name?

The same way that financial crimes are investigated and prosecuted today.

Nobody will care and the world will carry on regardless.

Back