Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 4 in the 2014 rookie draft.

Position: Midfielder
Height: 189cm
Weight: 87kg
DOB: 19/10/1996
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers

Notes:

In 2014, Bendigo’s Billy Evans has played a starring role as ruck-rover for Victoria Country at the national under-18 championships and for the Bendigo Bank Pioneers.

Evans played all six matches for Victoria Country, which included beating Victoria Metro twice.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/2462897/davie-and-evans-invited-to-state-draft-combine/

Billy EVANS
Bendigo Pioneers | 19/10/96 | H: 190cm | W: 87kg
Billy finished equal runner-up in our best and fairest and had a fantastic year. An inside midfielder who played well at the national carnival, he’s a tough inside ball winner, got good skills, is solidly built and pace is ok for his size. Been a lot of interest in him so we’re hopeful someone will take him in the draft. – Bendigo Pioneers region manager Ray Byrne

http://www.sen.com.au/news/2014-afl-mock-draft-40

Highlights:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-20/draft-prospect-billy-evans

Seems a likely type. Seemed to perform well in u18s, but like Rocky perhaps doesn't have the speed/endurance/fitness whatever that they wanted to get him drafted. Is a nice size and someone who can kick a goal is always handy. Looks like he could have an impact pretty quick as well, isn't a skinny lad.

Good highlights package. Plays like Brent Moloney.

From watching his highlights he seems to attack the contest and win his fair share of contested footy, however, his decision making is quite poor, his skills don't look any better then slightly above average and he rushes his disposal whenever he is under pressure. He has a fair bit to work on but the coaches have a fair bit to work with as well so hopefully he can carve out a nice career for the mighty Lions.

From watching his highlights he seems to attack the contest and win his fair share of contested footy, however, his decision making is quite poor, his skills don't look any better then slightly above average and he rushes his disposal whenever he is under pressure. He has a fair bit to work on but the coaches have a fair bit to work with as well so hopefully he can carve out a nice career for the mighty Lions.
Not sure if the Youtube highlights are a different selection but the highlights on the Lions website reveal him to have quite reasonable skills and decision making I thought. I would equate him more with Jack Redden than Tom Rockliff in that he is a similar height and plays pretty tough like Jack. More an old-fashioned ruck rover. Really nice pickup.

Not sure if the Youtube highlights are a different selection but the highlights on the Lions website reveal him to have quite reasonable skills and decision making I thought. I would equate him more with Jack Redden than Tom Rockliff in that he is a similar height and plays pretty tough like Jack. More an old-fashioned ruck rover. Really nice pickup.
Who really knows what his skills are like based off a small highlights package. That was just my view based of a very small sample size. For all I know he may have the skills of Simon Black.

On the SEN coverage of the National Draft, Leon Harris was willing/pleading for clubs to select Billy in the last few rounds. I know Mork loves his Vic Country boys but he is a great judge of a footballer. I must admit to being chuffed when I found out we had selected him in the Rookie Draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Billy to wear #46

Bendigo Pioneers region manager Ray Byrne also a big fan...
Billy finished equal runner-up in our best and fairest and had a fantastic year. An Inside midfielder who played well at the national carnival, he's a tough inside ball winner, got good skills is solidly built and pace is okay for his size.

Even with all our midfield acquisitions over the offseason I still felt like we were light on for inside ball winners. Evans certainly fits the Bill. Like the look of him a lot and probably looks as close as any of this crop of draftees to being ready to play in 2015.

Colin Wisbey

No surprise he missed as his pace is ordinary and his type (Sewell, Scott Burns) is often under-appreciated at draft time. I really rate his AFL potential though. Clean, smart, strong over the pill, attacks man and ball, excellent reader of both play and ball, generally good user. Has a terrific inside game.

and again

If anyone is interested, here is my pre-draft top "30"

(Excluding F/S and other pre-determined picks)

15 Billy Evans

Why_Didn't_They_Ask_Evans_First_Edition_Cover_1934.jpg

Like the Sewell type comparison, that is how i see him. Doesnt have the natural athletic abilities to be a stand out, but is a good size and if he can perform a role he could be a handy player. Especially when surrounded by the likes of Rocky, Rich, Beams, Bundy.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-12-04/role-change-helped-evans-

A shift from the forward line into the midfield could prove the making of Bendigo Pioneers prospect Billy Evans, who was taken by the Brisbane Lions with their first selection (Pick No.4 overall) at Wednesday’s AFL Rookie Draft.

Evans had played most of his junior football up forward, but it probably wasn’t until 2015 that he caught the eye of AFL recruiters after proving a valuable big-bodied midfielder.

He also supplemented his ball-winning ability (he averaged 23 disposals and four clearances per game in the TAC Cup last season) by being dangerous around goals (he kicked 14).

Evans’ ability to both win the ball in the middle and contribute to the scoreboard was ultimately what impressed Lions recruiters most.

I was sure we would either be taking panos or similarly built player, with reports that we were interested in mark wiley before he went to carlton (im assuming we wanted him as part of the Patfull deal), seemed like the club were very interested in following the craze of the AFL of getting a big body in as part of the midfield rotations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back