hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I have a feeling if Billy is kicking 40 goals they will be of more value to the team.
You'd like to think so, but considering we had the best attack in the game for 4 seasons while JJ was playing it would be a big ask.

FWIW I don't expect him to be kicking 40, what I'd like is for him to crash a few packs, get his 30 goals and provide more for others.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Roughs up the opposition, kicks a goal the opposition overreacts he gets another kick from the square.
12 pointers!
Going by his history he's likely to be the overreactor

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd like to think so, but considering we had the best attack in the game for 4 seasons while JJ was playing it would be a big ask.

FWIW I don't expect him to be kicking 40, what I'd like is for him to crash a few packs, get his 30 goals and provide more for others.
and we are still basking in the glory of the premierships that "best in show" forward line produced.

totally agree with your second paragraph.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
and we are still basking in the glory of the premierships that "best in show" forward line produced.

totally agree with your second paragraph.
Oh of course, but one can't say they didn't do their job.

Anyways, since we are talking about Frampton I'd like to see him given first crack in the pre season games. His SANFL form was better than Bergs and he's a more aggressive type.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Anyways, since we are talking about Frampton I'd like to see him given first crack in the pre season games. His SANFL form was better than Bergs and he's a more aggressive type.

Yeah. It adds some pressure to our young tall stocks. I just wish we had another early pick in this draft.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Based on nothing but gut feeling and a love of big angry forwards I think Billy makes it and turns into a winner for us.
Fill out that frame and unleash him.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Geez people get off quickly. You hit the nail in the head ...SANFL form.

We trade in a player who has played 3 AFL games in 5 years, and he’s suddenly a better player than a kid who was playing some quite decent AFL games this year.

I would say EH is more talented and a has a greater AFL ceiling, so hopefully he gets a start ahead of Billy. It’s in his hands of course - will need a big pre season.

I’m sure watching Billy in the SANFL will still be fun if you need your UFC fix.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Geez people get off quickly. You hit the nail in the head ...SANFL form.

We trade in a player who has played 3 AFL games in 5 years, and he’s suddenly a better player than a kid who was playing some quite decent AFL games this year.

I would say EH is more talented and a has a greater AFL ceiling, so hopefully he gets a start ahead of Billy. It’s in his hands of course - will need a big pre season.

I’m sure watching Billy in the SANFL will still be fun if you need your UFC fix.
I'm not jumping off as such, but if you're doing head to head now then Billy is in the lead.

It'll be good to see the 2 battle it out.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I have little we expectation of him being a genuine AFL standard player.
He is one of those guys who is good State League level, unsure at the next level. His aggressive nature is the win for us though.

We need a player like him on our list as depth. EH is more talented and having to compete Frampton every day at training for an AFL spot will make EH a better player.

Same with RoB. Frampton will give him a tough run at training with his natural agro and mongrel. Which should improve RoB.
That to me this the value in this trade. A mature ruck body for RoB to compete against.

For me he takes Hunter's spot on the list. Training fodder and State League mature body.

And if Frampton does go on to be a good AFL player it is a massive win.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not jumping off as such, but if you're doing head to head now then Billy is in the lead.

It'll be good to see the 2 battle it out.
On what possible basis is he ahead?

You’re making no allowance for the fact EH played 7 AFL games in a row this year and was then spelled to the SANFL.

Billy had a decent SANFL season and that’s all. And don’t forget 6 of his goals came in 1 game against us after his cheap sniper effort took out our best midfielder in the 1st quarter.

On what possible basis is he ahead?

You’re making no allowance for the fact EH played 7 AFL games in a row this year and was then spelled to the SANFL.

Billy had a decent SANFL season and that’s all. And don’t forget 6 of his goals came in 1 game against us after his cheap sniper effort took out our best midfielder in the 1st quarter.

I would say a person who switches to a KPF, and then operates a goal kicking click that is better than the leading goal kicker in the league with a large sample size has had a much better season than "decent".

They're very equal right now. Two players who are very much stuck in limbo of being in the KPF depth chart. I also expect Billy to inevitably beat Himmelberg in that fight, providing he keeps that aggression. After all, aggression is gold in a role player, especially when both offer a very similar tool kit outside of it. Beating Himmelberg, and ending up best 22 are two different questions, though again, Billy seems like an easy fit right now being the anti-Jenkins in terms of contested ball (which neutralising at minimum marking contests is very important to the defensive side of the game).

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up setting up Himmelberg to move towards defense if anything.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would say a person who switches to a KPF, and then operates a goal kicking click that is better than the leading goal kicker in the league with a large sample size has had a much better season than "decent".

They're very equal right now. Two players who are very much stuck in limbo of being in the KPF depth chart. I also expect Billy to inevitably beat Himmelberg in that fight, providing he keeps that aggression. After all, aggression is gold in a role player, especially when both offer a very similar tool kit outside of it. Beating Himmelberg, and ending up best 22 are two different questions, though again, Billy seems like an easy fit right now being the anti-Jenkins in terms of contested ball (which neutralising at minimum marking contests is very important to the defensive side of the game).

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up setting up Himmelberg to move towards defense if anything.
I get that everyone has a big hard on for the aggression, which would be great if we were getting set for the 1972 season.

Football is a little different in 2020. Sure we still need a strong attack at the ball, but the whole bloodlust excitement that Billy is creating is a bit archaic and frankly a bit disturbing.

In the end talent will determine who goes forward with an AFL career and I suspect EH has him pretty easily covered in that regard.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I get that everyone has a big hard on for the aggression, which would be great if we were getting set for the 1972 season.

Football is a little different in 2020. Sure we still need a strong attack at the ball, but the whole bloodlust excitement that Billy is creating is a bit archaic and frankly a bit disturbing.

In the end talent will determine who goes forward with an AFL career and I suspect EH has him pretty easily covered in that regard.
Unless Berg improve greatly with his contested Marking his progression will stall, He a lead up Tall, simliar to Walker, Fogarty, Lynch, only differance is he can back up the ruck,
Frampton at this time would be one of the best contest marks in the Crows squad,
Both are differant players both show aggesion, both need to improve in there ground ball work,
Both can back up in the Ruck but Frampton the better Ruck.
Pace wise hard to tell both look the same on the field,
Positioning again differant players but Frampton can play behind or infront.
Watching Both players I would pick Frampton before Berg at this time unless you want a sameness in our forward line with lead up players.

May 25, 2009
Back in S.A.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sporting Clube de Portugal

I call it the "Jenkins effect".:p

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Don't know how you can say he has him covered easily ??

He's a better mark, similar kick and more athletic. His aggression is important...... If he learns to control it. Similar to Fog.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't know how you can say he has him covered easily ??

He's a better mark, similar kick and more athletic. His aggression is important...... If he learns to control it. Similar to Fog.
I think he has more talent yes.

The issue here is that you are basing a higher rating on SANFL form alone.

EH has already done good things at AFL level and is 2 years the junior.

I also think the aggro card is way overplayed. It’s 2020. I think a few people here would be happier following UFC to be honest.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

I also think the aggro card is way overplayed. It’s 2020. I think a few people here would be happier following UFC to be honest.
MUST start to hang on to a lot more Marks than he has shown thus far in his career if he's ever going to be a top line forward. I don't know if it's a confidence thing or he just has hard hands but whatever it is he must improve that area of his game considerably.

I honestly would be looking at developing him as Key Defender where the spoil is just as important as the mark a lot of the time....and it consigns Hartigan to a depth role which is another plus.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

I'm not a UFC fan myself.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reckon Frampton will surprise a lot of people and become a bit of a cult hero at the Crows .
He is a very good contested mark , meeting the sherrin at it's highest point and not scared to crash packs to bring in our crumbing smalls .
Gets to a lot of contests that others would not and is an agile pressure forward - chase down tackler for someone of his height .
I can see Walker , Fogarty and Frampton complimenting each other nicely within our 2020 forward setup .

Last edited:
Back