Player Watch Billy Frampton - Traded to Collingwood

Your opinion on Billy:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone explain why COLL didn't simply sign Frampton as a DFA ?

The only thing I can think of is they were spooked another club would consider him as a DFA/PSD pick.

Might be the #27 Collingwood got for Brodie Grundy that was announced at the same time
Dont Get It Fran Healy GIF by Travis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing I can think of is they were spooked another club would consider him as a DFA/PSD pick.
Has to be it.....Used in the right way in the right system with his athleticism and kicking skills he might surprise some I think.

Jeremy Howe is in the twilight zone too.

Last edited:
I can only assume collingwood were worried someone else would get him if they let it go to delisted free agent.

He would have been a DFA .....if unsigned by COLL, then he would have gone in the ND .....then if not claimed, into the PSD
Agreed he would have been a DFA.

However, players who were previously on an AFL list have the option of nominating for the ND or PSD (noting that players who nominate for the ND, but aren't selected, are automatically nominated for the PSD). If he wanted to nominate solely for the PSD, then he would have had that option - as Hately did, not long ago.

If Welsh keeps progressing we may need points in '24, we could trade this Frampton pick for a '24 pick at some point.
At this stage it looks like we'll have a lot more delistings happening in 2023. We'll probably be using every draft pick we can get our hands on.

Can anyone explain why COLL didn't simply sign Frampton as a DFA ?
Several reasons...
  • It keeps good relations between ADEL and COLL, noting that we'll eventually be doing other deals in the future.
  • It reduces uncertainty, and prevents another club from gazumping them in the draft(s) or DFA signings.
  • It gets him into their system earlier, as otherwise they would need to wait for us to delist him before they can sign him.
It's not uncommon for trades to happen this way. We did something very similar a few years back, when we gave Geelong a token pick (which they didn't end up using) in return for Podsiadly.

Last edited:
Back