Billy Hartung v Jed Anderson

Who will have the better career

• Jed Anderson

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • Billy Hartung

Votes: 69 69.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty funny how people's opinions are so heavily persuaded after two games from Hartung. I've voted for Hartung because I think he will be a jet 200+ game player. However if Jed can get a run at it without persistent injuries, I wouldn't think it be unlikely for him to overtake Hartung. I also don't think they're similar players at all, and can't be compared.

Pretty funny how people's opinions are so heavily persuaded after two games from Hartung. I've voted for Hartung because I think he will be a jet 200+ game player. However if Jed can get a run at it without persistent injuries, I wouldn't think it be unlikely for him to overtake Hartung. I also don't think they're similar players at all, and can't be compared.

It's a big call because once your two best on-field leaders and two best players hang up the boots, either end of this year or next, (speaking of Hodge & Mitchell) the opposition just roll onto the next in line and that's often when we see what players are truly made of.
At the minute, they can run around without attracting much attention.

It's a big call because once your two best on-field leaders and two best players hang up the boots, either end of this year or next, (speaking of Hodge & Mitchell) the opposition just roll onto the next in line and that's often when we see what players are truly made of.
Footy ain't played that way anymore. Hell, Mitchell doesn't even get tagged these days. Hartung has a bright future and his destiny won't be determined by the retirements of Mitchell or Hodge.

You could say this off any team. We don't really know if Geelong has any good young players until Dangerfield and Selwood are gone. Is Luke Parker any good? We won't know until Kennedy and Hanneberry are gone.

Particularly as a midfielder these days with most teams playing zone defenses you're not going to always have the two best mids on each other and then the two second best on each other. It's a team vs team. Hawthorn might start losing more often when Hodge and Mitchell retire but I'd still expect Jordan Lewis will average about 30 touches and Billy Hartung will continue on with whatever average he has at that time. After all he did just play a very good game with Hodge not in the side. Would he have played a significantly worse game if Mitchell weren't there? I doubt it.

Its pretty obvious that Jeds injuries are a major concern. At this stage it would be nice for him to get some games under his belt

Footy ain't played that way anymore. Hell, Mitchell doesn't even get tagged these days. Hartung has a bright future and his destiny won't be determined by the retirements of Mitchell or Hodge.

In a vacuum that's true but I still see the point of what he says, and it does relate to all clubs, not just ours.

Mitchell, and therefore Hartung, may not take on tags as such, but when Hodge and Mitchell aren't there the next wave of mids are the ones required to do the heavy lifting. In Mitchell's case it will be interesting to see how these guys go without one of the GOATs there to distribute the ball and orchestrate play as well as Hodge and the direction he provides.

At the moment we have some great conductors but what will the music sound like when they aren't the leaders of the band?

In a vacuum that's true but I still see the point of what he says, and it does relate to all clubs, not just ours.

Mitchell, and therefore Hartung, may not take on tags as such, but when Hodge and Mitchell aren't there the next wave of mids are the ones required to do the heavy lifting. In Mitchell's case it will be interesting to see how these guys go without one of the GOATs there to distribute the ball and orchestrate play as well as Hodge and the direction he provides.

At the moment we have some great conductors but what will the music sound like when they aren't the leaders of the band?
Yes. It's the trickle down effect though. Hartung doesn't become your next Hodge or Mitchell. That assignment goes to Cyril and Shiels. Duryea and Langford become your new Cyril and Shiels and Hartung and Howe become your new Duryea and Langford. They aren't necessarily exactly like for likes, but so long as there's incremental improvements across the list as players mature the result is the same.

Back