Billy Hartung v Jed Anderson

Who will have the better career

• Jed Anderson

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • Billy Hartung

Votes: 69 69.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

hartung will have a solid career. I expect Anderson will be sporadically good but won't be as consistent.

My thoughts exactly.

I think Hartung will be a solid 150+ game player who will get his 20-25 possessions a game and contribute every week. Anderson will have games where he runs rings around the defence, and weeks where he will barely be sighted. A lot of that thought process has to do with his injury problems. He has a lot of potential though (Jed).

tumblr_inline_nvir5kpD5b1qdsle2_500.gif

Burgoyne is one of the best players I have ever seen. Anderson has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he will even be a poor mans Burgoyne.

As for the question of who is better.

Hawthorn fans say Hartung.
North fans say Anderson.

Everyone else is wondering why we are talking about 16-22 guys.

I chose these two guys because, even though Hartung & Anderson are different plsyers, it was Hartungs emergence that most likely kept Jed out of the side.

As Robbo would say; It's a bit of a sliding doors moment. Billy was fit at the right time, and played well enough to get his chance. Once Jed got himself fit and started to dominate in the VFL, it was too late, the Hawks were settled.

Hence the comparison.

Ps. Would like to hear from Hawks fans where they would rate Anderson against Savage? Seemingly similar situations.

I chose these two guys because, even though Hartung & Anderson are different plsyers, it was Hartungs emergence that most likely kept Jed out of the side.

As Robbo would say; It's a bit of a sliding doors moment. Billy was fit at the right time, and played well enough to get his chance. Once Jed got himself fit and started to dominate in the VFL, it was too late, the Hawks were settled.

Hence the comparison.

Ps. Would like to hear from Hawks fans where they would rate Anderson against Savage? Seemingly similar situations.
Anderson is better than Savage. Or what I should say is that he will be better if he can stay on the park.

As Robbo would say; It's a bit of a sliding doors moment. Billy was fit at the right time, and played well enough to get his chance. Once Jed got himself fit and started to dominate in the VFL, it was too late
, the Hawks were settled.

Hence the comparison.

Thats not entirely true.

Jed couldn't run out a game in the middle. That was the most obvious thing going against him.

I watched him light up games early, then fade away and play out the game in the forward pocket.

Jed will have bigger games and has the higher potential ceiling, but Hartung is a running freak and I'd choose him in a heartbeat.

Jed will have bigger games and has the higher potential ceiling, but Hartung is a running freak and I'd choose him in a heartbeat.

Yeah pretty good summation. Jed is the man who Hawthorn supporters really wanted to make it because the belief is that his best will be freakin terrific. However, whether he is able to produce that with any type of consistency is the question mark going forward.

Hartung on the other hand will almost certainly be a solid to very good player for many years.

Yeah pretty good summation. Jed is the man who Hawthorn supporters really wanted to make it because the belief is that his best will be freakin terrific. However, whether he is able to produce that with any type of consistency is the question mark going forward.

Hartung on the other hand will almost certainly be a solid to very good player for many years.

Here's an interesting hypothetical. Do you think Hawthorn would have done the trade last year with North if it was Hartung instead of Anderson.

Here's an interesting hypothetical. Do you think Hawthorn would have done the trade last year with North if it was Hartung instead of Anderson.

On Hartung's exposed form to this point.....no. In the end I think Jed was considered expendable.

I keep having to come back to Hartung being a better than 20 disposal, 1 goal a game player when he spends 70%+ TOG. There aren't many players who can boast that. He has his flaws. Great at running in straight lines but overall lateral movement and agility isn't particularly a strength, not overly strong in the air but even then opposition tried to play through him like that at points last year and it wasn't that effective. Also plays within his limitations usually as far as disposal is concerned, which is a good judgement trait in a younger player. As enticing as Anderson is as a prospect, on exposed form he's still an inconsistent, ball chasing inside mid who gets pushed off the ball pretty easily but is creative and has good contested and scoring instincts. Hope he does well this season at North.

Anderson couldn't run out a game, and has question marks over his durability. Neither of those two things raised much hope for him getting bigger so we could groom him for an inside mid role which is where we always wanted him to play, it was a good trade for both teams as his value for us seemed increasingly low. I mean near the end it seemed like he was competing with our small forwards for a spot and that just wasn't going to happen.

Hartung played 20 games for us last year and was screwed by the coaching staff trying to make him a super sub (where he struggled to make an impact), leading to him being dropped for form. He was better last year than his stats suggest, a lot of Hawks fans thought Hill was very lucky to stay in over Hartung.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jed Anderson. Hartung was made to look better then he actually is due to the fact that he plays in such a gun team.
So logically speaking if Jed was better then he would've looked even better than Hartung did in the same gun team. Which he didn't over a series of games.

So logically speaking if Jed was better then he would've looked even better than Hartung did in the same gun team. Which he didn't over a series of games.
Hartung is a decent enough prospect don't get me wrong. Just think he has been made to be better then he actually is. Could still turn out to be a very handy player. I think Anderson could be something special and have for some time.

Hartung is a decent enough prospect don't get me wrong. Just think he has been made to be better then he actually is. Could still turn out to be a very handy player. I think Anderson could be something special and have for some time.
Just questioning your logic. Hartung dominates at VFL while Anderson played only a handful of dominant games at that level (some due to injury but others just because he is inconsistent). Then when both are in the same AFL team you only think it's Hartung who is made to look good by his team mates. Just doesn't make any sense.

Just questioning your logic. Hartung dominates at VFL while Anderson played only a handful of dominant games at that level (some due to injury but others just because he is inconsistent). Then when both are in the same AFL team you only think it's Hartung who is made to look good by his team mates. Just doesn't make any sense.

Not really.

Hartung played 2 games in the VFL in 2015.

In 2014, he averaged 13 touches a game from 11 matches there.

In 2015 Anderson averaged 15 touches a game and kicked 25 goals (1.7 goals a game) from 15 games.

Not really.

Hartung played 2 games in the VFL in 2015.

In 2014, he averaged 13 touches a game from 11 matches there.

In 2015 Anderson averaged 15 touches a game and kicked 25 goals (1.7 goals a game) from 15 games.
So you're comparing Hartung in his first ever season to Anderson's 3rd (will say effectively 2nd due to injury/illness).

Then in Hartung's 2nd season he plays well at VFL (average 22 touches playing on wing), stays in AFL side for majority of the season and is unlucky not to be a premiership player now. Also managing to average comparable stats (15 touches, 11 goals from the wing) playing as the green vest sub in 10 of his 20 games.

So you're comparing Hartung in his first ever season to Anderson's 3rd (will say effectively 2nd due to injury/illness).

Then in Hartung's 2nd season he plays well at VFL (average 22 touches playing on wing), stays in AFL side for majority of the season and is unlucky not to be a premiership player now. Also managing to average comparable stats (15 touches, 11 goals from the wing) playing as the green vest sub in 10 of his 20 games.

I'm not saying Anderson is the better player at all, but just stating what you said wasn't really correct at all.

I'm not saying Anderson is the better player at all, but just stating what you said wasn't really correct at all.
Is it that there was only 2 games at VFL level in 2015? All I said was that he was dominant at the level which led to his promotion to AFL ahead of Jed in 2015. That much was true. Billy made VFL players look like slow plodders tearing up and down the wings. Anderson had a few nice games but they were mostly running around at half forward and not defending as hard as he tried to get on the score board.

If Anderson can work on his discipline to defend (yeah he tackles hard like a bull but there's more to it than that) and can improve his tank and luck with soft tissue injuries then we could see more games like his NAB1 against Collingwood last year. Until then he is so far behind Hartung.

Is it that there was only 2 games at VFL level in 2015? All I said was that he was dominant at the level which led to his promotion to AFL ahead of Jed in 2015. That much was true. Billy made VFL players look like slow plodders tearing up and down the wings. Anderson had a few nice games but they were mostly running around at half forward and not defending as hard as he tried to get on the score board.

If Anderson can work on his discipline to defend (yeah he tackles hard like a bull but there's more to it than that) and can improve his tank and luck with soft tissue injuries then we could see more games like his NAB1 against Collingwood last year. Until then he is so far behind Hartung.

I really think that is down to continuity in his football, he's played what? 15 games since 2013. With most of that being at VFL level, and the vast portion of his experience at AFL level has been as a sub.

I think 20+ games at AFL level this year will hopefully expedite his development.

I don't think he's ever going to be a 25 possession a game midfielder, but he's got an excellent example in Shaun Higgins of someone who he can model his role on imo.

I really think that is down to continuity in his football, he's played what? 15 games since 2013. With most of that being at VFL level, and the vast portion of his experience at AFL level has been as a sub.

I think 20+ games at AFL level this year will hopefully expedite his development.

I don't think he's ever going to be a 25 possession a game midfielder, but he's got an excellent example in Shaun Higgins of someone who he can model his role on imo.
I hope he does reach his potential (but is rubbish when playing the Hawks). He's an exciting player when he has one of his good games.

Back