Billy Hartung - where's he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest it's not his contested work that frustrates me its more his decision making under pressure and when he has it on the run, 2/10 times he makes the right decision when he has it open space majority of the time- he has no idea.

He aint a footballer, just a athlete pretending to be a footballer.

I've got a great idea. Why doesn't the pack pick on one player after a loss. Hey, and why not, pick on the easiest of targets. That will prove our manhood.

As i cried from the stands, beer in hand, that this one player was the reason for our loss. He's a pretender. Slurp. Soft as butter. Slurp.

Not 2 set shots out on the full by the captain. Not some dodgey handballs by our leading stat winner, not an insipid forward line effort, not the coaching box lousy effort, ... Not a team game at all. Let's pick out someone to prey upon. Only 22 in a team, but one is to blame...

Always the easy targets....

I love these "Where is X at" threads.

They usually end with the poster looking very, very stupid!

;)

Sorry fellas, but I think you're both off on this one.

Is this thread saying he won't make it? Nope. Is this thread saying he was the only one alone having a poor game? Absolutely not.

Yep, we did have a bunch of passengers out there today - but if we can't critique player performances after a loss, what's the point of discussing them a day, two days, a month later - why bother being fans?.

Does time make the conversation more "appropriate"?

He needs to wear Brad Hill's old arm message, the one that just said "Run!"

It's a confidence thing...like a few have said, I think we wouldn't mind him making mistakes by trying to beat a man. It's when he stops and props, and dishes off to a worse option.

It depends on his belief that if he does hold it and run, eventually an option will eventuate. At the moment it seems as if when he doesn't see a long range option in front, he very quickly feels he needs to take the closer possession option.

Just run until they catch you, Billy ...

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

He's much better than he was earlier this season, he has grown in confidence. He will stay in the team until someone else offers something better.

But I can appreciate others here saying let's not pick on our players after a loss. Agreed, not a good moment for balanced appraisal.

I really want Billy to kill it for us but cant help but think he is only in the side right now because of our long list of outs.
I suspect with a full list he would be at Box Hill.

But Billy.......prove me wrong mate and be the player we need and want you to be.
:thumbsu:

Is this thread saying he won't make it? Nope. Is this thread saying he was the only one alone having a poor game? Absolutely not.

Yep, we did have a bunch of passengers out there today - but if we can't critique player performances after a loss, what's the point of discussing them a day, two days, a month later - why bother being fans?.

So, do you like all the sensible, reasoned, logical posts in here?

Yes, I'm still looking for them, as well!

;)

Still too hesitant for me. Doesn't seem confident to commit himself to a long hard run when he has the ball. Rather, stops then handballs sideways or backwards . If he does that he should run forward at speed to create a handball or marking option.
Will need to keep improving or his wing position will be lost to someone like Glass.

I'm just commenting that the critique of players always seems to be pointed at a select few.

Always easy to pick the lowest hanging fruit. Again and again and again.

He has improved quite markedly this season, especially post-bye. He just needs to run. Attack.

You can't defend Billy, you're hopeless at that. But when you run with confidence you are a weapon. Use it!

I think the reason why Billy cops a bit of slack is because the potential is so obviously there. It's just disappointing when the output doesn't match.

Been hopeful that Billy would have come on as the younger ones have.
I'm thinking it's a confidence thing; that can turn him around or maybe try him out as a crumbing forward may help him.
The coaches seem supportive of him, a few tweeks to his game may help.
I just hope he's not the type to get down on himself and has someone at the club giving him good advice to help his confidence going.
I recall as a junior he could kick multiple goals so maybe deep forward can help - hope it does.

I actually thought Billy was one of our better players yesterday.. Must have been watching a different game..

In a game where we lacked intensity and organization for 3 quarters, he was one of the few having a crack..

Also, it's easy to watch him run up the wing on tv and wonder why he stops and looks sideways/backwards, but our forward structure was atrocious yesterday.. Several times billy had he ball and his choice was to either bomb it to rance, or pass backwards to a teammate..

He was far from our worst yesterday imo..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me he has shown glimpses this year but agree with the limited options he has when he does get on his bike due to everyone squeezing up into defence. Have been thinking for a while now that he needs to model himself on Tom Scully.

Past 6-8weeks I thought he's been pretty good.
He isn't the normal fast player, in that he doesn't run forward onto the loose ball, but he is breaking lines in the contest, and creating some run.

He does need to work on his decision making as he is selling teammates into trouble, but he isn't alone in that, these days 75% of the league is prone to doing so

I like Billy and hope that he continues to develop his game.

Some nuances of his game that I've noticed.

1. He has very little lateral movement. Whenever he has the ball he can't run or move to his left. I'm not sure if he lacks agility or because he's not confident on his left. I hope he works hard on both in the off season. He is easy to corral probably due to both of these reasons.
2. He is at his most damaging if gets the ball forward of the wing close to the square running into half forward. I've seen him kick some great goals from there.

On EVA-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. He has very little lateral movement. Whenever he has the ball he can't run or move to his left. I'm not sure if he lacks agility or because he's not confident on his left. I hope he works hard on both in the off season. He is easy to corral probably due to both of these reasons.
2. He is at his most damaging if gets the ball forward of the wing close to the square running into half forward. I've seen him kick some great goals from there.

Really?

I prefer him to get it just outside the defensive 50, decide to take the game on and run past traffic, rather than initially kicking it long to 80 metres out, getting in a position to kick it inside 50. Shame we just dont have any really great contested marking beasts inside 50...

reckon Clarko needs to go to Billy - we have 3 games left mate & all i want you to do is full on run & attack for those 3 games just to prove it to himself (& us)

not sure he has it but lets have a look

As straight line as they come. Tested poor for agility in the draft camp and hasn't improved it unfortunately

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure he tackled Dustin Martin and took him to ground. In this season, truly anything is possible.

He doesn't understand how to use space. This makes it hard to kick to him as he tends to run hard into the space rather than allow the kicker to put the ball into space and he runs into it. Hill was fantastic at this which is why he was a player we could use as an outlet.

Also, billy struggles to pick up a bouncing ball. This is really holding him back. Too often a ball is bouncing loose with billy in pursuit only for a more physical player to come in and take it cleanly first time.

If he fixes those two parts to his game he can make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back