Billy Hartung

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah he had a good 2015.
2016 showed that you need to contribute more than just be a lock down player and he was off the pace before he had that crippling injury. Game has changed in two years and his injury isn’t going to make him any quicker.
Needs to be smart not fast. It’s why he goes to Cotchin instead of Martin. I hope he can still take the slower gun mids. Hartung could take the runners - gaff etc.

Needs to be smart not fast. It’s why he goes to Cotchin instead of Martin. I hope he can still take the slower gun mids. Hartung could take the runners - gaff etc.
Yeah good luck to him. Horrendous injury.
Good to see Coach Scott give him another year to see if he has anything left.

Yeah he had a good 2015.
2016 showed that you need to contribute more than just be a lock down player and he was off the pace before he had that crippling injury. Game has changed in two years and his injury isn’t going to make him any quicker.
Not sure where you're coming from with this, from memory I actually thought he improved at the start of 2016 and started adding more strings to his bow before injury crippled him. He definitely has the ability to be more than a lock-down player, as evidenced by the fact that in his first VFL game back after over a year off he racked up something like 45 possessions as an inside mid.

Was tagging Cotchin out of a game the best individual accomplishment for a North player in the past twenty years? I can’t think of many others off the top of my head. Any Brownlows, Colemans, premierships or Norm Smiths? Has to be up there.

It would be sad if Jacobs falls behind Hartung in the pecking order for tagging at North Melbourne. Hopefully they duke it out this off-season in a true clash of the titans.

Not sure where you're coming from with this, from memory I actually thought he improved at the start of 2016 and started adding more strings to his bow before injury crippled him. He definitely has the ability to be more than a lock-down player, as evidenced by the fact that in his first VFL game back after over a year off he racked up something like 45 possessions as an inside mid.
What extra strings are you referring to? Averaged 12 possessions in his 7 games at AFL level in 2016.

Didn’t see him in 2017 but if it’s a VFL game you are referring to I’d take it with a grain of salt. Seem to remember him doing this in VFL some years ago too, but it didn’t work for him when he stepped up to AFL standard, so was used as a negating tagger.

Was tagging Cotchin out of a game the best individual accomplishment for a North player in the past twenty years? I can’t think of many others off the top of my head. Any Brownlows, Colemans, premierships or Norm Smiths? Has to be up there.

It would be sad if Jacobs falls behind Hartung in the pecking order for tagging at North Melbourne. Hopefully they duke it out this off-season in a true clash of the titans.
You're such a moron, I don't think I even need to say why. Have a look at the year we won our last premiership, ****head.

What extra strings are you referring to? Averaged 12 possessions in his 7 games at AFL level in 2016.

Didn’t see him in 2017 but if it’s a VFL game you are referring to I’d take it with a grain of salt. Seem to remember him doing this in VFL some years ago too, but it didn’t work for him when he stepped up to AFL standard, so was used as a negating tagger.
These are his player ratings from 2016 before injury, he came off an injury-interrupted pre-season as well.
2 Bris Tagged Rich out of the contest. Great sacrificial game. 8
3 Melb Had no interest in getting ball, only in attaching himself to N.Jones’ back. Did a decent job. 6
4 Frem Tried to latch onto Fyfe but had little success curtailing his influence. Kicking at times poor. 4
5 GCS Rotated through various opponents and was OK. 4
6 WB Started on playmaker Hunter and was also able to create play in his own right. 6
7 StK Crucial role in negating Saints playmaker Jack Steven. 7
8 Ess Tagged Zaharakis out of the game in another fine performance for the team. 8
He was rusty at first after missing most of pre-season, but from memory his games against WB and Essendon were very impressive, winning the ball and attacking as well as doing his usual lockdown job. This made it even more frustrating at the time that he couldn't get his body right. Here's to hoping that he's turned the corner.

You're such a moron, I don't think I even need to say why. Have a look at the year we won our last premiership, ****head.
I was just asking if it had been the greatest individual achievement from a North player in the past twenty years because I wasn’t sure of any else, that’s why I asked. It also seems to be something pretty highly regarded among the North fans. That’s all.

It’s pretty cool you guys won a flag in 1999 though. That year feels like yesterday. Pretty sure Ricky Martin’s Livin La Vida Loca was a smash hit in ‘99. I wonder what Ricky is up to these days...

Anyway, keep us updated on who gets that number one tagger role. Some serious running capacity between Hartung and Jacobs.

These are his player ratings from 2016 before injury, he came off an injury-interrupted pre-season as well.

He was rusty at first after missing most of pre-season, but from memory his games against WB and Essendon were very impressive, winning the ball and attacking as well as doing his usual lockdown job. This made it even more frustrating at the time that he couldn't get his body right. Here's to hoping that he's turned the corner.
I hope he gets over his injury too. But those seven games you quoted he was used as a lock down tagger that averaged 12 disposals in those games. Not an example of how he’s evolved his game at all.

He’s only had over 24 disposals once in his career and that was three seasons ago.

If he can come back and do the same for you guys I’d say that would be a good return for him. But to say he has shown more than that, and to expect more from him after such a bad injury is probably asking too much when he’s never done it at the highest level.

Hartung as a lockdown tagger is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard.

He’s a running machine. A lightly built outside runner.

One of the biggest reasons Hawthorn posters potted him so much(other than the poor decision making) is due to the amount of times opponents either brushed him aside or walked through his tackles.

Hartung as a lockdown tagger is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard.

He’s a running machine. A lightly built outside runner.

One of the biggest reasons Hawthorn posters potted him so much(other than the poor decision making) is due to the amount of times opponents either brushed him aside or walked through his tackles.
We also used Gibson to run with players. Billy might be handy running with a Gaff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We also used Gibson to run with players. Billy might be handy running with a Gaff.
Run with, sure, but don’t expect him to lockdown on someone and fight it out with them for 4 quarters, it’s not him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back