Delisted Billy Longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Unacceptable really, hope Hickey dominates training to show him how its done..
So White to full forward and JB to give Big Hick a chop-out?

I reckon Billy will come around he is just a big kid who is taking a little while to get the gist of whats expected, he will need to grow up quickly as spots on lists are like gold.
Worse case scenario is we get a good pick from someone who believes they can get the best out of him, come on down Carlton

Lewis Pierce, come on down.

He was meant to play at the end of last year, before getting injured.
He'd want to have put on fair bit of bulk; 88kg is still very slim for a 202cm bloke.

Yes because he would still be at his drafted weight after two pre-seasons.

Heading into his third.
Not suggesting he's still 88kg, but he'd need to be up around to ton to have a genuine presence in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not suggesting he's still 88kg, but he'd need to be up around to ton to have a genuine presence in the middle.

It actually really frustrates me that the club does not update the height and weight of players. They are miles of my opinion. I recently walked past Jimmy Webster. I am 188cm but J Webb seemed a fair bit taller than me. Was also a much broader man in real life than I would have expected. No way is he 188cm and 78kgs as listed on the Saints site. I would say 191cm & 87kgs is more realistic.

Conversely I have also seen Lee up close, and he just doesn't seem 194cm at all. Does not look a cm over 191 in person and has zero bulk to his frame. I have not seen any photos of Lee and Webster side by side, but Webster looks like a bigger man up close.

Last edited by a moderator:
He'd want to have put on fair bit of bulk; 88kg is still very slim for a 202cm bloke.
Would still rather give Pierce first crack at it, despite being a beanpole. If Longer wants to come back all fat from preseason that stuff him. He needs to win back the respect of the playing group by dominating in the 2's for a bit. Dane Swan is the only player capable of getting away with being a fatso these days.

FWIW, I rate a Hickey/Pierce combo as potentially better than Hickey/Longer anyway. I am not saying that Pierce is a better ruck than Longer, however if we are going to play 2 ruckman they are both going to inevitably have to spend some time forward. At least Pierce has sticky fingers, Longer's marking is a real weakness. Love his aggression, but he is just not a one grab player. Pierce is a beanpole but still capable of plucking the odd mark.

Would still rather give Pierce first crack at it, despite being a beanpole. If Longer wants to come back all fat from preseason that stuff him. He needs to win back the respect of the playing group by dominating in the 2's for a bit. Dane Swan is the only player capable of getting away with being a fatso these days.

FWIW, I rate a Hickey/Pierce combo as potentially better than Hickey/Longer anyway. I am not saying that Pierce is a better ruck than Longer, however if we are going to play 2 ruckman they are both going to inevitably have to spend some time forward. At least Pierce has sticky fingers, Longer's marking is a real weakness. Love his aggression, but he is just not a one grab player. Pierce is a beanpole but still capable of plucking the odd mark.
Agree wholeheartedly. Looked reasonably able as a forward target from what I saw at Sandy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did travel to NZ and has completed the same training loads as the others, or I haven't heard otherwise. Where did we get the banned from pre-season training from? I think Longer was admirable without being remarkable last year. But he stood up when required. We tend to forget just how young he is. Streets ahead of other ruckmen of the same age IMO.

So Billy has officially been written off based on an anonymous post. All faith in Lewie now.

Oh yeah, Billy can't take a mark... strange that was his strength as a U18 ruckman.

FWIW Billy spent some of the break in the States watching a mate play college football. He probably had a few frothies too.

So Billy has officially been written off based on an anonymous post. All faith in Lewie now.

Oh yeah, Billy can't take a mark... strange that was his strength as a U18 ruckman.

FWIW Billy spent some of the break in the States watching a mate play college football. He probably had a few frothies too.

Based on the below I would say there is a fair chance the rumour has substance. That is not just a bad shot, you can see the extra weight around his face, he returned in rubbish shape.

Personally I am not writing Billy off, but have absolutely no problem with the club making an example of him. We have a young impressionable group, to return from the break in that kind of condition is disappointing from Longer.

We finished dead last in 2014 and Longer averaged 7 possessions a game. Sure he is young, but he has a lot of work to do if he wants to make it at AFL level. He has probably set his preseason back another 4 weeks because he has not shown enough constraint on his break. For a young guy like him, even if he hit the grog pretty hard for a couple of weeks you wouldn't blow up this much unless you are doing the double, burgers & booze.

As for his marking, I hope your right. I don't tend to see much if any under 18 footy, but what I have seen from him at senior level and the Zebs doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he is an aerial threat at all. Maybe it is a confidence thing, and he will start to clunk a few once he is more established.

Let's hope he learns from it and gives In & Out burger a miss next offseason.

10549207_10152630952653183_7855347782373245205_o.jpg

Not sure whether the 3 week ban is accurate but it's well known in the industry that hardwork wasn't one of Billy's traits under Vossy in Brisbane.
Even last year he was shown up as having zero tank to spread when we had the ball, so he has a lot of work to do.

is there any truth to this?
I almost guarantee that "banned from training" really means "you have 3 weeks doing running and biking, deal with it" otherwise that weight isnt going to go.

He does look terrible in that photo though. I wonder if he has a food intolerance thats causing more fat because a 22yo athlete should not be putting on that much weight even over a lazy preseason.

Sandringham have a "fat club" for players that are deemed to have excessively high skin-folds. These players are segregated from the others, and sacrifice time spent on skills and resistance training (weights) in order to spend a greater proportion of their training doing high-intensity or long-duration cardiovascular exercise, in an attempt to help lose weight. Given the affiliation, I would suggest that St Kilda have an identical (or, at least, very similar) structure as what I stated above. If this is the case, Billy will have trained with the group (as the photos prove) at some points, and will have been taken aside, potentially with others, at other times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back