Billy Longer to re-sign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats pretty ordinary for a guy purporting to be a professional athlete. Remember the preseason before last he got a rocket for returning unfit etc. Some blokes dont appreciate what the have until its gone !

Even though he has just resigned I wouldnt be the least surprised to see him traded this or next year...
Unlikely to be this year but could definitely see it happening because Hickey is playing very well

No offence to Rainmans post.
But other Peeps shouldnt be talking about trading a good player because 1 guy does a post on here saying " i saw so n so doing a naughty thing".

Whats that old song line? Believe half of what you see. And none of what you hear.
Need to trade Carlisle then as well. Loves a dart.

The fact that Ben Cousins is the only one to go off the rails is almost testament to the argument that methamphetamine is less harmful. To overly simplify, smoking and drinking is much worse for an athlete on a baseline level, however methamphetamine has a higher potential ceiling of ill effects, such is life....I mean, such is the case with Cousins.

Ben is the only public case of 'going off the rails'.

Two players who were traded last year & haven't played for their new clubs have significant issues.

Personally I d much rather see a player light up a durry & washes it down with a frothy than do a line, pop a tab or suck on the end of a pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should get out more & see how many AFL players from all clubs drink, smoke & do worse than that.

He's in the 2's because Hickey is having a superb season whereas he had a shoulder reco & then a bad concussion.

Think a lot of people on here don't remember what they did in their 20's .
Whilst is disappointing to hear that Billy might smoke , more for his health long term but it is his life.

Rapt he & Lewis have committed to club & the plan .

All about club building depth in all areas something again we have not done well in past but are doing this time.

Ben is the only public case of 'going off the rails'.

Two players who were traded last year & haven't played for their new clubs have significant issues.

Personally I d much rather see a player light up a durry & washes it down with a frothy than do a line, pop a tab or suck on the end of a pipe.

This is a common thought amongst the general public, but is unfounded from a factual point of view. All drugs, which of course includes alcohol and tobacco, are nothing more than a molecule and how they interact with the body is not opinionated and is distinct from a country's laws and any stigma. It's a common logical fallacy, and can easily be exposed when you query if alcohol is magically more dangerous in Islamic countries were it is an illegal substance; of course it isn't.
Legality does not correlate with safety; alcohol is the number 1 most dangerous drug, with tobacco 6th. As far as sporting performance goes, those two would have to be the worst:
  • Alcohol is calorie dense, therefore leading to easy weight gain
  • Alcohol inhibits recovery due to its metabolism being prioritised to the liver AND by causing dehydration
  • Alcohol hinders training performance the following day, if taken in excess
  • Tobacco harms the cardiovascular and respiratory system quite gravely
For an athlete, and for general health, it is inarguably healthier to 'do a line' or 'pop a tab' than to drink and smoke.

No offence to Rainmans post.
But other Peeps shouldnt be talking about trading a good player because 1 guy does a post on here saying " i saw so n so doing a naughty thing".

Whats that old song line? Believe half of what you see. And none of what you hear.

When I saw Billy out he was hanging with a big group of Sandy boys and Freeman after training at Grill'd, seemed to be the social ring leader and was obviously a well liked happy guy. Seems a terrific guy the couple of times I have met him, a big cuddly laconic guy who is very warm and sociable. Doesn't appear as too much trouble, some of the guys who were with him at club stuff suggested he's more the type who wants to sleep 14 hours a day and can be late to training because he was living out near Eltham or somewhere out that way with his folks- might have moved since. There are guys at the club who appear to be off field trouble, Id be surprised...actually shocked if he was one.

To clarify:

I didn’t post those comments insinuating that Longer was a trouble maker or anything to that nature.

I was just more disappointed that an athlete in the first place would be smoking.

Knowing what we know today it’s just stupid and even more stupid when you are an athlete and given the chance of a lifetime.

To his defence he wasn’t wasted or being obnoxious.

He was just having fun with his mates (none of them from the VFL)

However It was good to see while lining up to take a piss he wasn’t one of those ‘men’ who like to go to the cubicle to pee if you know what I mean?

Last edited:
As long as he's not eating KFC buckets in inappropriate footwear

Don't get me started on footwear. He was perusing the ingredients list for the burgers so he was pretty careful and didn't go for chips and soft drink. They are pretty careful these days so hopefully he was just getting lead astray once by mates who don't play footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back