Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

Billy Longer vs Brodie Grundy

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The general view of Collingwood supporters i take it? The same ones that though the umpiring was also fine. When a team has control of the game you'd assume you a ruck man on that side would get more of the ball just through weight of numbers.
Actually it was from where I was sitting, on the St. Kilda wing, where I somehow managed to sit. And to be honest the umpiring in the first quarter favoured the Saints heavily, I saw Cloke get both of his arms held behing his back for no free. As the game went on in favored Collingwood more, but all teams have to go through that. God knows we have.

If you want to go that way, yes we won this game by a fair margin, but what about overall?

Grundy has consistently proven even in games that Collingwood has lost that he has a much bigger impact around the ground, taking more marks, kicking more goals, more I50's and in general the better footballer.

Longer has a slight advantage in hitouts, but he has also had one more year in the system than Grundy has (plus Grundy has had a few interrupted preseasons, not sure about Longer).

So in all Grundy has proven at the highest level that he is better around the ground, he has proven that he is the better footballer. And after all that he is a whole year younger than Longer? Grundy at the level he currently is has been our best ruckman in the past 20 years, bar Jolly at the peak of his powers.

Actually it was from where I was sitting, on the St. Kilda wing, where I somehow managed to sit. And to be honest the umpiring in the first quarter favoured the Saints heavily, I saw Cloke get both of his arms held behing his back for no free. As the game went on in favored Collingwood more, but all teams have to go through that. God knows we have.

If you want to go that way, yes we won this game by a fair margin, but what about overall?

Grundy has consistently proven even in games that Collingwood has lost that he has a much bigger impact around the ground, taking more marks, kicking more goals, more I50's and in general the better footballer.

Longer has a slight advantage in hitouts, but he has also had one more year in the system than Grundy has (plus Grundy has had a few interrupted preseasons, not sure about Longer).

So in all Grundy has proven at the highest level that he is better around the ground, he has proven that he is the better footballer. And after all that he is a whole year younger than Longer? Grundy at the level he currently is has been our best ruckman in the past 20 years, bar Jolly at the peak of his powers.

Even Collingwood supporters are pointing out that Grundys tap work is behind and have even tried to swing some of the blame onto the mids. Longer is one of the best tap ruckman for his age we've seen for a long time. Longer also was severly hampered with injury in his two years at Brisbane.

Even Collingwood supporters are pointing out that Grundys tap work is behind and have even tried to swing some of the blame onto the mids. Longer is one of the best tap ruckman for his age we've seen for a long time. Longer also was severly hampered with injury in his two years at Brisbane.
I agreed that his tap work is better?...

Can't we agree that the best case scenario for either of them is Grundy - Munford, Longer - Jacobs.

It's then a case of preference as to what type of ruck man you prefer, and whether they actually get to their full potential.

I agreed that his tap work is better?...

I actually understand what your saying and to date your the only Collingwood supporter that is being rational in the discussion. Words like dominated and thrashed being used either way is just wrong.

I actually understand what your saying and to date your the only Collingwood supporter that is being rational in the discussion. Words like dominated and thrashed being used either way is just wrong.
I agree. I think both will be great ruckmen, I just prefer the more crash-and-bash style that Grundy seems to do well.

I thinkk Happy Mastenator summed it up perfectly.

Last edited:
I agree. I think both will be great ruckmen, I just prefer the more crash-and-bash style that Grundy seems to dd.

I agree. I think both will be great ruckmen, I just prefer the more crash-and-bash style that Grundy seems to dd.

Longers strength are his tap work and then his physical presence at the contest. Hickey is a far better ruckman around the ground but doesn't provide the same unrewarded work that Longer provides although he is a fantastic contested mark. Longer was also on the receiving end of some fairly poor calls by the umpires when using his body on Friday night.

Longers strength are his tap work and then his physical presence at the contest. Hickey is a far better ruckman around the ground but doesn't provide the same unrewarded work that Longer provides although he is a fantastic contested mark. Longer was also on the receiving end of some fairly poor calls by the umpires when using his body on Friday night.
I think ruckmen are punished far too much in general to be honest, I remember last year when Grundy averaged the most frees against in the league, was so painful to watch knowing most of them wouldn't be called normally.

Was lovely to see Grundy finally rewarded with decent umpiring. He copped it hard last year. It's clear though Collingwood have got an absolute beauty on their hands

Was lovely to see Grundy finally rewarded with decent umpiring. He copped it hard last year. It's clear though Collingwood have got an absolute beauty on their hands

Lol decent. One of the most biased displays seen and given you mentioned it it proves how biased it was.

The umping on the night def favored collingwood. The Eliott mark was not a mark. However, the ruck frees IMO were all legitimate apart from 1.

In terms of who is the better player. I dont know enough about Longer to say. However, Grundy did win there battle last Friday, you can not argue that. This does not mean Grundy is better, plenty of better players have down days against lesser players all the time. but Grundy did win the battle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why you are arguing Adam H, Grundy was one of the best on ground on friday night and clearly showed up Longer. Still very happy with Billy's progress but I think it's fairly obvious Brodie is looking better at this stage.

Only pointing out clowns using words like dominated which clearly wasn't the case. Longer was fantastic with the ruck work while Grundy got more ball which you'd expect in a 70 point win.

Not sure why you are arguing Adam H, Grundy was one of the best on ground on friday night and clearly showed up Longer. Still very happy with Billy's progress but I think it's fairly obvious Brodie is looking better at this stage.
Because Collingwood and Western Bulldogs don't have any good players according to him.

Because that's what Adam does. ;) Longer certainly wasn't terrible though, was beaten but far from disgraced at all. Grundy still has a fair bit to work on, but the start to his season has been very exciting.

Because Collingwood and Western Bulldogs don't have any good players according to him.

I cop the WB tag due to the Stanley v Jones thread. Clearly I was proved right and each game Jones gets the argument from WB looks even more ridiculous.

It's funny how will minson is bad because all he does is win hitouts but when longer does it that's apparently good because of his "physical presence".

Has he mentioned Rhys Stanley being traded for a higher pick than jones supposedly making Stanley the better player and in no way a monumental mistake by Geelong?

It's funny how will minson is bad because all he does is win hitouts but when longer does it that's apparently good because of his "physical presence".

Has he mentioned Rhys Stanley being traded for a higher pick than jones supposedly making Stanley the better player and in no way a monumental mistake by Geelong?

Minson is what 30 and still not taking a grab, please dont tell me you believe Jones is better than Stanley.

Minson is what 30 and still not taking a grab, please dont tell me you believe Jones is better than Stanley.
Both are s**t at AFL level. Jones averages 3 goals/game at VFL level compared to Stanley's 2. Jones please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back