Bipolar (Manic depression)

Remove this Banner Ad

footscore

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
anyone have a family member or friend suffering from this illness?

Perhaps you yourself have had to cope with it for years on end and in time began to learn what some of the warning signs are with others.
I think one of the great things Jeff Kennett did when he was president of Hawthorn was bring this issue to the forefront and put it out there as something that needs to be monitored.

I know of someone close to me who is going through a very tough time with the illness but making the matter even more life-threatening is that alcohol has been part of their life for years.
At the end of the day only the individual can literally help themselves if they truly want to get better deep down inside. But am wondering what steps or what other forms of assistance apart from councilors, group therapy, family assistance can one provide for an individual who is battling bipolar?

Perhaps you yourself have had to cope with it for years on end and in time began to learn what some of the warning signs are with others.
I think one of the great things Jeff Kennett did when he was president of Hawthorn was bring this issue to the forefront and put it out there as something that needs to be monitored.

I know of someone close to me who is going through a very tough time with the illness but making the matter even more life-threatening is that alcohol has been part of their life for years.
At the end of the day only the individual can literally help themselves if they truly want to get better deep down inside. But am wondering what steps or what other forms of assistance apart from councilors, group therapy, family assistance can one provide for an individual who is battling bipolar?

Act. Belong. Commit.

A suggestion I have for someone with depression is to get a hobby/passion/interest they can divulge in, taking their mind of themselves and their own state. A passion involving helping out others, such as disabled people, the elderly, animals.

Join a club. Learn an instrument. Take a sport up. Pursue a hobby.

Yes I know its not the answer. And knowing this place Ill probably get chopped up.

• Banned
good points Miqar.

The biggest issue I have is I don't get along with this family member and never have but what she's going through is killing my parents with anxiety and the constant pain of having to worry.
If I can at least make it better for them then I will but yeh, sport could actually be one those things I will suggest, the chance to also meet different people in the process is also a major benefit.

Appreciate the response :thumbsu:

good points Miqar.

The biggest issue I have is I don't get along with this family member and never have but what she's going through is killing my parents with anxiety and the constant pain of having to worry.
If I can at least make it better for them then I will but yeh, sport could actually be one those things I will suggest, the chance to also meet different people in the process is also a major benefit.

Appreciate the response :thumbsu:

Exercising also releases endorphins which make you feel good. It could definetly be a start finding out what sport she enjoys then take it from there. :)

• Banned
Exercising also releases endorphins which make you feel good. :)

I gotta get back to fitness myself :oops: so bloody difficult to also throw away the good foods plus chocolates and replace em with seaweed, grass and skinless chicken.

Booze and bipolar can go hand in hand unfortunately. I s'pose the good news is that medication can be very effective for those with BPAD. Reduced stress is important as well as being aware of what one's early warning signs of relapse are. One of the most difficult aspects of BPAD for the person, is that when their mood is mildly elevated (hypomanic) they feel absolutely fantastic (increased energy, impulsivity etc). Unfortunately this can lead to a full-blown manic episode with damaging consequences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back