Injury Birchall 4 - 6 weeks with a PCL

Remove this Banner Ad

If Cheney can bring that flair in his game that he shows at Box Hill and that confident attack on the ball then he could probably cover that spot. It frustrates me that Cheney looks to hold back a bit at AFL level and doesn't trust his instincts.

Ouch. s**t news...
Time out with injury is hardly a 'rest'. Hopefully it's at the lesser end he gets back into ship shape for September.

This is a huge loss, we have effectively lost our best possible HBF line

Birchall Schoenmakers Suckling

Lucky we will get Birch back before finals, but it could take 6 even 8 weeks to get it right

Some big decisions for Clarko to make to help us still have some speed and creative play off HB.

Who to play there?? There isn't a better half back flanker in the league than Birchall but we could find some options and look to our depth

We could try out Cyril there and see what happens, put burgoyne back there full time, we could keep Mitchell and/or hodge there for long periods, bring whitecross back into the team off a half-back flank, bring in cheney and see if he can add an offensive side to his game or give young litherland a crack and see if he can turn into a speedy damaging half-back or not.

I'm sure I've missed other options but either way there are plenty of different options to try out and it will be interesting to see what Clarko comes up with. This is still a big big loss which can't be underestimated.

The PCL doesn't really heal well. It is more about rehabing the knee to work without it. You can operate - in fact, Hodge had his operated on during the off season. However, I don't think that will have him ready for finals.

Are you serious Brishawk?
What happens to the bloody thing, does it just vanish?

Why hasn't anyone brought up the possibility yet that he isn't actually injured at all and that this is all just another elaborate AFL cover-up of Birchall having received his 3rd drugs strike??

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any chance he'll come back after only 4 weeks, or is that way to optimistic?

Say he does come back after just the 4, he'll return v Essendon. Meaning he'll miss the Lions, Cats, Port and Dogs games.

Even with the loss of Birchall, the only game I can see troubling us is the Cats game.

After the Bombers game (which is at Etihad) we have the Tigers, St Kilda, Collingwood, North and Sydney.

Would love him back for the Tigers game but I think I'm being to optimistic.

Is there any chance he'll come back after only 4 weeks, or is that way to optimistic?

Say he does come back after just the 4, he'll return v Essendon. Meaning he'll miss the Lions, Cats, Port and Dogs games.

Even with the loss of Birchall, the only game I can see troubling us is the Cats game.

After the Bombers game (which is at Etihad) we have the Tigers, St Kilda, Collingwood, North and Sydney.

Would love him back for the Tigers game but I think I'm being to optimistic.

If he is back in 4 weeks I'll be extremely surprised. PCL's are really hard to recover from and individual rehabilitation differs a lot. IMO 6-8 weeks is more likely than 4 weeks.

If he is back in 4 weeks I'll be extremely surprised. PCL's are really hard to recover from and individual rehabilitation differs a lot. IMO 6-8 weeks is more likely than 4 weeks.

Yep agree with this... Can also just keep lingering on and be a lot more than that. Could be out for more than 12 weeks. Any by than it's season over, certainly for supercoach. I've got a big decision to make. :confused:

Now is the time for Matt Spangher to stand up.

I Agree:thumbsu:

Spangher also for me, has been our best and most consistent backman by far in the last few weeks for Box Hill, has shown class above the rest, adaptability using his body well in the packs, taking plenty of strong marks and has been really taking the game on with real confidence both offensively and defensively.
With Birchall going down and in need for some height in our defence, surely he should be the most logical option for a return to the seniors if needed to play a role on a third tall...IMO.

Why hasn't anyone brought up the possibility yet that he isn't actually injured at all and that this is all just another elaborate AFL cover-up of Birchall having received his 3rd drugs strike??

:rolleyes:

Dane Beams has been out for 3 months+ with a quad, he must be on his 6th strike.

Absolutely terrible news, and he's one of my favourites, but something tells me we're gonna be okay. Our depth is as strong as ever and with names like Whitecross and Rioli coming back in, I don't feel sick to my stomach as I have when I've heard about injuries in the past.

Like I said, it really ******* sucks, and I wish Birch all the best in his recovery, but I think we'll be right. Game on.

This is a huge loss, we have effectively lost our best possible HBF line

Birchall Schoenmakers Suckling
This.

Gah.

FFS. The indignity of having to play a home game at Sh!tehad Stadium is compounded by this turn of events. As someone else pointed out earlier, it's lucky Gibbo didn't do worse damage.

This is not right. Adam 'Kick-a-man' Goodes should be the one with the 6-8 week PCL, if karma were not a lovechild of the Great Fat Hairy Dictator.

He is going to play again this year so it's not a long term loss unlike Suckling and Shoenmakers..
This will be best time now for Birchall to freshen up and come into the finals playing like he had for the first month of the year and that might win us the flag with him at his best again.
If Lake or Ruff went down then that is a HUGE loss to our year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back