Birchall named in Squad to play against Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

DynamoUltra said:
Will they actually play or are they just in the squad?

Dont think there is any doubt that Guerra will play.

I think with Birchall its probably a case of saying publically you are close to selection, keep on going and good reward for efforts so far. Or, being Taswegien and @ 192cm he could be useful and given a go?

Just think it sounds better when you announce a team in the first round that you have someone "brand new" - physcologically it just sounds better - the team is fresher? Not same old, same old.

Apparently AC said he will debut this week. I wonder who would miss out though because either someone is injured or Birchall has impressed enough to be in front of one of Ries, Lewis, Dawson or Guerra, which would be a fair effort in his first year.

Date published: Friday, March 31, 2006.
Author: NIGEL TAPP

Our Hawk set to debut
DEVONPORT teenager Grant Birchall will make his AFL debut on Sunday when Hawthorn hosts Fremantle at Aurora Stadium, in Launceston.

The 18-year-old taken at No.14 in last year's draft was named on an extended interchange bench but will take his place in the Hawks' line-up after impressing against Essendon and the West Coast Eagles in practice matches over the last fortnight.

Birchall was one of nine players drafted last year to be included in the first round.

Among the others are No.1 pick Marc Murphy (Carlton), No.2 Dale Thomas (Collingwood), No.7 Paddy Ryder (Essendon) and No.9 Mitchell Clark (Brisbane).

Hawthorn recruiting manager Gary Buckenara said Birchall had earnt his spot given his pre-season form and efforts on the training track.

"He has not been given a game, he has earnt it," Buckenara said.

"It really has been a terrific effort by him and we are delighted with his progress so far.

"Obviously it will be a big moment for the young man.

n

"Normally it takes a while to get used to things and he has adapted to the changes well."

Buckenara said the fact that Birchall had played against bigger bodies over the last two season with Devonport in the NTFL would hold him in good stead.

"Out of the group we drafted he certainly was one who we expected could play some senior football this year."

"He has worked solidly (on the track) and done everything which could be asked of him."

Birchall's former mentor, Devonport coach Dale Perry, said he was rapt with Birchall's development in such a short time.

Perry who spoke with is former charge yesterday afternoon said he did not expect the occasion to impact on Birchall.

phoenix_rise_ said:
mmm I got the paper now so here is the article....

EDIT: Damn I really should've refreshed before I posted. But oh well now you can see his sexy face well! :D

thats great!
It helps with pushing the HFC into Tassie with "Our Hawk" Headlines.
Should bring on new members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back