C'wealth Birmingham 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the years I have been a big fan of Patty Welsh in the mix zone at 7's athletics coverage be it Olympics or World Champs. Can't remember if he was at the Gold Coast Comm Games 4 years ago.

A good mix of intelligent questions, the odd hard ones and ability to relate to the athlete and celebrate their performance when needed and ask about the disappointing ones and not sugar coat it. And he was good with the international athletes including the big world stars and not trying to ask the usual - and what about the Aussie in the race?

I'm not the biggest fan of Jason Richo Richardson at other sports 7 cover - notably the Winter Olympics and horse racing, but his athletics interviews are good mix of knowledge and fun. Being an ex pro runner, he won the Stawell Gift in 1993, athletics is his sport, so he's not trying to cover his lack of knowledge with goofy stuff like at the Winter Olympic sports. Here are a few from last night and some videos of performances. I wish 7 put up his full interview with Matt Denny after he won the Discus the previous night - it was a hoot.

Cedric Dubler had a poor Javelin and 1500m and went from a close second behind Lindon Victor after 8 events to a distant 3rd. But Daniel Golubovic had a solid Javelin and great 1500m and went from a distant 3rd to almost stealing the gold as Victor struggled to run the last 100m as you can see in the video below the points graphic. I f my calculations are correct, Victor only had 5 seconds to spare.

View attachment 1467773

can you limit links to maybe 3 in a post Russ?

It really seems to frazzle loading of a thread here for me at least if there are a dozen or so in one comment.

Woah what an awesome leg by Beecher. That was incredibly close at the finish for 3rd but she just held on.

Much better than her individual run where she was 0.7 seconds slower than her individual 200 PB. And she doesn't have much relay experience. But at least they are in the final. Good luck girls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was gonna say how Browning looks like Caleb Serong's doppelganger, but at least Caleb keeps his feet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back