Bishan Bedi has died

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Former Indian left arm finger spinner Bishan Bedi has passed away aged 77. Bedi played 77 tests and 10 ODI's in an international career spanning from 1967 to 1979. Bedi took 266 test wickets at an average of 28.71.

Of the 82 bowlers to have taken at least 200 Test wickets, only three - Lance Gibbs, Richie Benaud and Derek Underwood - have better economy rates than his 2.14.

Bedi played for Northamptonshire in the County Championship, taking 434 first class wickets at an average of 20.89.

Mike Brearley had this to say about Bedi as a bowler

"Like most great bowlers, his variation was subtle. Of all the slow bowlers of Bedi's time, none forced you to commit yourself later than he did. With tiny, last-second adjustments of wrist and hand-angle, he could bowl successive balls that looked identical, perhaps as if each would land on a length just outside off stump. But with the first he would utensil his wrist more, deliver the ball slightly higher - it would spin sharply, stay wider of off, and be shorter than you anticipated.''

''The next ball, ever so slightly undercut and a little quicker, would pitch further up and come in towards middle and leg stumps. To the first ball you were likely to play inside the line, and away from the body; to the second, outside the line, and round your front leg, so that there was a risk of inside edge on to the pad.''

''The error of judgment induced in the batsman could be as much as a yard in length and a foot in width. And he could make these changes according to what he sensed the batsman was trying to do, in the moment of delivery, so firm and balanced were his action and rhythm."

Brealey's full analysis of Bedi can be read here: Never a cricketer of the year

Last edited:

This is sad news. Bedi was a magnificent spinner with excellent control and guile.

He certainly helped with my obsession with Cricket which began in the 1977/78 season as an 11 year old watching the Aust vs India series on the ABC and the newly established WSC on channel 9.

It was a real contrast in cricket - you had the 4 Indian spinners (Bedi; Venkat; Chandrasekhar & Prasanna) together with world class batsman in Gavaskar, Viswanath, Amarnath vs the young inexperienced aussies (exceptions being Cosier; Simpson; Thommo) in the the traditional test series.

Against that in WSC, there was the brute force of the Windies fast bowlers (Roberts; Holding; Garner; Croft; Daniel et al) & the might of the batsmen (Viv; Lloyd; Haynes; Greenidge; Rowe etc.). In addition, there was the World XI containing Barry Richards; Greig; Asif Iqbal; Knott; Proctor Underwood....

I distinctly remember the first 2 tests of the test series, with Australia getting home by 16 runs at the Gabba and then by 2 wickets in Perth (chasing 350 odd). Then after India came back and won the 3rd and 4th tests, the aussies got up in Adelaide.

It was real test cricket....

Bedi had an excellent sense of humor....he was interviewed on TV and as a practicing Sikh, he was required to carry 5 items - these being long hair; a comb; a bracelet; a small sword and long underwear. The interviewer asked him if he carried all these things and Bedi said he carry's 4 of them....if he carried 5 he'd be a priest, not a cricketer...

Apparently a bit of a precursor to Harbhajan in that he was a fiery character with a fast bowler's mentality, but in general style he was more like Herath.

Beyond both being SLA, they both used the angles, the crease and subtle changes of flight and place to excellent effect over a long period.

RIP.

I loved him for not backing down on Murali's and his throwing action.Never waivered a millimetre.
I know I am late commenting here ,but had to have a say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back