Bishop's 2015 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Bishop

Do you mind explaining how the bidding for academy players work?

I'm still baffled how a team such as Sydney. who finished 4-5 this year, will effectively get pick #4 in the draft. Is that fair? It seems like the strong teams will continue to get stronger because of this academy system. Will VIC clubs ever get an academy system?

Thanks mate.

Hi Bishop

Do you mind explaining how the bidding for academy players work?

I'm still baffled how a team such as Sydney. who finished 4-5 this year, will effectively get pick #4 in the draft. Is that fair? It seems like the strong teams will continue to get stronger because of this academy system. Will VIC clubs ever get an academy system?

Thanks mate.

Callum Mills for example is a member of the Sydney Swans academy. Melbourne for example bid on Callum Mills with Pick 4 on draft night as they feel he is the best player available at their pick. This forces Sydney to use picks in order to collect Mills.

In the past they have only needed to give up their first round pick & he'd be selected at their first round pick on draft night: BUT this year if Sydney match the bid they will jump all the way up to Pick 4 and read out Callum Mills' name.

For Callum Mills, they need to give up points which range from Pick 1 3000 to Pick 73 which is 9 points in order to get Mills (which comes with a 20% discount).

It's very confusing so I can understand many people aren't sure what is going on- They aren't getting an advantage, they have to pay 'market value' for the player meaning they need to give up a lot more than in the past.

Hopefully this graphic helps!!! I can't see Vic clubs getting an academy system in the near future- despite some speculation it may happen.
qwnjnNy.jpg

Callum Mills for example is a member of the Sydney Swans academy. Melbourne for example bid on Callum Mills with Pick 4 on draft night as they feel he is the best player available at their pick. This forces Sydney to use picks in order to collect Mills.

In the past they have only needed to give up their first round pick & he'd be selected at their first round pick on draft night: BUT this year if Sydney match the bid they will jump all the way up to Pick 4 and read out Callum Mills' name.

For Callum Mills, they need to give up points which range from Pick 1 3000 to Pick 73 which is 9 points in order to get Mills (which comes with a 20% discount).

It's very confusing so I can understand many people aren't sure what is going on- They aren't getting an advantage, they have to pay 'market value' for the player meaning they need to give up a lot more than in the past.

Hopefully this graphic helps!!! I can't see Vic clubs getting an academy system in the near future- despite some speculation it may happen.
qwnjnNy.jpg

Thank you so much for this Bishop! I finally understand this now!!
Two more quick questions:
1) What is the criteria for belonging to an academy? Do you have to live within a certain radius of a club? Do they train you for an X number of years?
2) I notice in your phantom draft you have us picking up Milera (pick #17) and Oliver (pick #35). Oliver in particular I have noticed seems to be rated much higher than 35. Are you confident this might happen, or are you hoping it will as I see you're a Tigs fan :)

Thank you so much for this Bishop! I finally understand this now!!
Two more quick questions:
1) What is the criteria for belonging to an academy? Do you have to live within a certain radius of a club? Do they train you for an X number of years?
2) I notice in your phantom draft you have us picking up Milera (pick #17) and Oliver (pick #35). Oliver in particular I have noticed seems to be rated much higher than 35. Are you confident this might happen, or are you hoping it will as I see you're a Tigs fan :)

1) I'm not 100% sure what the rules are regarding academy, but I'd assume they'd have to live within the area of the zone, they start their academies pretty young- But someone alligned/supporting one of the academy clubs would know more than myself

2) I've got to update those Phantom Draft posts, which I'll do over the next week. At one point it was looking Oliver might end up in the 2nd round, but he's a great chance to get in the top 10 at this point. I'd hope Richmond consider him with our first rounder if he is still available.

qwnjnNy.jpg
What happens if pick 1 had been bid for Heeney and the Swans didnt have enough points to bid?

Do they have to pay for it the following year? Wouldnt happen, but if they traded all their picks the following year?

Talk is Francis has tested Bad for Home sickness which will see him slide. Might be another Wingard situation
He's from Loxton, close enough to 3 hours from Adelaide. Homesickness will be a factor regardless of where he goes.

Are Burgoyne, Hodge and Gibson less important than Gunston?

You need your best users in the midfield and behind the ball.

I would question why the Crows would have their eye on McKay after losing Dangerfield. They have Walker, Jenkins, Betts, Menzel, Lynch and Cameron. Take Francis and let the next mid go to the Crows. McKay could be there at 11.

Carlton can always recruit for needs in later drafts. Believe chased Tomlinson with 11 rather than pick eight. Might be different if we're talking about Weidemann who kicked a bag on Collins.
With Podsiadly retiring, the Crows don't have any replacements for Walker or Jenkins. So I think they will take H McKay or Burton with their first pick as there will still be good midfielders available at their second pick.

Inside football have the Crows going with Millera with their first pick.
I was under the impression he had been overrated?
They have the blues taking McKay.

Inside football have the Crows going with Millera with their first pick.
I was under the impression he had been overrated?
They have the blues taking McKay.
I'll be shocked if Milera is taken with the Crows first pick. I believe he is overrated. Played one good SANFL game, against a slow Glenelg side.

He's from Loxton, close enough to 3 hours from Adelaide. Homesickness will be a factor regardless of where he goes.

Easier to drive a few hours up the road then fly over and then drive a few hours up the road ;)

But TBH, living in SA Country myself I can say that a lot of people have some sort of connection to Adelaide... Like how Sam Mayes is starting to get home sick but is from a country town 2-3hrs nth of Adelaide ;)

Anyway.. Ive heard from a very good source that Francis tested very poorly for Home sickness at the combine...will be interesting to see where he ends up

Easier to drive a few hours up the road then fly over and then drive a few hours up the road ;)

But TBH, living in SA Country myself I can say that a lot of people have some sort of connection to Adelaide... Like how Sam Mayes is starting to get home sick but is from a country town 2-3hrs nth of Adelaide ;)

Anyway.. Ive heard from a very good source that Francis tested very poorly for Home sickness at the combine...will be interesting to see where he ends up
Fair enough. I think I'm just making assumptions to justify him coming to Essendon. I really want him!

Also, he could fly to Mildura and drive an hour, from either Adelaide or Melbourne, that's a 2 hour trip

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he should be pick 1 yeah I rate him highly recommend the Lions take him but also scared he might leave in 2 years just like all our our other first round picks Carlton could easily take Schache and get Collins at 11
99% of football scribes believe that Carlton will take Weitering at Pick 1. So I wouldn't worry about not getting Schache. Apparently, he is happy to go to Brisbane as his father played for them. So I don't think the go home factor is going to be a worry. Collins is not on our radar from what I understand.

Biggest bolter of the draft Oliver or is someone else likely to land early? Burton is my smokey!!

Biggest bolter of the draft Oliver or is someone else likely to land early? Burton is my smokey!!

Hibberd could be a bolter ( top 10) in my book. Oliver will go top 7 easily. Burton is my slider but do feel someone will take a gamble

It'd be pretty cool if the Blues call out Mills with Pick 1! That'd get the 'conspiracy theorists' losing their minds!!! Sydney match it??

Oliver will be Top 8 in the draft (without academy bids), Some clubs are bullish about Burton his injury was like a car crash. One scout I know said his club hasn't even looked at him as an option- as they just can't trust him. He'll fall around the 20s. I think Oliver is the only bolter at the moment, but someone like David Cunningham who most people didn't know about should bolt close to the top 20.

Hibberd could be a bolter ( top 10) in my book. Oliver will go top 7 easily. Burton is my slider but do feel someone will take a gamble

As above, Oliver will be off to Melbourne at Pick 7 I believe. Burton should slide, Gold Coast like Hibberd but I don't think they'll use Pick 6 on him.

Bishop How do you rate Curnows prospects of developing into a midfielder?
IMO the blues will grab him.
With Cripps and Curnow they will have 2 massive midfielders.

I don't like his chances. He had 1 game with more than 20 disposals for Geelong Falcons, he's got pretty good endurance but I don't think he'll be able to transition into a mid. More of an athletic 2nd/3rd tall. He doesn't really use his big body sense in traffic as an inside mid so I can't see him developing into one.

Blues probably won't get a chance to get their hands on him, as I believe Curnow will go to Dees with Pick 3.

Oliver will be Top 8 in the draft (without academy bids), Some clubs are bullish about Burton his injury was like a car crash. One scout I know said his club hasn't even looked at him as an option- as they just can't trust him. He'll fall around the 20s. I think Oliver is the only bolter at the moment, but someone like David Cunningham who most people didn't know about should bolt close to the top 20.

As above, Oliver will be off to Melbourne at Pick 7 I believe. Burton should slide, Gold Coast like Hibberd but I don't think they'll use Pick 6 on him.

I don't like his chances. He had 1 game with more than 20 disposals for Geelong Falcons, he's got pretty good endurance but I don't think he'll be able to transition into a mid. More of an athletic 2nd/3rd tall. He doesn't really use his big body sense in traffic as an inside mid so I can't see him developing into one.

Blues probably won't get a chance to get their hands on him, as I believe Curnow will go to Dees with Pick 3.
Surley if the Dees where looking for a KPF they would take Sam Weidering?

It'd be pretty cool if the Blues call out Mills with Pick 1! That'd get the 'conspiracy theorists' losing their minds!!! Sydney match it??
If Sydney didn't match it Silvagni would be fired and burned alive by your mob, which would be fun to watch.

Surley if the Dees where looking for a KPF they would take Sam Weidering?

Unless they go at pick 3 (maybe a reach?) then he may be already gone with Essendon also needing a tall to partner Daniher. He is the most interesting pick in the top 10.

About his range, have him going at pick 5 to Essendon, but he won't last past pick 7 you are right. GC would be a good pick for Hibberd, and I don't think pick 6 is that far off.

About his range, have him going at pick 5 to Essendon, but he won't last past pick 7 you are right. GC would be a good pick for Hibberd, and I don't think pick 6 is that far off.
Hibberd is most likely still available at 16(21) Gold Coast need KPP'ers look for them to bid on Hipwood at 6 (8) to try and force our hand and even if we don't bite they get a local kid who should play lots of games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back