Not open for further replies.

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi all,

I'm back once again for another big year of following the 2016 draft talent. You can find my 2015 effort here.

I’ll be updating this thread throughout the year all the way up to the draft.

I’m happy to answer/explain/justify any questions/queries about anything to do with the draft, either just reply in here or tag me in a post wherever it is on Big Footy and I'll reply to it. I'm happy to get PMed if you don't want the question to be aired in the public!

(Index)

Post 2: Power Rankings
Post 3: Phantom Draft
Post 4: Academy notes
Post 5: Father/Son notes
Post 6: Extras

See you around,

Bishop!

Post 2: Power Rankings

FINAL POWER RANKINGS FOR 2016
Complete list from 1-75

7GWg1CW.png

TcZCAeP.png

0uJ2iPN.png

Last edited:

Josh Battle is the one that I look forward to hearing more about when you get time. What is the general consensus of this draft? Understandably it's more of a midfielders draft without any real standout players bar SPS, would you maybe call it a bit 'vanilla' at this stage? Understand it is early days but I am also concerned that the top 30 are also fairly quiet as pointed out by Twomey.

Josh Battle is the one that I look forward to hearing more about when you get time. What is the general consensus of this draft? Understandably it's more of a midfielders draft without any real standout players bar SPS, would you maybe call it a bit 'vanilla' at this stage? Understand it is early days but I am also concerned that the top 30 are also fairly quiet as pointed out by Twomey.

At this stage it will be a lot more midfielders, but i think we might see a couple of talls bobble up in the top few picks. A ruckman or two in the top 30-40 is what I'm expecting too.

Josh Battle is a very athletic tall, he's only 192cm, but a strong reach gives you extra cms in my opinion. Is he big enough to play as the No.1 tall, probably not but he moves like a Jezza Cameron forward (not like a big Tom Boyd power forward). I've watched Battle for a few years, he always seems to get good control over where the ball drops and positions himself nicely. I'll be intriguied to see how he goes today in the academy game, he was ok on Friday- much harder against VFL blokes...

Twomey hasn't pointed out his top 30 as such, more just talking about the 32-33 kids in the academy system. It's hard to rank blokes outside that unless you have seen them (for example I have three players Kerr, McGrath & Clarke) who aren't in the academy in my lists as they are people I have seen them play and rate them.

For example I don't have too much vision/notes of WA/SA blokes who aren't in the academy or played last year for example. It always starts the season as the top 30 who everyone follows, then more names start to be heard about and it grows...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage it will be a lot more midfielders, but i think we might see a couple of talls bobble up in the top few picks. A ruckman or two in the top 30-40 is what I'm expecting too.

Josh Battle is a very athletic tall, he's only 192cm, but a strong reach gives you extra cms in my opinion. Is he big enough to play as the No.1 tall, probably not but he moves like a Jezza Cameron forward (not like a big Tom Boyd power forward). I've watched Battle for a few years, he always seems to get good control over where the ball drops and positions himself nicely. I'll be intriguied to see how he goes today in the academy game, he was ok on Friday- much harder against VFL blokes...

Twomey hasn't pointed out his top 30 as such, more just talking about the 32-33 kids in the academy system. It's hard to rank blokes outside that unless you have seen them (for example I have three players Kerr, McGrath & Clarke) who aren't in the academy in my lists as they are people I have seen them play and rate them.

For example I don't have too much vision/notes of WA/SA blokes who aren't in the academy or played last year for example. It always starts the season as the top 30 who everyone follows, then more names start to be heard about and it grows...
Greatly appreciated Bishop, different type of player to Schache but I would be in the minority but if he is around our pick and rated so I would like to further add to our KPF stocks. You can see the issues with Melbourne and Essendon needing further depth to help out Hogan and Daniher already. I know most from our board would like a contested ball winning mid but if we can get our spine locked in even though young and developing then we can add to our midfield later.

Subbed. Hope we can get a Kerr type with our second pick.

I'd suggest he will be around, he played a really nice game yesterday in the Vic Metro trial. Despite only kicking one goal, had 6 marks- before going to CHB in the 2nd half.

If Gallucci lasts till pick 20, then this is one high quality draft.

Agree Gallucci is a very fine player and I'd love him to join his brother at the Blues. I see him as pick 5 to 10 proposition.
We need as many quality mids as possible, in that range I 'd only over look him for Battle, Forward line is another of our desperate needs.

Interesting, really can't see Battle going that high but happy to be proven wrong.
Gallucci will be a lot higher than 20 as will Ainsworth higher than 9. Look forward to following you throughout the year

Macreadie at number 2?!

I didn't expect for him to be that high. I assume Mutch, Byrne, highmore and Owen-Auburn will be in the next batch of power rankings?

Interesting, really can't see Battle going that high but happy to be proven wrong.
Gallucci will be a lot higher than 20 as will Ainsworth higher than 9. Look forward to following you throughout the year

They might not necessary go in that order- but that's how I rate them currently. Plenty will change over the next few months!

Macreadie at number 2?!

I didn't expect for him to be that high. I assume Mutch, Byrne, highmore and Owen-Auburn will be in the next batch of power rankings?

I've got a list of about 300 'prospects' or so on my laptop- I only posted the 25 & will expand that to 50 by the end of the month or so.

Mutch was at 27 & I had Byrne down at 40. I think one to watch is Harry Perryman (not sure highmore & Owen-Auburn will be drafted) and I think he's one that really could jump (ala Matthew Kennedy from last year).

I do rate Macreadie a lot, especially from seeing him multiple times last year. Was quiet in the VFL games, but I'm expecting big things from him in the champs & the TAC Cup. In my mind he's the best key defender at the moment in the draft. Is No.2 on my list a reach? Possibly- But I'll judge the players on where I see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back