Bishop's 2016 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rate him higher than Brown. I think both end up 2nd-3rd round bid. I really like what he brings, a bit of spark- Not the worst mark overhead for his size. Just bobs up and does things where you question how he did it.

I've got no issues with others rating them wherever, as long as you call it where you see it. I still rate Macreadie high, but looking at this years form alone he's been underwhelming- just OK in the champs + NEAFL. I had Setterfield a bit further back, but a really good game on the weekend pushed him higher for me. I was a huge fan of Byrne since U16s, but even think he could be undrafted that's how far he's fallen.

Can't kick, decision making is horrible. Senior form is good, but those two fundamental errors for me put him in my black book. Have him in the 40s and still reckon he'll be around the Pick 30 mark on draft night at this stage in my opinion. Looms as a HFF that can push into the midfield at times.
rumour going around that eagles are really keen on him and might use their first pick on him. Hopefully he keeps on sliding and slides to our second pick. I watched him live and he oozes x-factor. He is also extremely strong and was breaking strong tackles with ease.

Powell pepper falling in most mock drafts despite recent good form in the wafl seniors

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Clubs very hot on him , Not sure what handle those outside of WA have on form , comparative form given all the Vic lads, are so visible due to coverage of TEAC

Clubs very hot on him , Not sure what handle those outside of WA have on form , comparative form given all the Vic lads, are so visible due to coverage of TEAC

I don't agree at all with that statement, clubs get vision, stats, have their people interstate, have their Vic based head recruiters watching him live too etc. I think it's more a fact that the WA supporters/fans can get over boyish on their own states players. Don't think they'd be too many around who consider him first round quality with poor kicking and poor decision making, two very crucial aspects of AFL.

I don't agree at all with that statement, clubs get vision, stats, have their people interstate, have their Vic based head recruiters watching him live too etc. I think it's more a fact that the WA supporters/fans can get over boyish on their own states players. Don't think they'd be too many around who consider him first round quality with poor kicking and poor decision making, two very crucial aspects of AFL.
I'm not talking about pro M talent spotters and recruiters , I know quite s few of them in WA. I'm talking about people on this forum who see little or no WAFL . I have already commented before that I tend to limit my comments to WA lads as I see plenty of them , but to comment on Vics, NSW, Qld etc based on a few underage hands would be myopic . Certainly not boyish about the state of our players , this years crop very good but next few years very limited . Evidenced to a degree that WA get5 players into 2 Academy squads which has 52 player spots .

I also know Vic team recruiters and have caught up with some this year , I listen to them .

Your comments are very dated and actually very much support my call , in4 weeks if playing with the Eagles reserve team Ge has made BOG list 3 times . Decision making and kicking hugely improved as he has stepped through the grades .
If you were to read a few if my posts I am quite harsh or critical of many WA lads and people here without any reason pumping their tyres up . But I am equally critical if those who cast judgement on kms heeds they see next to nothing of, something I refrain from with lads outside WA .

No recruiter nor talent scout I have spoken too has ever used the word as you appear qualified to do "poor" with regard to SPP kicking and decision making . Post last years 18s when he played as an underage it was identified as areas that needed work , revisited this year comments are how improved these are .

I'll give you the two aspects most highly looked for in a recruit , no recruiter will say differently
-Competitiveness
-Character

That alm the kids they are looking at can play is a given , without the two above the kid is nigh on useless to a club . You can't train these in .

Just to educate you they do not have their Vic based head recruiters watching WAxganes live much at all . Clubs rely on their WA personnel to do this mainly

Just to educate you they do not have their Vic based head recruiters watching WAxganes live much at all . Clubs rely on their WA personnel to do this mainly
The head recruiter for top picks if interstate identified and if previous views through championships / academy still
Need another look will zip across . But these guys accept this itself is limited.

I'm not talking about pro M talent spotters and recruiters , I know quite s few of them in WA. I'm talking about people on this forum who see little or no WAFL . I have already commented before that I tend to limit my comments to WA lads as I see plenty of them , but to comment on Vics, NSW, Qld etc based on a few underage hands would be myopic . Certainly not boyish about the state of our players , this years crop very good but next few years very limited . Evidenced to a degree that WA get5 players into 2 Academy squads which has 52 player spots .

I also know Vic team recruiters and have caught up with some this year , I listen to them .

Your comments are very dated and actually very much support my call , in4 weeks if playing with the Eagles reserve team Ge has made BOG list 3 times . Decision making and kicking hugely improved as he has stepped through the grades .
If you were to read a few if my posts I am quite harsh or critical of many WA lads and people here without any reason pumping their tyres up . But I am equally critical if those who cast judgement on kms heeds they see next to nothing of, something I refrain from with lads outside WA .

No recruiter nor talent scout I have spoken too has ever used the word as you appear qualified to do "poor" with regard to SPP kicking and decision making . Post last years 18s when he played as an underage it was identified as areas that needed work , revisited this year comments are how improved these are .

I'll give you the two aspects most highly looked for in a recruit , no recruiter will say differently
-Competitiveness
-Character

That alm the kids they are looking at can play is a given , without the two above the kid is nigh on useless to a club . You can't train these in .
is it true that eagles are really interested in him and it was them that pushed for his league debut.

The head recruiter for top picks if interstate identified and if previous views through championships / academy still
Need another look will zip across . But these guys accept this itself is limited.

The 'head' honchos still go interstate, going to 1-2 games each weekend- you can tell when some clubs are interstate etc.

If the club are big fans of an interstate kid, the head honcho will get interstate and select them.

The proof will be in the pudding, we'll see how this pans out in the next 3 months.

is it true that eagles are really interested in him and it was them that pushed for his league debut.
Very much so.

Also for most lads form in the board now counts there is a common misunderstanding of the Combine and results / influence . It also provides clubs with a chance to hit the lads with many hard questions, last opportunity pre draft for most .

An outstanding combine can lift lads in order and obviously drop a few down a peg or two .

Start point for many is that Clubs have full access to all of the stats held by the AFL academy. Clubs know who can beep, run, jump , skin fold .

Clubs also very much recognise they get at least two different types of lads testing and results .

For those playing right up to the Combine, where their clubs are in finals their result are generally down from those whose seasons finished many weeks before . Thise whose footy season has finished can target specific training aimed at Combine testing vs those still playing who struggle to do this because clubs finals training leaves them with limited opportunity to combine train and these boys often arrive somewhat dead in the legs after big seasons .

The 3 k run is deliberately last as they are looking more at attitude than times in most cases . An example Josh Battle is exceptional over 3k , dies say a Jake Waterman elect to stick in his shoulder
For as long as possible knowing he might blow out but takes the challenge . Might also get dragged through to PB. It as much about character and comoetiteness as it is running 3k.
The BEP who will flog themselves leave nothing

Skin fold more about attitude than fat, they can trim a fatty down but why is the lad big?

Interview at Combine are often brutal again more about pushing buttons , liking at responses both words and mannerisms

So I take it you never saw Daicos Snr play then?
Im not sure how Daicos senior is relevant. Josh is not his father, you can't just assume he'll end up being the same player based on a few flashes at junior level.

Im not sure how Daicos senior is relevant. Josh is not his father, you can't just assume he'll end up being the same player based on a few flashes at junior level.

I've seen enough.

And being a Carringbush person, you're invested in under-selling him....That much is obvious.

I've seen enough.

And being a Carringbush person, you're invested in under-selling him....That much is obvious.
Wut? I haven't seen enough of him to undersell him, I'm going off what the majority of draft watchers are saying. Honestly, I'd love him to be rated as a top 5 pick, it would be amazing to get access to a kid like that given we have no first rounder this year.

And really, my point was that your comment about his dad was ridiculous. Just because his dad was a gun doesn't automatically mean he will be one. Talk him up by all means, just don't use the "his dad was amazing so he will be too" justification.

Last edited:
Wut? I haven't seen enough of him to undersell him, I'm going off what the majority of draft watchers are saying.

And really, my point was that your comment about his dad was ridiculous
. Just because his dad was a gun doesn't automatically mean he will be one.

The poster Doth protest too much.

Like I said, I have seen enough....And he has all his dads tools.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The poster Doth protest too much.

Like I said, I have seen enough....And he has all his dads tools.
Ok mate, you can stop acting like a w***er and have a genuine conversation if you want.

O.K....You've already admitted you haven't seen enough of him, yet keep insisting my view of him is over-rated....It's pretty obvious who the ****-wit is here.
Please show me where I said your view was overrated? As far as I can see my only issue thus far has been the fact you're using his dad's exploits to talk him up.
As I've already said, I'd love him to be a genuinely elite prospect. If nothing else it would annoy the s**t out of the pies haters who are gloating over us having no 1st rounder this year.
Honestly don't know why you had to be a dick about it and try and make out like I'm talking him down, as if some random post on Big Footy somehow affects his trade value.

Last edited:
Who do bombers take? I reckon will brodie. Also see massive upside of mcluagge too.

I'd take McCluggage for multiple different reasons. Goal kicking mids don't grow on trees and come around very often, he'll start as a HFF and play in the middle. His contested stuff isn't as big as Brodie's but still good enough to consider him an inside midfielder.

There are plenty of decent inside midfielders (Clarke, Powell-Pepper, Scharenberg, Graham, Atley etc- so of which might be there in the 30s+) who will be there by the Bombers picks in the 20s. So what I'd do is take McCluggage & then an inside midfielder later in the draft.

A lot of people have referred Brodie as being the most 'safe' of anyone and I tend to agree. I can't see him not being a 200 game player, but I do think McCluggage has a much better upside- No preseason this year, only coming really into the 'elite' talent profiles in the last 24 months or so. Once he puts some size on look out...

CrusaderAussie1

Pull your head in. You've done this in a few treads now and it is getting boring.

If you want to add something, at least be positive about it, not trying to call people out and big note yourself.

Reeks of amateruish journalism with flashes of "I told you so" across the spread.

I'd take McCluggage for multiple different reasons. Goal kicking mids don't grow on trees and come around very often, he'll start as a HFF and play in the middle. His contested stuff isn't as big as Brodie's but still good enough to consider him an inside midfielder.

There are plenty of decent inside midfielders (Clarke, Powell-Pepper, Scharenberg, Graham, Atley etc- so of which might be there in the 30s+) who will be there by the Bombers picks in the 20s. So what I'd do is take McCluggage & then an inside midfielder later in the draft.

A lot of people have referred Brodie as being the most 'safe' of anyone and I tend to agree. I can't see him not being a 200 game player, but I do think McCluggage has a much better upside- No preseason this year, only coming really into the 'elite' talent profiles in the last 24 months or so. Once he puts some size on look out...

Pretty much exactly my reasoning and have done for some time now.

More and more inside midfielders have put there hand up and will be available at 19.

Joe Atley, Dyl Clarke, Jonty Scharenberg, Graham, etc.

Would be super stoked with a McCluggage/Drew double act and then finished on top with a little bit of JaegarBombers :p
Add in Pat Kerr with the likely selection we get from Melbourne (for Michael Hibberd) and we are well and truly winning this off season

Hi Bishop, been keeping close eyes on Northern Knights Lachlan Murphy, been flying under the radar I believe, what are your thoughts on him? What range do you see him getting picked up?

Hi Bishop, been keeping close eyes on Northern Knights Lachlan Murphy, been flying under the radar I believe, what are your thoughts on him? What range do you see him getting picked up?
Seen him on the weekend I liked what I saw reminds me of Caleb Daniel a bit, just weaves out of traffic and uses the footy well. Hopefully a team sees how Daniel is going and take the punt on Murphy

I'm a really big fan of Lachie's, having seen him at school footy & TAC Cup level about 10 times. If I had guts I'd have him in my Top 50. Kicks at about 80% which you'd consider in the 'elite' category for kicking. His left boot is superb. Earlier in the year played mostly across half back, but the second half of the year has played much more inside. His clearance, contested possession and tackling numbers have been better since.

Numbers wise:
Averaging 27 disposals (14.5 kicks, 12.7 hbs) at 84% overall and 5.5 tackles per games

173cm is probably what holds him back from others, for me if he was 10 cms taller I'd really be a huge fan. (Well I am a fan, but I reckon clubs view him as a late to rookie pick).

Turns 18 in December, so still time to develop. Also played HFF at school at times so has the capabilities to really play anywhere.

I'm a really big fan of Lachie's, having seen him at school footy & TAC Cup level about 10 times. If I had guts I'd have him in my Top 50. Kicks at about 80% which you'd consider in the 'elite' category for kicking. His left boot is superb. Earlier in the year played mostly across half back, but the second half of the year has played much more inside. His clearance, contested possession and tackling numbers have been better since.

Numbers wise:
Averaging 27 disposals (14.5 kicks, 12.7 hbs) at 84% overall and 5.5 tackles per games

173cm is probably what holds him back from others, for me if he was 10 cms taller I'd really be a huge fan. (Well I am a fan, but I reckon clubs view him as a late to rookie pick).

Turns 18 in December, so still time to develop. Also played HFF at school at times so has the capabilities to really play anywhere.

Do you know if there is any interest out there for him?

Do you know if there is any interest out there for him?

Well he got a state combine invite, so at least two clubs are 'interested.' Not like clubs haven't seen him play, there definitely has been recruiters at pretty much every game he's played whether that's school or TAC Cup. Still a long time to go, things can change!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back