Bishop's 2016 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are you saying GWS will trade pick 7? Because if Setterfield is bidded on in the top 6 they'll have no choice.

Same goes for GC. Unless they trade picks out they'll have to use a high draft pick on Bowes
That's not what I am saying at all.

If an academy club has a live draft pick when it comes to their pick, they'll never draft one of their own academy players if they have the points further back in the draft to match a bid.

We'll have to wait until after the trade period to see what GWS and GC have.

There's been a lot of talk of GWS trying to move up to pick 1, so you would assume pick 7 would likely be part of that trade. It's borderline when Setterfield
might be bid on. Of course GWS will match, but there's always the possibility no club bids on Setterfield before 7. But as I've argued elsewhere, draft tactics dictate that academy clubs can't be allowed to use high draft picks on non academy kids if the academy club has an academy player rated in that range.

Lots of possibilities for GC. They likely end up with pick 6 as well during the trade period. If they don't trade out a top 10 pick during the trade period for an experienced player, they could take pick 4, 6 and 8 to the draft and not care who bids on Bowes when. Or use a combination to try and trade for pick 1 themselves.

That's not what I am saying at all.

If an academy club has a live draft pick when it comes to their pick, they'll never draft one of their own academy players if they have the points further back in the draft to match a bid.

We'll have to wait until after the trade period to see what GWS and GC have.

There's been a lot of talk of GWS trying to move up to pick 1, so you would assume pick 7 would likely be part of that trade. It's borderline when Setterfield
might be bid on. Of course GWS will match, but there's always the possibility no club bids on Setterfield before 7. But as I've argued elsewhere, draft tactics dictate that academy clubs can't be allowed to use high draft picks on non academy kids if the academy club has an academy player rated in that range.

Lots of possibilities for GC. They likely end up with pick 6 as well during the trade period. If they don't trade out a top 10 pick during the trade period for an experienced player, they could take pick 4, 6 and 8 to the draft and not care who bids on Bowes when. Or use a combination to try and trade for pick 1 themselves.
Strange that you quoted me then. Because I never said they would. I think we all know that no club would use a pick on an academy player if they didn't have to.

All I was asking is if GWS would still have pick 7, what was the chances of Seeterfield going in the top 6, forcing GWS to use that pick.

Last edited:
Strange that you quoted me then. Because I never said they would. I think we all know that no club would use a pick on an academy player if they didn't have to.

All I was asking is if GWS would still have pick 7, what was the chances of Seeterfield going in the top 6, forcing GWS to use that pick.
Sorry I misread your post, that I first responded to.

Hi there,

Just wondering where McCluggage and McGrath would have gone in last years draft? Top 5?

With all of the academy kids GWS have this year Bish, do you see any of them falling through to other clubs?

i haven't sat down and looked at the points and everything but I'd expect it to play out like this.
GWS match Perryman & Setterfield bids without question. I'd expect them to match Macreadie too after being involved in him moving school.
GWS think about matching Sproule- but it depends on where the bid comes in.

I'd expect them to let all the others go past them, but depends on where the bids come in & what their list numbers are at coming into the draft as they need to be reduced.

Hi there,

Just wondering where McCluggage and McGrath would have gone in last years draft? Top 5?

I'd have the same first four picks- But I reckon I would've taken McCluggage over Parish if we went back 12 months ago (that's taking out Parish's outstanding year, but if they had the same seasons in 2015) I'd take Parish at #5. I'd have McGrath a chance to be going to Gold Coast or maybe the Blues. It's hard to say, because if Hughy is taken where Parish is he probably goes in front of McGrath...

Do you remember where he rated them?
I don't sorry. From memory, McCluggage was the first 2016 draftee and slotted in at 4th or 5th, being the only one to crack the top 7.

As many of the draft pundits have said, the top talent this year isn't quite as good as previous years.

I don't sorry. From memory, McCluggage was the first 2016 draftee and slotted in at 4th or 5th, being the only one to crack the top 7.

As many of the draft pundits have said, the top talent this year isn't quite as good as previous years.
He had Weitering at 1 and Mills at 2

i haven't sat down and looked at the points and everything but I'd expect it to play out like this.
GWS match Perryman & Setterfield bids without question. I'd expect them to match Macreadie too after being involved in him moving school.
GWS think about matching Sproule- but it depends on where the bid comes in.

I'd expect them to let all the others go past them, but depends on where the bids come in & what their list numbers are at coming into the draft as they need to be reduced.

I'd have the same first four picks- But I reckon I would've taken McCluggage over Parish if we went back 12 months ago (that's taking out Parish's outstanding year, but if they had the same seasons in 2015) I'd take Parish at #5. I'd have McGrath a chance to be going to Gold Coast or maybe the Blues. It's hard to say, because if Hughy is taken where Parish is he probably goes in front of McGrath...
Cheers Bish.
I'm interested in Sproule and would like Carlton to have a crack at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bishop hey mate very happy with the dogs getting 2 picks inside 30 today, who do you think the dogs will take at 18 and 26 or what might be the best combo for the considering we may go for a KPP and a mid

I haven't sat down and looked- But what I think is that
Josh Battle & Will Hayward would be good medium/talls to bring in to the Dogs

Jy Simpkin, Alex Witherden, Daniel Venables, Jarrod Berry other 'mids' that might be under consideration.

I haven't sat down and looked- But what I think is that
Josh Battle & Will Hayward would be good medium/talls to bring in to the Dogs

Jy Simpkin, Alex Witherden, Daniel Venables, Jarrod Berry other 'mids' that might be under consideration.
Thanks and can't wait for your phantom draft

Bishop hey mate very happy with the dogs getting 2 picks inside 30 today, who do you think the dogs will take at 18 and 26 or what might be the best combo for the considering we may go for a KPP and a mid

I was talking to Kayle Kirby's brother today and apparently they are looking at using pick 26 on him no-one picks him up before then. But they said he had to lost 5 kilos before the draft.

Hi Bishop, great work appreciate your insights and I'm very happy with the Baggers 1st and 2nd picks. SPS and Bunker would be an amazing outcome and if we could add Kerr at 3rdpick I'd be over the moon.
Thanks

Hi Bishop, great work appreciate your insights and I'm very happy with the Baggers 1st and 2nd picks. SPS and Bunker would be an amazing outcome and if we could add Kerr at 3rdpick I'd be over the moon.
Thanks

Will need to update it all, think Bunker will be there at the rookie. SPS/BRODIE/TARANTO (in that order) at Pick 5 & then Pat Kerr as a 2nd rounder my gut feel.

PHANTOM Draft updated:

I've tried to be as realistic as best with bids as to where I think they will come in- Obviously some clubs will be going into debt for 2017. So you can find my Phantom draft on the opening page here:

I've created the phantom off my own gut feel and from various sources of tid bits along the way. But as I've watched the most U16-U19 football out of anyone posting on the D&T Boards, I'd like to think it's an appropriate mark of where players should sit. Any questions- Fire Away!

I've aimed to top most clubs up to 40 players on their list- But some have between 37-40 despite this as I can't see Sydney for example taking three picks at the end of the draft!

Will get around to uploading my final Power Rankings of 80 names by mid week.

great PD, absolutely love your first 2 picks for us Bishop (Ainsworth/Berry) exactly who i would want.

really like Witherden as well although if Simpkin slid and both were available i would go Simpkin.

would also take Florent over Gallucci.

i hope you're right with Watson and Allison going so low as we wont go into deficit in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back