Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

mickjagger

Rookie
May 30, 2017
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Saw Hunter Clarke again on the weekend and he intrigues me. One week I think he is top 15 and then other weeks around 30. Just not sure about his foot skills?

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Saw Hunter Clarke again on the weekend and he intrigues me. One week I think he is top 15 and then other weeks around 30. Just not sure about his foot skills?

I've never been big on him, kicking is poor for me. I like him as an inside mid rather than as a back pocket. He actually kicked it reasonably well at the U18 Champs, but usage in the TAC Cup has been poor.

2nd rounder for me.

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
I've never been big on him, kicking is poor for me. I like him as an inside mid rather than as a back pocket. He actually kicked it reasonably well at the U18 Champs, but usage in the TAC Cup has been poor.

2nd rounder for me.
I think he is a 2nd rounder as well but for me he is a winger/ half back- doesn't get enough footy on the inside'He is most effective kicking 60 metres after a handball received

PostPaolo

All Australian
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey Bishop keep up the good work, I know with your Brighton connections are their any murmurings about the drafting of Jarnestrom or Williams by AFL clubs? I know both missed the Championships but haven't been cut off from TAC Cup ala Jayden Hunt, either worth a shot with a late/rookie selection for a club seeking a mid?

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey Bishop keep up the good work, I know with your Brighton connections are their any murmurings about the drafting of Jarnestrom or Williams by AFL clubs? I know both missed the Championships but haven't been cut off from TAC Cup ala Jayden Hunt, either worth a shot with a late/rookie selection for a club seeking a mid?

I know one Victorian club was very keen on Jarnestrom after the Under 16s, as well as he falls into St Kilda's NGA --- but not eligible for selection. He tied with Andrew McGrath last year for Brighton's B&F - and had a steller year in the games I saw. Has had a fair few 30 + disposal games this season, had 36 disposals v Haileybury in one of the bigger games of the season. Height will be against him at 177cm, but he's got some smarts. Probably plays his best footy as an inside mid, but might need to role up as a small forward at the next level. But worth a rookie chance - I reckon someone might take him.

Williams is Brighton's captain this year, elite speed and has a big athletics background. For the Melbourne supporters, he is the grandson of Team of the Century player Don Williams. Was arguably best on in the first 40 minutes of BGS v HY, but then was knocked out. Has had a few games of 40+ disposals, including a dominating performance against Geelong Grammar where he had 44 disposals and a stack of AFL clubs were watching on. The one knock I have on him is his kick - but he's got some nice traits that should appeal up forward. Maybe a chance - but we'll see.

APS v AGS & TAC Cup Finals are pivotal for both their chances I would've thought. Both sub 180cm too.

No real mumurings with either - but that's normally for players who are probably late/rookie - clubs won't go around telling xyz about them. Would expect both to get state combine invite.

Nathan Murphy Brighton's best prospect - and of the better private school kid prospects (bar the Haileybury boys).

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Bishop What do you think the Tigers should do with our 2 1st picks?

Take the two best available at our selections & then grab Naish using points from our later picks and pass remaining/rookie upgrades.

Ideally probably going to look for a tall in that range - Sam Hayes/Noah Balta/Aaron Naughton probably the 3 worth considering if they are on the board. I like someone with some speed off HBF which we don't really have - so maybe a Matt Ling type.

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
Take the two best available at our selections & then grab Naish using points from our later picks and pass remaining/rookie upgrades.

Ideally probably going to look for a tall in that range - Sam Hayes/Noah Balta/Aaron Naughton probably the 3 worth considering if they are on the board. I like someone with some speed off HBF which we don't really have - so maybe a Matt Ling type.
So you wouldnt trade them to move up?

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
So you wouldnt trade them to move up?

No I wouldn't - Will Sutherland was the only player I'd trade up for in this draft & he's gone cricket. Two picks are better than one for me inside the first round. Unless there is an out and out star at Pick 1.

And this year we don't have that, I don't even reckon Rayner or LDU will end up pick 1.

I know one Victorian club was very keen on Jarnestrom after the Under 16s, as well as he falls into St Kilda's NGA --- but not eligible for selection. He tied with Andrew McGrath last year for Brighton's B&F - and had a steller year in the games I saw. Has had a fair few 30 + disposal games this season, had 36 disposals v Haileybury in one of the bigger games of the season. Height will be against him at 177cm, but he's got some smarts. Probably plays his best footy as an inside mid, but might need to role up as a small forward at the next level. But worth a rookie chance - I reckon someone might take him.

Williams is Brighton's captain this year, elite speed and has a big athletics background. For the Melbourne supporters, he is the grandson of Team of the Century player Don Williams. Was arguably best on in the first 40 minutes of BGS v HY, but then was knocked out. Has had a few games of 40+ disposals, including a dominating performance against Geelong Grammar where he had 44 disposals and a stack of AFL clubs were watching on. The one knock I have on him is his kick - but he's got some nice traits that should appeal up forward. Maybe a chance - but we'll see.

APS v AGS & TAC Cup Finals are pivotal for both their chances I would've thought. Both sub 180cm too.

No real mumurings with either - but that's normally for players who are probably late/rookie - clubs won't go around telling xyz about them. Would expect both to get state combine invite.

Nathan Murphy Brighton's best prospect - and of the better private school kid prospects (bar the Haileybury boys).

The deeper Sandringham go in finals, the stronger these players' chances of getting drafted/rookied will become. Winning games in September will be on the back of these guys stepping up and producing what they have in those APS games when it really counts - at the pointy end of the TAC season.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hi Bishop, who do you think is the best key position player at kicking goals? Ignore leading up/playing on a wing/midfield potential, who excels at simply taking contested marks and doing what a key forward is supposed to do?

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton

Naughton had a good game on the weekend, looks a likely prospect.

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi Bishop, who do you think is the best key position player at kicking goals? Ignore leading up/playing on a wing/midfield potential, who excels at simply taking contested marks and doing what a key forward is supposed to do?

For me, Connor Ballenden is the best at that goal kicking wise and contested marking. He is a pure FF out of the goalsquare type when up forward, however Jarrod Brander is the best tall in it. He is more a lead up forward, but good at kicking (has a thumping kick) and marks well.

Brander did mix his time forward and back in the Champs, but we didn't really see his true forward ability. He dominated poor Riley Jones who got Mason Blakey'd by having to play on a far better opponent - Jones is 191cm and doesn't play KPD.

Ballenden last year showed his contested marking and strong goalkicking ability but we haven't really seen it.

Overall the talls have a few question marks in this years draft - with a number of 2018 talls who would be in top 3 calculations if they were in this draft.

A lot of clubs went interstate this weekend, so I assume a few were in WA watching on.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
For me, Connor Ballenden is the best at that goal kicking wise and contested marking. He is a pure FF out of the goalsquare type when up forward, however Jarrod Brander is the best tall in it. He is more a lead up forward, but good at kicking (has a thumping kick) and marks well.

Brander did mix his time forward and back in the Champs, but we didn't really see his true forward ability. He dominated poor Riley Jones who got Mason Blakey'd by having to play on a far better opponent - Jones is 191cm and doesn't play KPD.

Ballenden last year showed his contested marking and strong goalkicking ability but we haven't really seen it.

Overall the talls have a few question marks in this years draft - with a number of 2018 talls who would be in top 3 calculations if they were in this draft.

A lot of clubs went interstate this weekend, so I assume a few were in WA watching on.
Thanks, another question is that have the talls this year disappointed year? I remember last year we were saying this draft had many extremely good key position players.

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks, another question is that have the talls this year disappointed year? I remember last year we were saying this draft had many extremely good key position players.

Yep they've been disappointing. Not at where we would've expected 12 months ago.

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
How do this year's talls last year compare to next year's talls this year?

Next year's talls have showed in the U18 Championships that they're more than capable and will be "very" high selections. Whereas last year we didn't see Jarrod Brander & Will Sutherland (past).

Connor Ballenden was pretty quiet, while Sam Hayes sits in a similar boat.

So already the talls next year are ahead of last years ones 12 months ago.

PostPaolo

All Australian
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Thanks for the knowledge mate, haven't seen a lot of that group yet, try to avoid going to TAC games amidst the private school season, will have to look out especially with Sandy looking at another strong TAC finals campaign, keen for a high-accumulating mid with a late/rookie pick and they seem to tick the boxes.

Falcon27

Club Legend
Sep 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Naughton was excellent for Peel on the weekend. And apparently was similar the week before on debut. I think he was holding down CHB for Peel against Subiaco, who are the best WAFL team at the moment, and took a lot of contested marks with clean one grab attempts. Even went forward and kicked a big 50m goal at one point.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
Bishop Do you have an idea on what it would cost to trade for Jacob Hopper this year? A rumour floating about that we are interested.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
Naughton was excellent for Peel on the weekend. And apparently was similar the week before on debut. I think he was holding down CHB for Peel against Subiaco, who are the best WAFL team at the moment, and took a lot of contested marks with clean one grab attempts. Even went forward and kicked a big 50m goal at one point.
Only seen the guy play twice but he has star CHB written all over him for me. Can't believe he isn't considered a 1st round pick.

DaveLister

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bishop Do you have an idea on what it would cost to trade for Jacob Hopper this year? A rumour floating about that we are interested.
Trade value in terms of draft picks is a mix of a lot of factors.
Age, and in the case of really young players where they were taken in their own draft compared to that draft
Form at AFL and to a lesser degree 2nds
Contracted/uncontracted
The value of the picks you are trading with relative to the strength of that draft
The number of suitor clubs or if a player nominates a destination

So in the Hypothetical scenario in which Hopper nominates Richmond:
Hopper was bid on at pick 7 and matched by GWS with pick 11 strong first round draft (2015)
Hoppers top end games at AFL justify where he was bid on but through injury he's missed a fair bit of the season so he doesn't have a lot of exposed form
He is uncontracted
This draft is less deep but the first round looks to be comparable in strength to 2015 (maybe a touch weaker)

No exact scientific formula here but when you take into consideration these factors I'd say Hoppers value is somewhere between pick 12 and pick 17ish, with a minimum of a first round pick as part of the trade

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Bishop
Jordan Johnston named in the midfield mix again on the weekend, will be interesting to see how he goes against the likes of Worpel and Parish etc.

Reckon the AFL recruiters will be out in force with quite a few draft prospects playing including several 1st round prospects?

Back