Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bishop
Jordan Johnston named in the midfield mix again on the weekend, will be interesting to see how he goes against the likes of Worpel and Parish etc.

Reckon the AFL recruiters will be out in force with quite a few draft prospects playing including several 1st round prospects?

Most clubs will do school footy Friday & Saturday > then they'll either do one of the two country games on Sunday (& no doubt a few will go interstate).

Not sure there will be a 1st rounder out there - maybe Matty Ling the only one. The big strength in the draft pool is in Metro -- with even some of the best Country players playing school football. So again as I've said on multiple occasions the TAC Cup isn't very strong when school footy is on.

Most clubs will do school footy Friday & Saturday > then they'll either do one of the two country games on Sunday (& no doubt a few will go interstate).

Not sure there will be a 1st rounder out there - maybe Matty Ling the only one. The big strength in the draft pool is in Metro -- with even some of the best Country players playing school football. So again as I've said on multiple occasions the TAC Cup isn't very strong when school footy is on.
I know Cassidy Parish's kicking isn't too hot but it's a bit surprising he's not received a enough noms to get a gig at the Draft Combine isn't it??

I know Cassidy Parish's kicking isn't too hot but it's a bit surprising he's not received a enough noms to get a gig at the Draft Combine isn't it??
I think because he isn't great athletically they feel he can just do state. You have guys like Henderson and Domic attending because they do have some nice athletic traits. Parish I doubt would excel at any of the tests to make clubs feel it's worth it

I think because he isn't great athletically they feel he can just do state. You have guys like Henderson and Domic attending because they do have some nice athletic traits. Parish I doubt would excel at any of the tests to make clubs feel it's worth it
He might even excel in the kicking test, that would turn a few heads...;)

Nah not surprising - been pegged to be a late pick/rookie for a while.

Surely goes to State...will get picked up Imo

Will cop a state invite - not a hugely athletic player.

Agree - but the National Combine interview process is far more formalised than the state combine and I'd argue that they are way more important than the testing.

Dylan Clarke came top 10 in the kicking test though haha That would be funny though

Field kicking at the combine is a far different situation to 'bombing' the ball out of stoppages or being under pressure with 10 blokes around you at a contest.

Can't compare the two.

Parish has no second effort and is always last to the contest.

Bishop, what's your opinion on Lachie Harris? Obviously missed the Vic Metro squad, but looks like he's been putting together some decent footy for his school and Sandringham. Size will obviously cont against him, but I get the feeling the Lions will take him as a rookie or late pick.

Bishop, what's your opinion on Lachie Harris? Obviously missed the Vic Metro squad, but looks like he's been putting together some decent footy for his school and Sandringham. Size will obviously cont against him, but I get the feeling the Lions will take him as a rookie or late pick.

Harris has been pretty good for Caulfield Grammar playing as an inside midfielder, been just ok for Sandringham Dragons. Size will count against him and I don't think they'll take him at this stage. The problem is he's played majority of his time as an inside mid, but at 170cm he really will only make it as a small forward at the next level. Would like him to play more there as a pure small forward, but there's other pure small forwards that I'd take over him -- and even then some of them wouldn't get taken.

Not sure Harris will even state combine invite. Overall I think he gets overlooked, but because of F/S eligibility 'maybe' they take him as a rookie - but I wouldn't be surprised to see him not taken.

Bishop, there a number of us on our board that are quite keen on Paddy Dow. Was wondering if you had a small inkling where he sits on some teams boards (big ask I know). My main concern is that it looks like that we will finish with 1,2 or 3 and that it might be too high. I know that LDU is thereabouts but think that Paddy might offer more with the contested ball.

Bishop, there a number of us on our board that are quite keen on Paddy Dow. Was wondering if you had a small inkling where he sits on some teams boards (big ask I know). My main concern is that it looks like that we will finish with 1,2 or 3 and that it might be too high. I know that LDU is thereabouts but think that Paddy might offer more with the contested ball.

Clubs have him in consideration for the top five - so no it's not out of the stretch to consider him for Pick 1. And he's a number of players I'd expect to be in Brisbane's thoughts.

Certainly in terms of the U18 Champs - Dow's CP numbers were higher than LDU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs have him in consideration for the top five - so no it's not out of the stretch to consider him for Pick 1. And he's a number of players I'd expect to be in Brisbane's thoughts.

Certainly in terms of the U18 Champs - Dow's CP numbers were higher than LDU.
Greatly appreciated.

Is he quick out of the contest?

And how so in relation to LDU and Cerra?
He usually hits the contests at speed and comes out with the ball, he is super clean in tight and rarely fumbles and his hands a usually very slick. To go with a nice side step aswell when he gets the ball in a clearance it's nearly always going to be clean and hit a runner on the outside

Last edited:
Bishop The word is Naughton is dominating in the WAFL. How high do you think a club will draft him this year?

Is he quick out of the contest?

And how so in relation to LDU and Cerra?

By the numbers Dow is the quickest (straight line of course) - but he plays that way. Showed it at times in the champs too.

Dow 2.916s 20m, 1.053s over first 5m
LDU 2.980s 20m, 1.094s over first 5m
Cerra 3.051s 20m, 1.102s over first 5m

Word from Brisbane under 18 watchers, is that the Brisbane scouts are big in to Paddy Dow.

One of a number of players they've watched closely this year - been very good in a poor Geelong Grammar team. Won their B&F as a Yr 10 & Yr 11!

Bishop The word is Naughton is dominating in the WAFL. How high do you think a club will draft him this year?

I think he'll be in the 15-30 category, probably somewhere in the 20s at the moment. Been good in the WAFL - but state league form doesn't always translate to AFL. Excluding Brander, he'll be the first tall defender taken at this stage without doubt.

Could RFC get Hopper for next years first?

Yes - but I 100% wouldn't be trading next year's picks under no circumstance -- Richmond got Prestia & Caddy last year. Couldn't see them adding another inside mid, doesn't make sense to me.

Who else are you aware of, that the Brisbane scouts watching closely?

Cerra, Coffield, LDU, Rayner, Constable a few of the players who they've watched closely + Dow. Obviously just because they watch them play doesn't mean that's who they're looking at, could be looking at O'Brien/Daniels/Brander etc when they watch Geelong Grammar not just Dow for example.

Plenty to play out before the end of the year.

Cerra, Coffield, LDU, Rayner, Constable a few of the players who they've watched closely + Dow. Obviously just because they watch them play doesn't mean that's who they're looking at, could be looking at O'Brien/Daniels/Brander etc when they watch Geelong Grammar not just Dow for example.

Plenty to play out before the end of the year.

If they're watching LDU and Constable, I'm tipping they're loving Brayshaw at the same time. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back