Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haileybury also have the King Twins and Mitch Riordan for next year. Jackson Ross and Oscar Clavarino on top of that. Not hard to see why they won the APS premiership

It's no surprise when they hand out a stack of scholarships - they should've won last year but choked in the rain against Brighton.

And you've forgotten Bonar - he'll go before Clavarino.

GWS recruiting manager quoted as saying he thinks the depth of this years draft is better than last years. "If I look at the guys who are probably going to get picked this year in the top-30, I like a lot more of them than what I did last year.This year the first three-to-five picks might not be at the level of what we rated Andy (McGrath) and Tim at last year, but I think the overall depth in terms of the first couple of rounds is better." Thoughts?

GWS recruiting manager quoted as saying he thinks the depth of this years draft is better than last years. "If I look at the guys who are probably going to get picked this year in the top-30, I like a lot more of them than what I did last year.This year the first three-to-five picks might not be at the level of what we rated Andy (McGrath) and Tim at last year, but I think the overall depth in terms of the first couple of rounds is better." Thoughts?

I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to what Adrian said.

I definitely agree with the 3-5 picks last year being better than this year - the 2017 ones have a lot more doubts and question marks compared with the 2016 ones.

I don't agree with him regarding depth & honestly GWS didn't draft a player last year from the National Draft that wasn't from their academy or Mature Age (excluding Pick 2). So did they really have a chance to view the draftees last year knowing they were always going to match their academy kids...

Everyone has their opinions & an opinion list this from Caruso isn't out of the ordinary. Every club has different boards/rankings. I remember one recruiter saying to me last year there was no way they'd draft Sean Darcy & he turned out going in the top 40!

Last edited:
Sorry should've added that - when talking about the depth of the pool, Pick 2 isn't relevant. And as Caruso said - Top 3-5 players in 2016 is better than 2017.
Top 6 even? Is there a player in this years draft that projects as a better prospect than Sam Petrevski-Seton?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 6 even? Is there a player in this years draft that projects as a better prospect than Sam Petrevski-Seton?

Not clearly at the moment - I do think some of the top handful at the moment could be similar players to SPS. But limited sample size, U18s to AFL is very different & you can't judge players on only 1 year in the system.

Not clearly at the moment - I do think some of the top handful at the moment could be similar players to SPS. But limited sample size, U18s to AFL is very different & you can't judge players on only 1 year in the system.
I just can't shake the feeling of being underwhelmed by this years draft crop.

I just can't shake the feeling of being underwhelmed by this years draft crop.

Yep I'm in a similar boat - makes it harder when the top handful have a lot of ?? compared with past years. Alas clubs still have to pick, so there's plenty of chat. But reckon they're might be a few kids drafted on their potential upside, compared with their current talent this year.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen to what Adrian said.

I definitely agree with the 3-5 picks last year being better than this year - the 2017 ones have a lot more doubts and question marks compared with the 2016 ones.

I don't agree with him regarding depth & honestly GWS didn't draft a player last year from the National Draft that wasn't from their academy or Mature Age (excluding Pick 2). So did they really have a chance to view the draftees last year knowing they were always going to match their academy kids...

Everyone has their opinions & an opinion list this from Caruso isn't out of the ordinary. Every club has different boards/rankings. I remember one recruiter saying to me last year there was no way they'd draft Sean Darcy & he turned out going in the top 40!

I imagine he has to say that if GWS top 2 picks are currently in the mid 20s

SPS' in his draft year last yr was very underwhelming.
Fully aware of this. In SPS's defence, he carried a recurring hamstring injury throughout most of last year, but he also carried a fair amount of credit from his performances as a junior from the previous two seasons.

Speaking from a Lions fan perspective on the Lions BF draft thread, at the beginning of last year SPS was at the top our fans wanted list, and never dropped out of the top 5 throughout the season. It was frustrating watching SPS struggle with injury when we wanted him to dominate and solidify his position at the top our wanted list. But it wasn't to be, and before seasons end the most common debate was between McCluggage and Ainsworth.

Coming in to this year, there wasn't really one kid Lions fans were talking about from their underage year in 2016. It was more about hoping a dominant inside mid would step forward to catch our imagination. At the beginning of the year I was hopping James Worpel might be that kid.

Our current discussions revolve around how there isn't a dominant mid which sucks for us, and that there isn't a dominant KPP that other teams might want to trade up to pick 1 for, which sucks for us. We really hoping that Carlton and North leap frog us for the wooden spoon and we end up with pick 3 so when we draft Paddy Dow, it doesn't look like a reach.

Already there's a lot of discussion about next years crop of mids with SA's Izak Rankine possibly a firm favourite, with Tom Berry and Sam Walsh being mentioned in discussions.

If Rankine was in this years draft class and we held on to pick 1, you could almost bet the farm Rankine would be a clear Lions fan favourite for the first pick.

Fully aware of this. In SPS's defence, he carried a recurring hamstring injury throughout most of last year, but he also carried a fair amount of credit from his performances as a junior from the previous two seasons.

Speaking from a Lions fan perspective on the Lions BF draft thread, at the beginning of last year SPS was at the top our fans wanted list, and never dropped out of the top 5 throughout the season. It was frustrating watching SPS struggle with injury when we wanted him to dominate and solidify his position at the top our wanted list. But it wasn't to be, and before seasons end the most common debate was between McCluggage and Ainsworth.

Coming in to this year, there wasn't really one kid Lions fans were talking about from their underage year in 2016. It was more about hoping a dominant inside mid would step forward to catch our imagination. At the beginning of the year I was hopping James Worpel might be that kid.

Our current discussions revolve around how there isn't a dominant mid which sucks for us, and that there isn't a dominant KPP that other teams might want to trade up to pick 1 for, which sucks for us. We really hoping that Carlton and North leap frog us for the wooden spoon and we end up with pick 3 so when we draft Paddy Dow, it doesn't look like a reach.

Already there's a lot of discussion about next years crop of mids with SA's Izak Rankine possibly a firm favourite, with Tom Berry and Sam Walsh being mentioned in discussions.

If Rankine was in this years draft class and we held on to pick 1, you could almost bet the farm Rankine would be a clear Lions fan favourite for the first pick.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

As a Blues fan myself being in a similar position I certainly feel the same way. If the old rules applied to being allowed to draft one 17-year-old, I'm of the opinion at Pick 2 I would rather take Rankine, Lukosius and both King brothers on what I've seen from limited games.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Blues traded down from Pick 2 to attain more draft assets, I'm hoping ambitiously trying to acquire 2018 first round picks from Pick 2 and Gibbs, not sure about the Lions though as you've got a nice haul of top 20 picks as it stands.

If the old rules applied to being allowed to draft one 17-year-old, I'm of the opinion at Pick 2 I would rather take Rankine, Lukosius and both King brothers on what I've seen from limited games.

Geez - selecting four players with one pick!

Don't be greedy now. :p

It's no surprise when they hand out a stack of scholarships - they should've won last year but choked in the rain against Brighton.

And you've forgotten Bonar - he'll go before Clavarino.

Can you tell us a bit about Aiden Bonar, has some huge wraps, what kind of draft range do you think he could go ?

Can you tell us a bit about Aiden Bonar, has some huge wraps, what kind of draft range do you think he could go ?

Balanced Midfielder/Medium Utility (Haileybury College/Dandenong Stingrays)
08/03/1999 | 190cm | 89kg

Coming off two ACLs in 3 seasons he's played very little, but his vision at Haileybury College has been promising and clubs have watched him closely. Played about 50% for Dandenong and had 7 disposals & a goal in his first game back.

Then came through the Haileybury 2nds having about 20 disposals and was good in their win v St Kevins last week in the 1sts.

He's a big frame and tackles hard & has been working towards his debut for a long time with a lot of rehab. He looks like an 'animal' with his strong frame and watching him run around for Haileybury as their runner - you can see he's a been hitting the gym.

His teammates at Dandenong & Haileybury say he is one of the best players they've even played with or against. I reckon he could get inside top 40.

Where do you see Dylan Moore going bishop? He seems like he can do everything on a footy field but his size and maybe lack of pace may hurt him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back