Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you see Tom De Koning fitting in? Good height and seemed to have a couple of break out games as a bottom ager last year

I've never been a fan of him over the last few years and it wouldn't surprise me to see him overlooked completely. There's a good stat out there somewhere if a tall forward isn't drafted in the Top 20-25 they statistically "don't" make it. There are exceptions of course - but there is no way I'd have him anywhere near my Top 25.

A few of his breakout games last year was when sides were weaker without school kids and champs games - has struggled against good defenders so far this year.

Something minor, but the link in your opening post is to your 2015 effort rather than 2016 one.

Cheers :)

I've never been a fan of him over the last few years and it wouldn't surprise me to see him overlooked completely. There's a good stat out there somewhere if a tall forward isn't drafted in the Top 20-25 they statistically "don't" make it. There are exceptions of course - but there is no way I'd have him anywhere near my Top 25.

A few of his breakout games last year was when sides were weaker without school kids and champs games - has struggled against good defenders so far this year.

Cheers :)

Hardly touched the footy in finals last year.
Hopefully he improves as the season progresses.

My smoky for this year is Croweater Stefan Giro, thoughts?

Of the players I saw last year one that seems to be flying under the radar a bit is Ethan Penrith, really impressed me with his speed and skills not to mention his defensive pressure and work off the ball, thoughts?

Of the locals I saw plenty of Aiden Domic really stood out, thoughts?

My smoky for this year is Croweater Stefan Giro, thoughts?

Of the players I saw last year one that seems to be flying under the radar a bit is Ethan Penrith, really impressed me with his speed and skills not to mention his defensive pressure and work off the ball, thoughts?

Of the locals I saw plenty of Aiden Domic really stood out, thoughts?

I'm actually a fan of Giro, every game I've seen him play he's been good. Someone actually asked me that last night via PM, but he's one of the SA boys I have on my radar. (I have Fogarty, Kreuger, McPherson - and then forget the rest in a sense) Mitch Crowden and Stefan Giro are two I like that probably haven't been spoken about much.

Ethan Penrith has been poor so far this year. Someone who I wouldn't have in my 60 players to be drafted right now. Skills have been down & while his pace and dash is still there his decision making and skills have dropped since I saw him a handful of times last year. Looked his best v Gippy Power when he played on Ben Ainsworth in 2016.

Saw Domic in the Vic Country trial for the first time this year and he seems to have bulked up. His hands in close were good and cleared it well from a few contested situations. Followed up well - but positioning wasn't great inside 50 at times. Need to see more this season - but think he'll be one of the few Rebels players to put their hand up.

I'm actually a fan of Giro, every game I've seen him play he's been good. Someone actually asked me that last night via PM, but he's one of the SA boys I have on my radar. (I have Fogarty, Kreuger, McPherson - and then forget the rest in a sense) Mitch Crowden and Stefan Giro are two I like that probably haven't been spoken about much.

Ethan Penrith has been poor so far this year. Someone who I wouldn't have in my 60 players to be drafted right now. Skills have been down & while his pace and dash is still there his decision making and skills have dropped since I saw him a handful of times last year. Looked his best v Gippy Power when he played on Ben Ainsworth in 2016.

Saw Domic in the Vic Country trial for the first time this year and he seems to have bulked up. His hands in close were good and cleared it well from a few contested situations. Followed up well - but positioning wasn't great inside 50 at times. Need to see more this season - but think he'll be one of the few Rebels players to put their hand up.
Isaac Hewson is another that looks the goods, looks top 30 to me.

Bishop , what do you think about us looking at a trade for either Himmelberg or Finlayson (even though he re-signed this year) as KPP targets this offseason?

Bishop , what do you think about us looking at a trade for either Himmelberg or Finlayson (even though he re-signed this year) as KPP targets this offseason?

I think it would be unlikely Himmelberg will leave GWS, whilst he's a good prospect and someone I'd target - but if he was to, family is in QLD and brother is in SA - So it'd be interesting if he went down south. Finlayson has played some good NEAFL games at time - but not sure that AFL standard is comparable to the NEAFL competition.

Josh Schache I would've thought will be high on Richmond's target list.

What are your knocks?

He's on my list - but have 30+ ahead of them who I'd draft at this stage.

Whilst he's a good clearance player, at times his handballing is what has let him down in the games I've seen him play. A nice kick - but I look at him and compare him to the other "inside midfielders" in the draft pool: Cerra, Davies-Uniacke eg - the bigger body might just win if I have a few players to toss up. Another is whilst his numbers were great in the SANFL U18s last year, the competition strength of that isn't comparable to the TAC Cup (with it being stronger than WAFL Colts). Good to see he's been playing reserves footy the last few weeks and his kicking efficiency is continuing to be high.

What does help him is two other inside mids Cassidy Parish and James Worpel lack polish and their kicking is poor.

Overall he's someone that I'll watch closely through the champs but have a wait and see with a few of the SA lads such as Giro, Edwards, Coleman-Jones, Crowden & Hewson (on top of Fogarty, Kreuger and McPherson who I rate in my Top 20).

He's on my list - but have 30+ ahead of them who I'd draft at this stage.

Whilst he's a good clearance player, at times his handballing is what has let him down in the games I've seen him play. A nice kick - but I look at him and compare him to the other "inside midfielders" in the draft pool: Cerra, Davies-Uniacke eg - the bigger body might just win if I have a few players to toss up. Another is whilst his numbers were great in the SANFL U18s last year, the competition strength of that isn't comparable to the TAC Cup (with it being stronger than WAFL Colts). Good to see he's been playing reserves footy the last few weeks and his kicking efficiency is continuing to be high.

What does help him is two other inside mids Cassidy Parish and James Worpel lack polish and their kicking is poor.

Overall he's someone that I'll watch closely through the champs but have a wait and see with a few of the SA lads such as Giro, Edwards, Coleman-Jones, Crowden & Hewson (on top of Fogarty, Kreuger and McPherson who I rate in my Top 20).
I feel his skills have been terrific when play down back, love his toughness and rarely fumbles and generally a good decision maker, atm he is in the 15-30 range for me. For me he has looked better in defence rather than midfield and ill be interested to see where he plays in the championships

I feel Hewson is in the 30-50 range at the moment, with potential to move up if he can get to the heights of his U16 form again. But he's certainly not just an inside midfielder, his versatility and ball use off half back is what sets him apart from other 'similar' players.

I feel Hewson is in the 30-50 range at the moment, with potential to move up if he can get to the heights of his U16 form again. But he's certainly not just an inside midfielder, his versatility and ball use off half back is what sets him apart from other 'similar' players.

Where do you think he'll play in the Champs? / Where would you play him ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where do you think he'll play in the Champs? / Where would you play him ?

I'd rotate him through the midfield and half back. Even though Hewson isn't big by any means, he offers a touch more size than the likes of Crowden and Giro, so that'll be needed through the middle when Fogarty is up forward. But SA do usually place a high importance on rebounding, and there's a hole at half back opposite Andrew McPherson.

Essendon are likely to get a pick between 8 and 12 IMO, which key forward's would be close to that range? Coleman-Jones a chance?

Coleman-Jones will definitely be available in that range - but I really can't understand the vibe with him & don't have him in my top 40 prospects and surprised some have him in the top 10ish. Kicking needs work, ruck craft is pretty good but if I look at the ruckman who have been taken early in the past (Eg: Tim English - brilliant kick of the footy, solid leap as a tap ruckman) I'd be very surprised if he's first round.

Sam Hayes may be one who is around at that mark, I think he's more of a forward/ruck than ruck/forward (similar style to Peter Wright). Marks well and kicks it well - sometimes question his leading patterns up forward but he's still learning forward craft and speaking with some of his U16 Metro team mates they couldn't believe he has the ability up forward as he never played there.

Noah Balta is an athletic tall who played one of his better games for the season yesterday. Great leap in the ruck and up forward & has a neat kick. Good mark too. As clean at ground level as I've seen a 193cm+ tall but another who looks completely unsure inside 50 where to run when the ball is kicked out.

Connor Ballenden is another tall - but linked with BL Academy & I'd expect Jarrod Brander to be closer to Top 5 with his ability to play at either end.

Good to see you back, Bishop!

I won't be following the draft heavily this year but wouldn't mind having a few players to follow.

A few types I feel we should look at:

1. Key defenders. Cordy looks good, Roberts is improving, Adams is looking good, but we do really need to improve our stocks here. Collins looks a fair way off it and hasn't shown a large amount of improvement as yet, Young is being developed there but is super, super raw, and past there we have nothing. Ideally, anybody we draft in this position shows good signs body-on-body - most of our defenders thrive when they're late to the contest but struggle when contact is initiated early. We really do need an experienced guy here but if all trade/FA opportunities fail, the draft is our best bet.

2. Natural forwards. Any height here, really. Just guys that show some goal-sense. We've got a lot of guys that can play in multiple positions but not a lot of natural, smart forwards. We're really desperately missing Dickson at the moment and he turns 30 this year.

3. Rotation inside mids with a bit of pace. I'm not expecting Dangerfield speed here, but somebody that has a little bit more pace than many of our other rotation guys (Dunkley, Wallis, Daniel, Webb). Jong's quick but has other issues.

Any names you can throw out there that might be worth me watching?

Cheers.

Good to see you back, Bishop!

I won't be following the draft heavily this year but wouldn't mind having a few players to follow.

A few types I feel we should look at:

1. Key defenders. Cordy looks good, Roberts is improving, Adams is looking good, but we do really need to improve our stocks here. Collins looks a fair way off it and hasn't shown a large amount of improvement as yet, Young is being developed there but is super, super raw, and past there we have nothing. Ideally, anybody we draft in this position shows good signs body-on-body - most of our defenders thrive when they're late to the contest but struggle when contact is initiated early. We really do need an experienced guy here but if all trade/FA opportunities fail, the draft is our best bet.

2. Natural forwards. Any height here, really. Just guys that show some goal-sense. We've got a lot of guys that can play in multiple positions but not a lot of natural, smart forwards. We're really desperately missing Dickson at the moment and he turns 30 this year.

3. Rotation inside mids with a bit of pace. I'm not expecting Dangerfield speed here, but somebody that has a little bit more pace than many of our other rotation guys (Dunkley, Wallis, Daniel, Webb). Jong's quick but has other issues.

Any names you can throw out there that might be worth me watching?

Cheers.

Thanks mate. Few names worth watching

1. Oscar Clavarino is good one-on-one but at the moment doesn't have the strength of say a Griffin Logue from last year. Sam Taylor/Aaron Naughton from WA are two who are reasonable on the last line of defence. The depth isn't really there in this draft so not sure they'll be too many key defenders taken who are ready to go with ability to play on the last line.

2. Jaidyn Stephenson as a medium tall would have probably the best forward craft and destined for a Top 10 selection. Cameron Rayner, Jack Higgins, Patrick Naish, Brent Daniels small-medium types who are smart around goal. Toby Wooller a taller type who is probably one of the smarter key fwds.

3. Paddy Dow, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cameron Rayner are inside mids who tested under 3 seconds for a 20m sprint in the TAC Cup. (Andrew Brayshaw 3.003s another contender). James Worpel another inside midfielder who is in the top 25 for speed - but does lack polish with his disposal.

Thanks mate. Few names worth watching

1. Oscar Clavarino is good one-on-one but at the moment doesn't have the strength of say a Griffin Logue from last year. Sam Taylor/Aaron Naughton from WA are two who are reasonable on the last line of defence. The depth isn't really there in this draft so not sure they'll be too many key defenders taken who are ready to go with ability to play on the last line.

2. Jaidyn Stephenson as a medium tall would have probably the best forward craft and destined for a Top 10 selection. Cameron Rayner, Jack Higgins, Patrick Naish, Brent Daniels small-medium types who are smart around goal. Toby Wooller a taller type who is probably one of the smarter key fwds.

3. Paddy Dow, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cameron Rayner are inside mids who tested under 3 seconds for a 20m sprint in the TAC Cup. (Andrew Brayshaw 3.003s another contender). James Worpel another inside midfielder who is in the top 25 for speed - but does lack polish with his disposal.

Interesting, I guess I haven't noticed that in the game I have seen.. but will watch for it. Will it diminish for draft spot iyo?

On KPF... where do you see McLean going

Interesting, I guess I haven't noticed that in the game I have seen.. but will watch for it. Will it diminish for draft spot iyo?

On KPF... where do you see McLean going

Yep - Worpel's kicking efficiency is rated poor.

I think McLean will be in a similar position to where Pat Kerr went last year. Generally talls have to be Top 25 ish to succeed and I really don't think he is that currently. Probably lacks a bit of mobility and agility around the ground.

Yep - Worpel's kicking efficiency is rated poor.

I think McLean will be in a similar position to where Pat Kerr went last year. Generally talls have to be Top 25 ish to succeed and I really don't think he is that currently. Probably lacks a bit of mobility and agility around the ground.

Poor ..good I hope he drops to Geelong pick. So R3 for McLean ..

Ok thanks

Poor ..good I hope he drops to Geelong pick. So R3 for McLean ..

Ok thanks
I'm hoping he doesn't get past Ports pick (which Brisbane own). We need to keep up our quota of drafting an underrated Geelong Falcons kid each draft. And I want no part of Parish junior, Essendon are welcome to him.

Explain that about Parish if you could.
Some Essendon posters, and on twitter, would like to see Parish jnr join Parish snr at Essendon.

Personally, I'm not interested in the kid as a Brisbane supporter. I've been the main cheer leader for James Worpel on the Brisbane page since last years draft. Oh, and I've already started talking up Sam Walsh for next years draft, can you do us a favour and find out if he's still a Lions fan.

Some Essendon posters, and on twitter, would like to see Parish jnr join Parish snr at Essendon.

Personally, I'm not interested in the kid as a Brisbane supporter. I've been the main cheer leader for James Worpel on the Brisbane page since last years draft. Oh, and I've already started talking up Sam Walsh for next years draft, can you do us a favour and find out if he's still a Lions fan.

There is a tendency for supporters of all clubs to brother link , a bit like Father Son ..whether its Parish or Guthrie perhaps even Berry..

Will not stop us drafting him if we rate him how ever...otherwize we would have left Joel Selwood for Brisbane or Westcoast (of course Brisbane did have the chance to draft him before us anyway but thats not my point.

Its sounds like Worpell will be available late teens so we will see if Brisbane has the picks for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back