Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have to play at least 6 games. The whole thing is based around those who get everything anyhow! what about recognising those who have busted their arses all year and get nothing? The competition needs to be careful that its not seen to be only looking after a chosen few.

I can sense the irony from the other end of the internet........

I'll have a crack.

Criteria is minimum 9 TAC games. Analysis of club's/coaches votes the best guide.

Sliding scale where 1-4 finishing teams got 3 players, 5-8 got 2, bottom 4 only had one representative. You win games, you get reps!

These are the 24 who actually made the biggest impact across the TAC season. There's probably a couple playing slightly out of position, so for that I apologise

B: Bernacki (CC) Davies (DS) Paton (MB)
HB: Clark (DS) DeWit (DS) Coffield (NK)
C: Wellings (GWV) H. Brayshaw (SD) Stephenson (ER)
HF: Higgins (OC) Wooller (OC) McCartin (GF)
F: Miers (GF) Johnson (MB) Walker (SD)
R: Hayes (ER) Parrish (GF) McGannon (GP)
I: D. Henderson (BP) McLean (SD) Stanford (OC) Porter (GP) Petrucelle (NK) Radvanovic (WJ)

Coach: Leigh Clarke (OC)

Should have to play at least 6 games. The whole thing is based around those who get everything anyhow! what about recognising those who have busted their arses all year and get nothing? The competition needs to be careful that its not seen to be only looking after a chosen few.[/
Poor ringo !!

I'll have a crack.

Criteria is minimum 9 TAC games. Analysis of club's/coaches votes the best guide.

Sliding scale where 1-4 finishing teams got 3 players, 5-8 got 2, bottom 4 only had one representative. You win games, you get reps!

These are the 24 who actually made the biggest impact across the TAC season. There's probably a couple playing slightly out of position, so for that I apologise

I: D. Henderson (BP) McLean (SD) Stanford (OC) Porter (GP) Petrucelle (NK) Radvanovic (WJ)

I like a games criteria...should be implemented!

Bishop....I see that Jack Roughsedge is back from injury & playing well again as an over-ager....What are the chances of the over-age boys this year in getting drafted?

I'm thinking especially of Wellings, Brayshaw, Paton & Roughsedge in particular.....Could you give us your opinion on these 4 lads?

Also....Are there any other over-age lads whom you think are a chance of getting selected outside of these 4?.....Cheers mate.

Bishop....I see that Jack Roughsedge is back from injury & playing well again as an over-ager....What are the chances of the over-age boys this year in getting drafted?

I'm thinking especially of Wellings, Brayshaw, Paton & Roughsedge in particular.....Could you give us your opinion on these 4 lads?

Also....Are there any other over-age lads whom you think are a chance of getting selected outside of these 4?.....Cheers mate.

I really liked Roughsedge last year, and was lucky enough to see his 39 disposal game before his injury. I'd consider him a chance to go late/rookie - but isn't a player I've spoken to many clubs about. His numbers have been good since his return and he was good in the games I've seen live.

Of those four, I reckon Paton is the most likely - as a rebounding defender maybe in the later rounds. There's others I like that play a similar role however, but 3rd round +

Wellings I'm expecting undrafted, or maybe a small chance for rookie. No real elite standout trait for me.

H.Brayshaw I've always said will be a good VFL player, but not sure he takes that next step. All well and good to dominate in the TAC Cup as a 19 year old - but that's easier when you're bigger/stronger than the 16-18 year olds running around.

Lloyd Meek, Derrick Smith (Richmond VFL/Pioneers), Ned Reeves, Tom Murphy, Bailey Morrish, Josh Jaska -- the others running around who 'could' get a chance.

I don't see any being high picks put it that way - rookie draft is a bit of a lottery so we'll see.

I'll have a crack.

Genuinely surprised/shocked you don't have James Worpel in the team.

Unless he missed the minimum number of games.

Genuinely surprised/shocked you don't have James Worpel in the team.

Unless he missed the minimum number of games.

6 mentions in the best from his 13 games. Plenty of Falcons have a higher % of mentions.

That's the rationale.

His TAC form has been good, but not as good as several others.

NB: I did break the guideline with Johnson and Miers who kicked 45 and 37 goals respectively without being mentioned as regularly as some team mates in the best players. Obviously their job is to kick goals. Jordan Johnston had to defer to Wellings as the GWV sole rep. because Wellings has 12 mentions from 14 games!

Last edited:
Hi Bishop, Could have asked you this on our board but may as well keep it here

Which clubs do you believe would be most likely to bid on Naish and have any clubs apart from Richmond have you spoken with about Naish.

Also which other players would you see as direct alternative to Naish if say a club was looking at an outside mid/flanker if you could name 3 and name in order best to last of the 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stephenson's back half of the year is mimicking Oliver's and Taranto's imo, Oliver went at #4 and Taranto at #2.

It's even more compelling because it's a change of role, will make recruiters wonder what could of been if it was the whole year.

He's head-to-head with LDU this weekend and still has the All-Star game to come.

I think he's going top 4 at the expense of one of LDU or Cerra imo, especially if he dominated LDU this weekend (likely in his current form)

I think one of those might get to Collingwood, if Freo go for Brander.

Hi Bishop, Could have asked you this on our board but may as well keep it here

Which clubs do you believe would be most likely to bid on Naish and have any clubs apart from Richmond have you spoken with about Naish.

Also which other players would you see as direct alternative to Naish if say a club was looking at an outside mid/flanker if you could name 3 and name in order best to last of the 3

Hard to tell who bids, probably someone like North Melbourne I reckon with their 2nd pick. There's no real player that is exactly like him, playing across HFF/OM - Jack Higgins is a smarter forward and Jaidyn Stephenson is a taller mid for example.

Clubs I've spoken to won't be bidding on Naish - they know the Tigers will match it and there's no point wasting their resources watching him.

Stephenson's back half of the year is mimicking Oliver's and Taranto's imo, Oliver went at #4 and Taranto at #2.

It's even more compelling because it's a change of role, will make recruiters wonder what could of been if it was the whole year.

He's head-to-head with LDU this weekend and still has the All-Star game to come.

I think he's going top 4 at the expense of one of LDU or Cerra imo, especially if he dominated LDU this weekend (likely in his current form)

I think one of those might get to Collingwood, if Freo go for Brander.

I disagree, because he's always been a highly touted player (and Oliver/Taranto weren't) - the earliest I could see Stephenson going is to North at Pick 4.

Yeah it's a change of a role, moving from that third tall/HFF player to a wingman - but he's played that position in the Champs/Ranges at times earlier in the year. Yes - lately he's had to play more midfield time with the likes of Cerra and North injured, but I personally don't see it translating at the next level.

I've always liked him as that forward option, where he can use his strong marking game overhead and goalkicking - which we haven't really seen since his move into the midfield, and those two traits are his strength. Clearances numbers are decent, but they aren't close to any of the better midfielders (or average ones) for that matter.

His contested numbers don't suggest to me he moves inside, and I'm not convinced he's a wingman at AFL level & his field kicking is average.

On his numbers from the last four rounds
V Sandy: 39 disposals (22 contested), nine inside 50s, six rebound 50s, five tackles and five clearances, 0 goals - Sandy weren't at full strength, but he played a far bigger role in the midfield hardly up forward.

v Calder: 25 disposals (12 contested), six inside 50s, five clearances, four tackles, one goal - Calder very weak team, with majority of his clearances coming around the forward half of the ground.

v Geelong: 25 disposals (11 contested), seven tackles, six inside 50s, five clearances, zero goals - Was very good in the wet, but his inside 50s numbers were contributed to banging it long in the wet inside 50, kicking at 50% that day

v Oakleigh: 34 disposals (10 contested), seven inside 50s, six clearances, four tackles, one goal - Was one of the Ranges' best in a more consistent performance, but did kick at 50% with some average kicks around the ground.

For me - I like him using his strengths as a mark and goalkicker, so prefer him up forward but don't see him as a winger at AFL level, despite his reasonably good month.

On LDU - they're completely different players so head-to-head match up I don't expect. But if North are left with LDU or Stephenson to take at 4, yeah I could see them taking Stephenson... All-Stars game is pretty irrelevant in clubs minds, no defensive pressure and it's basically just a showcase for the AFL - not a lot in that game translate to draftable stuff.

LDU getting to St Kilda a chance I would think.

Hard to tell who bids, probably someone like North Melbourne I reckon with their 2nd pick. There's no real player that is exactly like him, playing across HFF/OM - Jack Higgins is a smarter forward and Jaidyn Stephenson is a taller mid for example.

Clubs I've spoken to won't be bidding on Naish - they know the Tigers will match it and there's no point wasting their resources watching him.

I disagree, because he's always been a highly touted player (and Oliver/Taranto weren't) - the earliest I could see Stephenson going is to North at Pick 4.

Yeah it's a change of a role, moving from that third tall/HFF player to a wingman - but he's played that position in the Champs/Ranges at times earlier in the year. Yes - lately he's had to play more midfield time with the likes of Cerra and North injured, but I personally don't see it translating at the next level.

I've always liked him as that forward option, where he can use his strong marking game overhead and goalkicking - which we haven't really seen since his move into the midfield, and those two traits are his strength. Clearances numbers are decent, but they aren't close to any of the better midfielders (or average ones) for that matter.

His contested numbers don't suggest to me he moves inside, and I'm not convinced he's a wingman at AFL level & his field kicking is average.

On his numbers from the last four rounds
V Sandy: 39 disposals (22 contested), nine inside 50s, six rebound 50s, five tackles and five clearances, 0 goals - Sandy weren't at full strength, but he played a far bigger role in the midfield hardly up forward.

v Calder: 25 disposals (12 contested), six inside 50s, five clearances, four tackles, one goal - Calder very weak team, with majority of his clearances coming around the forward half of the ground.

v Geelong: 25 disposals (11 contested), seven tackles, six inside 50s, five clearances, zero goals - Was very good in the wet, but his inside 50s numbers were contributed to banging it long in the wet inside 50, kicking at 50% that day

v Oakleigh: 34 disposals (10 contested), seven inside 50s, six clearances, four tackles, one goal - Was one of the Ranges' best in a more consistent performance, but did kick at 50% with some average kicks around the ground.

For me - I like him using his strengths as a mark and goalkicker, so prefer him up forward but don't see him as a winger at AFL level, despite his reasonably good month.

On LDU - they're completely different players so head-to-head match up I don't expect. But if North are left with LDU or Stephenson to take at 4, yeah I could see them taking Stephenson... All-Stars game is pretty irrelevant in clubs minds, no defensive pressure and it's basically just a showcase for the AFL - not a lot in that game translate to draftable stuff.

LDU getting to St Kilda a chance I would think.

They may well know the Richmond will match, but that does not mean they won't bid.

Gross negligence otherwise, with the system for FS and academies clubs have no option but to have a reasonable assessment of players regardless of remoteness of the likelihood.

They may well know the Richmond will match, but that does not mean they won't bid.

Gross negligence otherwise, with the system for FS and academies clubs have no option but to have a reasonable assessment of players regardless of remoteness of the likelihood.

Well if they say they aren't going to bid - I know they won't be bidding. Every year, the bids come in later than expected. Fair few clubs had Bowes top 5 last year, but they didn't bid...

It's not negligence - use your resources better elsewhere, why go out to Ivanhoe to watch Patty Naish play, when you can go watch Haileybury with 5+ draft prospects playing etc. Clubs won't waste their time, when they are already stretched for time.

Well if they say they aren't going to bid - I know they won't be bidding. Every year, the bids come in later than expected. Fair few clubs had Bowes top 5 last year, but they didn't bid...
It's not negligence - use your resources better elsewhere, why go out to Ivanhoe to watch Patty Naish play, when you can go watch Haileybury with 5+ draft prospects playing etc. Clubs won't waste their time, when they are already stretched for time.

Carlton bid on Setterfield at #5 last year.
GWS also let go a couple of their Academy guys and as as Carlton supporter, I'm happy to have put that bid in for Macreadie.

Father/Sons may well have more romance and affection about them, but clubs should be watching all players, rate then bid on them, accordingly.

GWS also let go a couple of their Academy guys and as as Carlton supporter, I'm happy to have put that bid in for Macreadie.

Father/Sons may well have more romance and affection about them, but clubs should be watching all players, rate then bid on them, accordingly.

They should & they do - but they don't always work out like that. Need to remember SOS connection to GWS/Setterfield, is similar to Melbourne/Paul Roos bidding on Isaac Heeney. Macreadie was seen as getable by most clubs, same with Dunkley for example - they know if the academy/F/S club are serious about giving them up.

Academy kids have been let go at 20+ - but we're talking about a probable top 20 (Naish); so the argument doesn't really stand up.

Yet he was almost a consensus top 3 talent.

If you listened to Twomey's podcasts last year, in the weeks before the draft, he was pretty adamant the Lions should bid early on Bowes. It was almost obsessive.

We just had this discussion on the Lions board. Teams seem to bid on academy and FS players a little than where they are often rated. Often it's the perception of bidding on a kid you know you are not going to get, then picking a different player as your "second" choice.

Academies almost always match bids on highly rated kids. It's later selections where teams prioritise list needs over academy kids. The Lions have let academy kids go in favour of drafting a different academy kid later in the draft before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back