Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if they say they aren't going to bid - I know they won't be bidding. Every year, the bids come in later than expected. Fair few clubs had Bowes top 5 last year, but they didn't bid...

It's not negligence - use your resources better elsewhere, why go out to Ivanhoe to watch Patty Naish play, when you can go watch Haileybury with 5+ draft prospects playing etc. Clubs won't waste their time, when they are already stretched for time.

Because if you see something in him that Richmond doesn't, you may very well end up receiving the player you rate the highest at that pick.

It is unlikely that Naish will go anywhere other than the Tigers, but at the end of the day I would be staggered in this competitive day and age that clubs would just throw their hands up and issue an advantage to any rival (without there being other factors involving leverage at play).

But don't you get a discount also on the value, so picking later would be a double discount?
The clubs aren't picking later, they are matching bids, which are coming later.

As of this year, teams can only take the same number of picks to the draft as they have open list spots, so teams will be keen to keep picks close to where their academy kids or FS kids are rated. No more trading back to acquire multiple lower picks for more points.

And don't forget, as of next year, all the Vic clubs will have their Next Generation Academy kids to pick up as well.

Sorry if this has already been asked but could Aiden Bonar play in a similar role to what we've seen from Charlie Curnow this year?

Will Dow's surgery effect his claim on #1?

No - The other two in the same boat Cerra & Rayner are injured as well. So first time I can remember all top 3 touted players won't play again this year. Shouldn't make a difference

Bishop do have Paddy Dow's testing results from the TAC Cup preseason?

All his vertical leaps are above average btw
20m - 2.916s
Agility - 8.046s
Beep 13.13

By the splits, his first 5m was ranked 36th overall in the TACCup, at the 10m mark he was the 7th fastest overall in the TAC Cup and his time of 2.916s was the 16th fastest overall.

Sorry if this has already been asked but could Aiden Bonar play in a similar role to what we've seen from Charlie Curnow this year?

Yep - think that's not a bad comparison. I reckon he turns out a midfielder, unlike Curnow who probably is a forward line term - but similar styles really.

Carlton bid on Setterfield at #5 last year.
GWS also let go a couple of their Academy guys and as as Carlton supporter, I'm happy to have put that bid in for Macreadie.

Father/Sons may well have more romance and affection about them, but clubs should be watching all players, rate then bid on them, accordingly.
I agree with Bishop about the bids for FS coming later, I had spoken with a few people who had rated SOSOS as late 2nd early 3rd round but slid probably 15-20 spots.

Hoping Naish doesn't get bid on until mid 20's or atleast after our 2nd 1st rounder if we dont trade them

I haven't heard that - I'll ask around. Last I heard was U18 game 1.30pm at Punt Road, Under 17 game 10am on GF day.
17s game will be at Simmonds on the Friday and the 18s game will be 10am MCG grand final day. What would be the go for watching the 18s since it's at the G? I guess they won't let in general public to watch

17s game will be at Simmonds on the Friday and the 18s game will be 10am MCG grand final day. What would be the go for watching the 18s since it's at the G? I guess they won't let in general public to watch

I'd suggest it would be streamed, probably on the AFL app

Yeah got a few messages today about the change. Believe they will both be streamed on AFL.com.au, but I'll ask around. Simonds you'll be able to go, MCG will need a GF ticket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always a hard and maybe a silly thing to do, but what may your top ten look like had have the cast of '16 been involved this year.
That is to not take into account those players AFL form this year. How would you have it Bishop? If you care.

Last year I ranked them:
McCluggage, McGrath, Bowes, Taranto, Brodie, SPS, Scrimshaw, Perryman, English, Ainsworth

At the moment I have Rayner at 1 - He'd be the only person I'd throw in there & that'd be ahead of Ainsworth. I really liked what the others bring. There wasn't as much question marks on the 2016 top 10s, whereas this year there is no "perfect" standout who you can argue doesn't have a lot of weaknesses.

Last year I ranked them:
McCluggage, McGrath, Bowes, Taranto, Brodie, SPS, Scrimshaw, Perryman, English, Ainsworth

At the moment I have Rayner at 1 - He'd be the only person I'd throw in there & that'd be ahead of Ainsworth. I really liked what the others bring. There wasn't as much question marks on the 2016 top 10s, whereas this year there is no "perfect" standout who you can argue doesn't have a lot of weaknesses.

That's a huge drop off. Odds would suggest a 5/5 split or possibly a 6/4 or 4/6.
7/3 split would be at much longer odds, but a 9/1? Even then, you haven't got Setterfield in your 2016 list.
How far down the track does your second rated 2017 player drop? :)

Have we a 2003 quality-type draft coming up?

That's a huge drop off. Odds would suggest a 5/5 split or possibly a 6/4 or 4/6.
7/3 split would be at much longer odds, but a 9/1? Even then, you haven't got Setterfield in your 2016 list.
How far down the track does your second rated 2017 player drop? :)

Have we a 2003 quality-type draft coming up?

Setterfield next, then I'd slide LDU in.

It's not a great draft - last year I really liked the first 30 names too. Won't be as good as 2013 for example, but got some handy names there that will become very good players in the AFL.

What are the lot of weaknesses that Dow has?

Can bang a few of his kicks out of stoppages, not a 'huge' ball winner unlike some other full time mids. A lot's probably overstating it - but they fact that there's question marks on a few areas of the top players this year, compared with last year more so.

Setterfield next, then I'd slide LDU in.

It's not a great draft - last year I really liked the first 30 names too. Won't be as good as 2013 for example, but got some handy names there that will become very good players in the AFL.

I had it as 2003 and not 2013, as the 2003 draft was a shocker

Hey Bishop. Just watching the Rays v Ranges game on the TAC website.

Really like the games of two big men. Jasper Rouget (Ranges) and Bailey Williams (Rays).

What can you tell me about these two guys and are they likely rookie listed possibilities? Both appear to have some tricks.

Hey Bishop, what are your thoughts on Brander's strengths and weaknesses?

It seems like very few people have him as the best player of the draft at this stage.

For all their national combine invites, Eastern's inability to defend a 50 point lead at half time shows exactly how poor their players are at the defensive side of the game, which surely must be a consideration for clubs in recruiting isn't it?

Fine to be able to kick freak goals, but if you can't chase, lock down, retain the footy, to stem an opposition team's momentum, you're starting a fair way behind most other draftees.

For all their national combine invites, Eastern's inability to defend a 50 point lead at half time shows exactly how poor their players are at the defensive side of the game, which surely must be a consideration for clubs in recruiting isn't it?

Fine to be able to kick freak goals, but if you can't chase, lock down, retain the footy, to stem an opposition team's momentum, you're starting a fair way behind most other draftees.
Seeing that they had such a poor showing, where does this now put those players in your draft selection.

Seeing that they had such a poor showing, where does this now put those players in your draft selection.

It's probably more the fact they won't play a preliminary or grand final which will probably keep a ceiling on how high they could go.

However, if AFL clubs think TAC players aren't properly coached in defensive principles, this game is a classic case which would prove the theory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back