Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No they aren't academy picks - BUT they are still technically part of the GWS Academy (have played in the U18 Academy Series for the Giants)
I can only guess it is because of the revamp of Division 2 getting rid of the state based teams, and the Allies team being picked from the 4 academy teams plus TAS and N.T.

I can only guess it is because of the revamp of Division 2 getting rid of the state based teams, and the Allies team being picked from the 4 academy teams plus TAS and N.T.

Not sure the full reason, Elliott Himmelberg for example was in the Brisbane Lions academy yet wasn't eligible to be drafted by them. Think it's a similar one to that - but yes it means Brander/Spargo will play for Allies.

Not sure the full reason, Elliott Himmelberg for example was in the Brisbane Lions academy yet wasn't eligible to be drafted by them. Think it's a similar one to that - but yes it means Brander/Spargo will play for Allies.
I would say only vaguely. In EH's case, he was part of the Giants Academy for several years but moved up to Brisbane & changed academies for his last year - so didn't meet the residency requirements to be drafted by Lions. I would say that you join an academy to get the best training & improve your chance to get drafted, and obviously AFL doesn't necessarily stop players joining even if not eligible to be drafted to that team (well, they did with Marshall, so perhaps better to say the AFL cherry-pick what they do). This year, the problem was that they changed the whole Division 2 setup to an academy-based series - but then took a hacksaw to the GWS zones about 2 weeks before the series started. The Branders & Spargos have other ways of getting seen, and selected for the Allies team but the lesser players in zones cut from GWS out don't, the GWS Academy squad had already been chosen etc, so it would appear (without any actual announcement from AFL), that they had to let GWS go ahead with who they had selected. It will be interesting to see what they do next year - once a bunch of NSW kids are cut out of the GWS academy and makes it more difficult to get selected for the Allies team in the Division 1 Championships.

Bishop - a side question. So many times I've read that further allowance be given to player who is born later in the year, just because of the development vs earlier birthdays.

Bishop - a side question. So many times I've read that further allowance be given to player who is born later in the year, just because of the development vs earlier birthdays.

Yep I think it's definitely a consideration - And it may depend on the type of player. Is a small forward going to grow/add size if he's born in late December, compared to a tall forward/defender who is developing his craft and may have only started growing late in the piece.

If you look at a player 179cm midfielder who plays well in the TAC Cup for example but he's a Jan/Feb birthday you might get to the draft and go "he doesn't have too much upside". Sometimes clubs will look at the potential for the player: Is Player A who is already developed (February born), might only have a small upside vs Player B who is pretty raw (December born) and showed some elite characteristics might have a huge upside but isn't the best player at the moment.

3. Paddy Dow, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Cameron Rayner are inside mids who tested under 3 seconds for a 20m sprint in the TAC Cup. (Andrew Brayshaw 3.003s another contender). James Worpel another inside midfielder who is in the top 25 for speed - but does lack polish with his disposal.
Were any of those you mentioned above under 2.95sec by any chance?

Also, do you have the times or ranges for O'Brien, Cerra, Garner and both Fogarty's please?

If we use one or two early to mid firsts in the draft we could do with some real speed and skill, ideally.

Yep I think it's definitely a consideration - And it may depend on the type of player. Is a small forward going to grow/add size if he's born in late December, compared to a tall forward/defender who is developing his craft and may have only started growing late in the piece.

If you look at a player 179cm midfielder who plays well in the TAC Cup for example but he's a Jan/Feb birthday you might get to the draft and go "he doesn't have too much upside". Sometimes clubs will look at the potential for the player: Is Player A who is already developed (February born), might only have a small upside vs Player B who is pretty raw (December born) and showed some elite characteristics might have a huge upside but isn't the best player at the moment.
Tom Williamson falling into this category from last draft, has stepped in nicely at Carlton.

Were any of those you mentioned above under 2.95sec by any chance?

Also, do you have the times or ranges for O'Brien, Cerra, Garner and both Fogarty's please?

If we use one or two early to mid firsts in the draft we could do with some real speed and skill, ideally.

Dow 2.916s
Davies-Uniacke 2.980s
Rayner 2.982s
O'Brien (Didn't test at TAC Cup testing this year, but know he was sub 3 seconds in some AFL Academy testing and ran 2.982s in 2016 testing)
Cerra 3.051s
Garner (Didn't test at TAC Cup testing this year, but know he was 3.099s in 2016 testing)
L.Fogarty 3.052s

I don't have any testing on hand of D.Fogarty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bishop

I really liked Reece Piper last year, thought he was stiff not to at least get rookied and I see he's still listed at the Stingrays as an over ager.....but hasn't played to my knowledge. Do you know what the go is there? Is he injured?

Bishop

I really liked Reece Piper last year, thought he was stiff not to at least get rookied and I see he's still listed at the Stingrays as an over ager.....but hasn't played to my knowledge. Do you know what the go is there? Is he injured?

I thought he was definitely worth a rookie spot last year. The Stingrays had planned to use him as an IM this year.

I'm not 100% sure, he hasn't played locally as far as I can see so likely injured. You can also only play a certain number of overagers per team in the TAC Cup - so that may be another reason he could be missing.

A tad off-topic Bish but was BigFooty playing up for you last night?

Also, watching Richmond getting pantsed by Adelaide last night and Essendon playing like crap earlier, they both definitely need another ruckman and a 195+ defender.

Apart from Sam Hayes and Callum Coleman-Jones, is Lloyd Meek an option for either side?

Finally, who are good replacements for Watson, Stanton and Dea?

A tad off-topic Bish but was BigFooty playing up for you last night?

Also, watching Richmond getting pantsed by Adelaide last night and Essendon playing like crap earlier, they both definitely need another ruckman and a 195+ defender.

Apart from Sam Hayes and Callum Coleman-Jones, is Lloyd Meek an option for either side?

Finally, who are good replacements for Watson, Stanton and Dea?

Was working ok - but I wasn't really looking too close at it to be honest.

I think Meek is one of the better possibilities of any of the '19' year old overagers in the TAC Cup this season. As always with ruckman they are generally going to be late picks/rookies so all three clubs could definitely grab one there.

I'm not on the Coleman-Jones boat as some are - but think Hayes is definitely a top 10 at this stage. You look at last year and Tim English was a superb ruckman as well as a great kick with really good mobility and still ended up in the teens, so it is hard to gauge where rucks will go.

If you're looking to draft players this year: I'd look at a player like Charlie Constable a tall midfielder on the inside and player good across half back to replace Watson. Stanton I think is past it and you should be able to find someone on your list to replace him. There are plenty of midfielders with better traits in the draft this year to replace him. I think a player like Hunter Clark, Ryley Stoddart, Kane Farrell & Andrew McPherson would be good players to replace Dea.

I thought he was definitely worth a rookie spot last year. The Stingrays had planned to use him as an IM this year.

I'm not 100% sure, he hasn't played locally as far as I can see so likely injured. You can also only play a certain number of overagers per team in the TAC Cup - so that may be another reason he could be missing.

3 overagers max per team.

I think Meek is one of the better possibilities of any of the '19' year old overagers in the TAC Cup this season. As always with ruckman they are generally going to be late picks/rookies so all three clubs could definitely grab one there.

Probably the last true ruckman to be picked in the top 10 was Billy Longer from 2011.
Brodie Grundy dropped from 2nd to 18th the following year.

I'm not on the Coleman-Jones boat as some are - but think Hayes is definitely a top 10 at this stage. You look at last year and Tim English was a superb ruckman as well as a great kick with really good mobility and still ended up in the teens, so it is hard to gauge where rucks will go.

That's something that forever befuddles me.

If they're good enough, you surely pick 'em.

Having said that, Sam Hayes' name has been consistently talked about as a top tenner.

If you're looking to draft players this year: I'd look at a player like Charlie Constable a tall midfielder on the inside and player good across half back to replace Watson.

Will keep tabs on Charlie Constable and maybe another Charlie in Thompson.

Stanton I think is past it and you should be able to find someone on your list to replace him.

I wonder if Kobe Mutch or Dylan Clarke can adequately replace Stanton.

I think a player like Hunter Clark, Ryley Stoddart, Kane Farrell & Andrew McPherson would be good players to replace Dea.

Hunter Clark may be gone by Essendon's 1st pick so that may be a reach but I like the sounds of the other 3.

Probably the last true ruckman to be picked in the top 10 was Billy Longer from 2011.
Brodie Grundy dropped from 2nd to 18th the following year.

That's something that forever befuddles me.

If they're good enough, you surely pick 'em.

Having said that, Sam Hayes' name has been consistently talked about as a top tenner.

Will keep tabs on Charlie Constable and maybe another Charlie in Thompson.

I wonder if Kobe Mutch or Dylan Clarke can adequately replace Stanton.

Hunter Clark may be gone by Essendon's 1st pick so that may be a reach but I like the sounds of the other 3.

Don't think anyone thinks Meek will be anything higher than a third round prospect - despite his good start to the season.

Charlie Thompson has played two solid games for Carey the last two weeks - finds the footy but does lack some speed.

I think Mutch/Clarke can replace Stanton.

I also think it's likely that Hunter Clark will be available at the Bombers first pick.

Is Hayes definitely a ruck at AFL level? Ive read some consider him a KPF who can pinch hit in the ruck like Peter Wright?

Is Hayes definitely a ruck at AFL level? Ive read some consider him a KPF who can pinch hit in the ruck like Peter Wright?

Speaking to a few clubs recently, they see it KPF first - ruck 2nd. Which is interesting as speaking to some of his teammates who played with him in the U16s champs they reckon he was a full time ruck. I still think he could be the opposite down the track though, has enough potential as a ruck.

Thoughts on Nick Coffield?

Really like Coff. I've got him ranked as a 2nd-3rd rounder at the moment. Finds the football and uses it well. Would like him to lay a few more tackles, but think he's one of the Knights boys who are definitely draftable.

Bishop, how has Davies-Uniacke progressed this year?...how has he gone in matches?, how is his body progressing?, how are Clubs/Academies talking about him?....is he looking like really pointy end of draft?

As a Carlton guy looking at about Pick 2-6 and a Mid, my 3 guys are D.Fogarty, Davies-Uniacke and O'brien...probably in that order. I prefer Fog and D-U to Rayner personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back