Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of curiosity what's your personal top 10/20 for the 2017 draft?

My current top 10 in no particular order (as trade week goes for another 11 days!) includes:

Naughton, LDU, Cerra, Stephenson, Rayner, Coffield, Brayshaw, Higgins, Clark and Dow.

Once the final draft order is determined, I'll probably sift these and others into some vague stab at a top....something.

We are all on a hiding to nothing though aren't we?

Could Brayshaw really look like a potential pick 1? I like the athletic potential of Bonar but it is he a natural footballer as well?

Lions love him - but I don't think they take him at 1. Either Dow/LDU.

Difficult comparison, but hypothetically if you had to pick one of drafting Brander or trading for Schache at a broadly similar price, who do you go for?

Schache

Is T Mcartin a player that can be turned into a defender?

Highly doubt it

Does anybody else look at names and decide whether that player will be a star or bust based on their name? Hunter Clark has superstar written all over that name.

I can imagine plenty of people getting excited over Aidan Bonar.

Everytime I watch a Stephenson clip I can't help but see him missing targets and making poor choices.

Is this an accurate reflection or am I being harsh?
He got better in that area as the year went on. The all star game in particular his decision making and composure was top noptch.

He got better in that area as the year went on. The all star game in particular his decision making and composure was top noptch.

I rate Stephenson very highly, and he did pull out some very neat and handy kicks. Ball use was better than I've seen during the year.

Pressure in that exhibition game was at an all time low IMO as nothing was on the line.

It was like a fast paced practice match. A bit like the NBA All Star Games where there's no defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could trade picks 6 & 36 for picks 12 & 18 and have one or both still available at 12 and get in a better player at 18 than what would be available at 36.
I'm all for a trade like that but I feel like it won't happen.

I wouldn't draft Dawson. Crossley has been an improver with his endurance - but for any player (especially a ruckman) who needs to cover the ground, to run a sub 10 beep test is appalling at the start of the year. Go back to May and I think the Suns were expecting him to be rookie-undrafted, now he may get a bid late in the piece (but I wouldn't expect it). Rookie chance for me.

Not harsh at all - it's one of Stephenson's down fall. His field kicking is poor.

KE: 60.6% in the U18 Champs
KE: 48.4% in the TAC Cup
He is good at taking low marks or diving for a ball he looks good. I didn't see him play midfield so can't comment on that part of his game. Not in the top 10 like others gave him.

Balta or Brander at pick 6?
Bolta at six are you serious. He hasn't put in a full game all year. Given he has had a few good 10 minute bursts in a few games but for me he has done nothing to deserve to be anywhere near the top 20.

I will be interested to see if list managers will concentrate on the TAC players again this year with a little less work put into SA and WA

4 playesr last year seem to have out played their higher picked opposition by a long way

WA

SPP at pick 18

SA

Haywood at pick 21
Parfit at pick 26
Graham at pick 53

Some abslute guns let slide maybe becvause they arent under the recruiters noses, if you were a recruiter you better earn your dollars and work a bit harder with those 4 sliding so far

I will be interested to see if list managers will concentrate on the TAC players again this year with a little less work put into SA and WA

4 playesr last year seem to have out played their higher picked opposition by a long way

WA

SPP at pick 18

SA

Haywood at pick 21
Parfit at pick 26
Graham at pick 53

Some abslute guns let slide maybe becvause they arent under the recruiters noses, if you were a recruiter you better earn your dollars and work a bit harder with those 4 sliding so far
I wouldn't go so far with Hayward and Parfitt I couldn't argue for them being top 20 picks yet.

also Parfitt getting a rising star nom
I thought haywood had a belter as a small forward in his first year at AFL

receiving a rising star nom
Im not saying they didn't play well but it would be hard to make a case for anyone in the top 20 to go behind them. May either where injured or were always longer term projects

Im not saying they didn't play well but it would be hard to make a case for anyone in the top 20 to go behind them. May either where injured or were always longer term projects

Just everyone one of them was without question a missed opportunity for all clubs, more so Port and Adelaide who should have been fully aware of Graham a lark medalist who's father played SANFL football, it seems ridiculous he made it to pick 53 and the way he went against sloane in the GF and kicked 3 goals was insane. I suppose the same could have been said about SPP who had a chance at the rising star award. Hayward is the surprise for me small forwards are hard to find who are any good

WA

SPP at pick 18

SA

Haywood at pick 21
Parfit at pick 26
Graham at pick 53

WA and SA fans get their knickers in a knot every year about their players potentially not being drafted high enough.

I am sure we could also name WA players that get drafted too high each year or Vic players getting drafted too low every year.
It happens, people just need to accept that a majourity of AFL talent will come from the TAC.

Just everyone one of them was without question a missed opportunity for all clubs, more so Port and Adelaide who should have been fully aware of Graham a lark medalist who's father played SANFL football, it seems ridiculous he made it to pick 53 and the way he went against sloane in the GF and kicked 3 goals was insane. I suppose the same could have been said about SPP who had a chance at the rising star award. Hayward is the surprise for me small forwards are hard to find who are any good
Hayward isn't a small forward he's 185cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back