Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Phantom Drafts' started by Bishop, Apr 10, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. richoatthedisco

richoatthedisco Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Recruiters were wrong about Graham (as was I). You have two Vic Country mids on your list, Drew and Atley, who Graham towelled up at the Champs last year. He was discounted because he's not much to look at. Richmond supposedly would have taken him at 29 if Bolton was gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. LemmingMaster

LemmingMaster Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Most recruiting teams would have a fairly solid group of people in WA and SA, I think it would be a little hit and miss in NSW and the Northern states.

3. LemmingMaster

LemmingMaster Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Graham may or may not be a very good player for a long period of time. At the moment he is 5 games into a career. One swallow does not make a summer.

Secondly, the fact he is from SA I don't think played a massive role in his position on draft day.

There are plenty of talented Vic players that drift in a draft year that outperform others selected above them.

I do agree with a previous poster that certain parts of Australia may have limited recruitment resources, but this is just a fact of life that with limited funds you have to allocate them into areas that get the most bang for your buck and Victoria is that area.

HARKER and Hellgood like this.
  4. richoatthedisco

Richmond
    Other teams:
    No, I wasn't saying where he is from had anything to do with his draft position, more his unfashionable style.

At the moment he is a premiership player who starred on grand final day. His career is already a success, no matter what comes next.

5. Hellgood

Hellgood Norm Smith Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Recruitment (and indeed selection) is not as simple as player x played better than player y on a particular day. Simply have to accept that extrapolation of a players potential and assessing the likelihood of them achieving that needs to be taken into consideration. Otherwise you would have drafted Pat McGinnity rather than Trent Cotchin after he absolutely towelled him up in a game a decade ago when they were juniors!

Graham, much like Caleb Daniel the year previous looks like he's going to prove the overwhelming consensus wrong. Will reiterate though that every year we see numerous high possession in and under smalls perform strongly, but eventually find it difficult to make the grade at senior level.

6. marty36

marty36 Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I suppose the weird thing with Graham was he actually won the Lark medal, not sure what else he could have done to propel himself up the draft order

7. richoatthedisco

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Der.

8. jedi mind tricks

jedi mind tricks Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I see you rate Naughton in your top 10

I have watched him a number of times live in both home and away games for Peel league and think that he could be a very solid defender for many years at afl level.

What qualities do you think he has that makes him a top 10 pick over other players in the draft and above other kpp players?

9. THE_GUN

THE_GUN Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    GALATASARAY
    True But when you consider that Graham came to the club injured and got re injured early on and played his 5 games without a preseason and to perform in 3 finals against top 4 teams with elite talent on their lists and do what he did is a sensational start to his career and will definitely improve with another 2-3 preseasons under his belt. He has the game to play 200 and is hard and tough

I wouldn't exchange him for a pick between 10-20 in this years draft from the games i have seen him play

10. richoatthedisco

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Bish, we've gotta take Brander if he's there at 15. Reckon he will be? Steal of the century if so. (Or at least since Rance.)

11. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy Premium Gold

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Hey Bishop, which clubs might take Hayes and where do you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Pykie

Pykie Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Leeds Utd, GOATshaw
    I didn't realize we had stumbled into the Richmond 2016 draft thread.

Richo83, princy_99, yaco55 and 5 others like this.
  13. Inzy7

Inzy7 Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Hey Bishop

Do you think Liam Ryan will be picked up?

14. HedgeFund

HedgeFund All Australian

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Already establishing himself at senior level. Appears to have enough aggression and physicality to play on senior AFL listed opponents.

Frankly, he is by far and away the most "ready to go" key tall in this crop and if a an interstate team doesn't grab him before WC (currently have #13) then he will definitely be gone by then. Fremantle at #5 might seem a stretch but with all the other projected top 10 coming from outside WA, it wouldn't surprise me if Fremantle grab him.

It's clear this new culture of free agency is starting to bring in a big trend of "go home" players. So why not pick a talented KPP who won't have to leave home and possibly play 10-15 years for you?

jedi mind tricks likes this.
  15. Sweet Jesus

Sweet Jesus Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    In WC's case, another key defender is not exactly the highest priority.

16. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    Would be crazy if they don't address their midfield. Especially as that is where the value will be.

17. HedgeFund

HedgeFund All Australian

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Understood, but McKenzie & Schofield are nearing the end of their prime and aside from McGovern & Barrass - what's coming through? If you can nail a 10+ year key defender who won't go home because home is in WA, you'd do that wouldn't you?

jedi mind tricks likes this.
  18. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    They may, but probably not with your first pick when you are desperate for midfielders. No doubt he is a reasonable selection at 13 though. Seems perfect.

HedgeFund likes this.
  19. foj1

foj1 Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    essendon
    I took graham at about 32 in last years bf phantom draft because he won the footy, was strong and honest and had a game that could compete I also believed people were looking for flaws that weren't there or not really significant. Before I pump my tyres up too much I took Dylan Clarke 10 spots earlier and he didn't play senior footy!
    Chris25 only rated my drafting a B! I drafted the rising star and arguably the grand final surprise packet. I want my apology;););):):):) tongue firmly in cheek

20. Chris25

Chris25 Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
    B grade sounds pretty fair to me. Missed on your second pick, and Graham only played 5 games for the year? Might drop it to a B- actually!

21. THE_GUN

THE_GUN Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    GALATASARAY
    The Aggressive reset will be on the next page - Just wait 30 minutes

22. Anythings_sipposible

Anythings_sipposible Senior List

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Hey Bishop, do you see anything weird about Collingwood delisting all their KPD depth, when it's pretty scant to begin with? Any chance they're going to draft a KPD with 6, or are they just playing funny buggers?
    Edit: KPD not LOT.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 9:22 AM
  23. Sleezy

Sleezy All Australian

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Morning Bishop

We've heard from various sources that Port is interested in Jackson Ross, Liam Ryan and Bailey Banfield. Any other whispers you have heard on prospects the port recruiters have their eye on?

24. foj1

foj1 Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    essendon
    Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. 08elf

08elf Rookie

Richmond
    Other teams:
    He'll be very similar to the next Joel Selwood - In that he came into a premiership winning team as a 1st year player. He'll be the heart beat of that midfield in years to come once Cotchin gets a bit older. He cracks in and does a team role, and while not silky smooth like say a Kelly / Wells type, sometimes a heart and soul type player is more valuable for the team cause.