Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If he is 50:50 he will choose afl. The lifestyle is far greater to stay at home with family friends get paid well and get to play footy infront of your friends, no brainer to me
Its possible he could go interstate, whereas he chooses cricket and he can stay in Melbourne.

Its possible he could go interstate, whereas he chooses cricket and he can stay in Melbourne.
Cricket you are travelling more. Way more and if he is to make it he will spend months and months a year overseas and will only be in Aus for 3 months (the aus summer) if he is a state cricketer there isn't much point you may aswell enter the draft. Way more career opportunities out of it too post footy

Bishop ... have you seen much of Tom McCartin... very young still.. is he a similar player to his brother?

Tom played his first game back from injury on the weekend. His overhead marking is a strength - leads a bit at the ball similar to Paddy and having watched both you can tell he's a McCartin. He's difference to Paddy as his ground level work is far better and he moves better than Patty did. Both have really good work rates.

Tom played his first game back from injury on the weekend. His overhead marking is a strength - leads a bit at the ball similar to Paddy and having watched both you can tell he's a McCartin. He's difference to Paddy as his ground level work is far better and he moves better than Patty did. Both have really good work rates.

Moves better..ground level better..yet probably late pick to Rookie..? sounds like he is worth a look

Last edited:
Tom has a better turning circle, better movement and better hands at ground level. If anything he's almost a midfielder/medium in a key forwards body (attributes wise). He probably needs to work on the key forward attributes more, as Bishop mentioned. He's alright overhead but doesn't clunk marks like Paddy does and doesn't have that dominant "beast" size that reeks of a franchise KPF if you like. So that's the difference really.

Tom has a better turning circle, better movement and better hands at ground level. If anything he's almost a midfielder/medium in a key forwards body (attributes wise). He probably needs to work on the key forward attributes more, as Bishop mentioned. He's alright overhead but doesn't clunk marks like Paddy does and doesn't have that dominant "beast" size that reeks of a franchise KPF if you like. So that's the difference really.

That actually sounds an interesting prospect for us.. and I do tend to think players of similar genes may well end up closer as they get older... so the clunk mark is something that could be works on while the ground stuff is very compatible to todays footy. Has he played as a mid ..contested ball?

That actually sounds an interesting prospect for us.. and I do tend to think players of similar genes may well end up closer as they get older... so the clunk mark is something that could be works on while the ground stuff is very compatible to todays footy. Has he played as a mid ..contested ball?

Not yet he plays CHF leading up the ground. But when you have Parish and Worpel in the team plus blokes like Benson, Walsh etc. you can't really take them out of the midfield to put a bloke in that hasn't played there. I think they've progressively moved him up the field but haven't seen him at a stoppage. I'd be interested to see how he goes when there's a congested situation because he has clean hands when leading to a space and his pick up is first class. But if there are other obstacles such as players in the way I'd be interested to see how he functions around the stoppage.

Hey bishop. You may have noticed a few things about my beloved crows... 1) we don't attract elite talent often via trade and 2) our midfield is as weak as piss.

So I ask you, who is the craziest see ball get ball with no concern for his physical well being type player?

Hey bishop. You may have noticed a few things about my beloved crows... 1) we don't attract elite talent often via trade and 2) our midfield is as weak as piss.

So I ask you, who is the craziest see ball get ball with no concern for his physical well being type player?
Forgot the ;) ?

Geelong Falcons pair James Worpel and Cassidy Parish crack in hard and win the contested ball, Charlie Spargo despite being 175cm cracks in as hard as anyone and has a bit of aggro and aggression. Spargo probably best fits that disposals, Worpel following him for me.

Vic Metro midfielder Jack Petruccelle is another who wins a lot of contested ball - but isn't "crazy' cracking in hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's your tip for the Champs Bishop? Metro seem to dominate your rankings.

Metro should win - they've got a strong squad. Though I tipped the Allies last year and they were average. I think it'll finish

Vic Metro
SA/VC
SA/VC
Allies
WA

Couldn't see WA winning a game - but it's a lottery with U18 games.

Bishop,
How is Coffield's season progressing? Has he had much time in the midfield?

Hey Bisho,

Not sure what your knowledge is like on SA players but your thoughts on Hugo Barry and Cole Gerloff. Both aren't picked against WA but will play for sure throughout the championship... Have you got a draft range on either of them?

Bishop,
How is Coffield's season progressing? Has he had much time in the midfield?

He's been super - I'd peg him as a first rounder at this stage. Has played midfielder and across half back/in defence. More of an outside player - but has shown he can push forward too. Probably just a touch more game time in defence than midfield so far this year but can play multiple roles.

Hey Bisho,

Not sure what your knowledge is like on SA players but your thoughts on Hugo Barry and Cole Gerloff. Both aren't picked against WA but will play for sure throughout the championship... Have you got a draft range on either of them?

Think both of them are rookie-undrafted, both had stellar games from all reports on the weekend at school level. Gerloff is a good ball winner, will be interesting to see how much game time they get.

Bishop , Just noticed you have both Balta & Ballenden dropping down slightly in your rankings - Any particular reason is it their performances or others moving up a cog.

Bishop , Just noticed you have both Balta & Ballenden dropping down slightly in your rankings - Any particular reason is it their performances or others moving up a cog.

I'll update my list over the weekend after Rd 1 of the champs. Have Balta just outside Top 10 and Ballenden just inside.

Balta for me has been played out of position for Calder - and looks far better for me at CHB/FB as a key defender rather than a ruck/fwd which they've played him, he his slip because he forward positioning and running/leading patterns aren't flash.

Ballenden has had a poor - average start this season from what I and many others had hoped. I couldn't see him falling outside the top 10-15 names come draft night, he's a super talent and the Lions will match.

Xavier Cubillo a chance to be picked up this year Bishop?

I wouldn't be drafting him at this point - was just ok in the Under 18 Academy Series for NT. Wasn't picked in the Allies squad which probably says a fair bit about his draft positioning, so probably an outside chance at this point.

I wouldn't be drafting him at this point - was just ok in the Under 18 Academy Series for NT. Wasn't picked in the Allies squad which probably says a fair bit about his draft positioning, so probably an outside chance at this point.
Thanks Bishop. Up the Tigers

Where do you rate this kid Bishop Callum Coleman-Jones ?

Also if we end up with say #13 & #16 which players do you think ?

What would you think of say Coffield ,Balta & Naish return for our 3 selections this year if they were not traded out

Hey Bishop, I couldn't find a thread about mature age recruits this year but surely Patrick Wilson from Sturt is a certainty. 21-22 years of age, has had some injury troubles but looks to be over that now. I remember he was very stiff to miss out on his draft year.

He's absolutely tearing it up in SANFL at the moment. Has brilliant skills and is a great kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back