Phantom Draft Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry about the delay, but for me considering it's hard to really work out a lot of the picks, I'm not one to speculate incorrectly. But most of the below is off some mail. Some mail is always good, some is incorrect...

Will have some more detailed & updated one next week.

ROUND ONE

1 BL - RAYNER
2 FREM - LDU
3 CARL- DOW
4 NMFC- STEPHENSON (Think this could be Cerra or Fogarty)
5 FRE- BRAYSHAW
6 COLL- CERRA (Pies to take the sliding mid? Or maybe a curveball)
7 STK- D.FOGARTY (Travelled to SA recently, must be on their hit list - Clark??)
8 STK- BONAR (Maybe Murphy)
9 WB- NAUGHTON (Long thought this was a chance, Murphy too in the mix)
10 CARL- COFFIELD (Think this could be Bonar/Clark/Fogarty)
11 GWS- HIGGINS (GWS recruiters love their numbers & Higgs is the best)
12 ADEL- CLARK (Who do the Crows grab if Clark is gone)
13 WCE- ALLEN
14 SYD- MURPHY (long link - Richards maybe if Murphy is gone)
15 BL- L.FOGARTY (Pair up the Western Jets lads)
16 WB- RICHARDS
17 RICH- BRANDER (Best available)

END OF ROUND ONE

18 BL- CONSTABLE
19 GCFC- PETTY (I have zero idea here)

ROUND TWO

20 RICH- LOB
21 WCE- KELLY (Believe GEEL, NM keen)
22 GEEL- TAYLOR
23 NMFC- BAILEY
24 GEEL- MCCARTIN
25 RICH- BALTA
26 WCE- STODDART
27 GWS- SPARGO
28 GWS- LING
29 MELB- O.BAKER
30 CARL- GARNER
31 MELB- HAYES
32 WCE- L.RYAN
33 SYD- HOULAHAN
34 STK- BALLARD
35 GEEL- MIERS
36 MELB- DANIELS
37 WCE- STARCEVICH

*** - Naish & Ballenden bids to come in after 25 at some point.
You have McCartin going to Geelong twice, he must be good!

Hey Bishop , you don't think Rayner's abysmal 2km time trial today will put us off taking him at 1?

No I don't - it was expected. Everyone knows he needs to improve it. I actually think some expected it'd be worse.

From what I understand, Lions know who they're taking at 1. They'll wait til Andy Brayshaw finishes his exam next week, then I expect it'll become the consensus public knowledge that it'll be (player x) -- who I expect to be Rayner.

No I don't - it was expected. Everyone knows he needs to improve it. I actually think some expected it'd be worse.

From what I understand, Lions know who they're taking at 1. They'll wait til Andy Brayshaw finishes his exam next week, then I expect it'll become the consensus public knowledge that it'll be (player x) -- who I expect to be Rayner.
Why is his aerobic capacity so bad Bish, has it been the same all through his junior years? IIRC he had around an 11 beep test as well. Has he had major injuries? It could just be a genetic trait, if we take him hopefully he ends up at least a 50/50 fwd/mid.

Hey Bish, I was just wondering how many of your links for the Eagles are based on mail you've heard?

I'd be a little reluctant to take Kelly and Ryan so early, and I'm worried that Allen, Starcevich and Stoddart don't sufficiently address our need for mids.

Thanks for working so hard to get this phantom up for us all.

13 WCE- ALLEN
26 WCE- STODDART
32 WCE- L.RYAN
37 WCE- STARCEVICH
You don't reckon that's pulling the trigger too early on Kelly and Ryan?

Overall, does that give WC the kind of midfield reboot they need?

Do it Bishop!

Sorry about the delay, but for me considering it's hard to really work out a lot of the picks, I'm not one to speculate incorrectly. But most of the below is off some mail. Some mail is always good, some is incorrect...

Will have some more detailed & updated one next week.

ROUND ONE

1 BL - RAYNER
2 FREM - LDU
3 CARL- DOW
4 NMFC- STEPHENSON (Think this could be Cerra or Fogarty)
5 FRE- BRAYSHAW
6 COLL- CERRA (Pies to take the sliding mid? Or maybe a curveball)
7 STK- D.FOGARTY (Travelled to SA recently, must be on their hit list - Clark??)
8 STK- BONAR (Maybe Murphy)
9 WB- NAUGHTON (Long thought this was a chance, Murphy too in the mix)
10 CARL- COFFIELD (Think this could be Bonar/Clark/Fogarty)
11 GWS- HIGGINS (GWS recruiters love their numbers & Higgs is the best)
12 ADEL- CLARK (Who do the Crows grab if Clark is gone)
13 WCE- ALLEN
14 SYD- MURPHY (long link - Richards maybe if Murphy is gone)
15 BL- L.FOGARTY (Pair up the Western Jets lads)
16 WB- RICHARDS
17 RICH- BRANDER (Best available)

END OF ROUND ONE

18 BL- CONSTABLE
19 GCFC- PETTY (I have zero idea here)

ROUND TWO

20 RICH- LOB
22 GEEL- TAYLOR
23 NMFC- BAILEY
24 GEEL- MCCARTIN
25 RICH- BALTA
26 WCE- STODDART
27 GWS- SPARGO
28 GWS- LING
29 MELB- O.BAKER
30 CARL- GARNER
31 MELB- HAYES
32 WCE- L.RYAN
33 SYD- HOULAHAN
34 STK- BALLARD
35 GEEL- MIERS
36 MELB- DANIELS
37 WCE- STARCEVICH

*** - Naish & Ballenden bids to come in after 25 at some point.

Would be surprised if the Giants selected both Higgins and Spargo and would think at least one tall will be selected with one of there first 3 selections.

Why is his aerobic capacity so bad Bish, has it been the same all through his junior years? IIRC he had around an 11 beep test as well. Has he had major injuries? It could just be a genetic trait, if we take him hopefully he ends up at least a 50/50 fwd/mid.

I don't know why it's bad - but it always has been like that for the last few seasons. I think he's a Petracca 50/50 mid type long term. Certainly not a full time mid.

Hey Bish, I was just wondering how many of your links for the Eagles are based on mail you've heard?

I'd be a little reluctant to take Kelly and Ryan so early, and I'm worried that Allen, Starcevich and Stoddart don't sufficiently address our need for mids.

Thanks for working so hard to get this phantom up for us all.

You don't reckon that's pulling the trigger too early on Kelly and Ryan?

Overall, does that give WC the kind of midfield reboot they need?

Do it Bishop!

I'll answer these together, everything based on mail for WCE:

Think they need midfielders, but you've got to look at what is on the board.

Kelly makes sense - can slot in. I actually think Ryan could go earlier than I have, which could mean that the Stoddart pick is off - but Ryley is a WCE supporter.

Allen is a very good player and he's the best available as I have it at Pick 13 for WCE. "Rebuilds" aren't just done over one year, while I'm not suggest WCE need one, they can look to target mids next year for example. Just because they draft them this year doesn't mean they slot in next year, which is very rare.

As a Carlton fan I'd be over the moon with that result.

Have you heard anything about Cerra for Carlton's first pick?

Hope you're right about Coffield as well.

I don't think this is correct. Rayner's time was abysmal. David Noble is a big fan of midfielders. Rayner does not fit this prototype at all. He was clearly best player for the season but this is just not right and he does not address our major deficiencies. I suspect there will be several heated arguments before next Friday.

As a Carlton fan I'd be over the moon with that result.

Have you heard anything about Cerra for Carlton's first pick?

Hope you're right about Coffield as well.

Cerra in the mix.

Really? He shows up pretty late in a lot of phantom drafts.

Not very accurate ones. Despite some clubs telling me they wouldn't draft him - he'll go inside the top 30.

I don't think this is correct. Rayner's time was abysmal. David Noble is a big fan of midfielders. Rayner does not fit this prototype at all. He was clearly best player for the season but this is just not right and he does not address our major deficiencies. I suspect there will be several heated arguments before next Friday.

As you said, Rayner was clearly the best player. And in most people's opinion, is the most talented. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brisbane still took Rayner at 1..

After all, David noble has been heard on many occasion saying that you "draft for talent, and trade for needs".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brander, LOB & Balta and then a bid on Naish matched with our later picks. Done

Sorry if this is a silly question but who is “LOB” my first year really following the draft and just been using the inside football draft profiles to get an idea of the pool but I couldn’t find anyone with that last name

Remove this Banner Ad

Back