Bizarre Misconceptions of Non-Collingwood Supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

What are some of the strange conversations you’ve had with fans of rival clubs, where they have flawed assumptions/insights into our club and leave you scratching your head?

I’ll share this one I had just recently...

Geelong fan: “So who’ve you got this week?”

Me: “Uh, Hawks at the MCG Friday night... should be tough but we might get Elliott back.”

Geelong fan: “Yeah I dunno about him, I don’t like him at Centre-Half Forward”.

Me: “No, Elliott is a small forward.”

Geelong fan: “Yeah but I just don’t like it when they name him at Centre-Half Forward.”

Me: “He plays Forward Pocket and maybe pushes up as far as the wing.”

Geelong fan: “I just think he has problems with his body.”

We don’t play as many interstate games as other Victorian clubs.

We were given a free ride to take over the Olympic Park precinct (husband goes on and on about this).

We are the only team who boos the opposition when they line up for goal (seriously, friend of mine genuinely believes this).

I find it bizarre when opposition supporters treat us with towering esteem and high deference ...

... they just don’t seem to get that we’re very casual and relaxed, and don’t take ourselves at all seriously.

From a Carlton supporter last night, "it's possible the pies wont win another game until round 20."

Reason #5087 of why I continue to despise Carlton. One flukey win and they start stinking the place up again.

but .. sadly ... he might be right - especially if we serve up the effory displayed against roos ...

It's usually people making homophobic remarks about certain players on our list.
Yeah i have my doubts if Darcy Moore is actually homosexual, if he is thats completely fine but i’m guessing its stemmed from the fact hes a handsome, somewhat more feminent individual and opposition decided to put 2 and 2 together for abit of banter.

Depending on the size of their club...

That their club is either Collingwood’s biggest rival or a rivalry exists between the clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a Carlton supporter last night, "it's possible the pies wont win another game until round 20."

Reason #5087 of why I continue to despise Carlton. One flukey win and they start stinking the place up again.
Seems they misspelled Carlton.

We were given a free ride to take over the Olympic Park precinct (husband goes on and on about this).
Thanks go to Melbourne for passing up the glasshouse.

Having long term dental problems and frequent brushes with the law and a teenage fascination with tattoos, I'm always surprised that people guess me as a Pie supporter.

Ironically it’s mates of mine overrating us.

With the age profile and make up of our list I see another few years in the doldrums (12-18) if we don’t salute this year (or at worst, next). We’ve not replenished young talent particularly effectively as we keep trading our first and second rounders and all those that we recruited are starting to sail into their mid to late 20’s. Combine that with Pendles, Sidey, Beams getting on and other older players approaching or past 30 like Varcoe, Mayne, Greenwood, Howe etc and unless something comes through beneath them in a hurry I can see us fading from competitiveness real quickly. Doesn’t seem to be happening at VFL level at the moment.

Mates for whatever reason are talking us up for the next five years. I don’t get it.

What I hear very often from rival fans (here in SA) is that we get it so easy because we play so many games at the MCG. I always point out that plenty of those MCG games are against fellow Victorian teams, games where we have no real home ground advantage at all, and that we even have to play some of our home games at Docklands, against opponents who have that stadium as their home ground. They're just impossible to convince; even though our draw is very similar to that of some other Vic. teams (those who don't sell home games to China, Tasmania or wherever) they still believe we get it easy because "we hardly ever travel", and have all those games at the MCG!!

Misconception: All Collingwood supporters spit, have poor dentistry, and are on welfare or in prison

Whilst this accurately describes my extended family on my mother's side, and the Colony of Tasmania, it is a gross generalisation

Not all opposition supporters say this sort of thing. A mate of mine, a Richmond supporter, says that it was actually a Collingwood supporter who invented the toothbrush...................he then said that if a Richmond supporter had invented it, it would have been called a teeth brush!

Preliminary final shut him up

Back in the day I'm eternally grateful for a few misconceptions.

So is society in general I'd imagine.

We don’t play as many interstate games as other Victorian clubs.

We are the only team who boos the opposition when they line up for goal (seriously, friend of mine genuinely believes this).

Vicky, this interstate myth drives me crazy. Each year we play 5 games away, in wa, sa, nsw and qld. With one double up.
Have done this for years.
Yet so many go on about how we never travel and only play at the MCG. Seriously not our fault so many teams request games at the G v Pies as their home games. Anyway I digress.
Back to interstate games, have a look at the other big Melb clubs, most play interstate 5 times. Excluding Hawks and north due to tassie contracts.
Pies, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon all play, on most occasions, 5 or 6 times per year interstate.
Not our fault we are the MCG darling and draw card

Not all opposition supporters say this sort of thing. A mate of mine, a Richmond supporter, says that it was actually a Collingwood supporter who invented the toothbrush...................he then said that if a Richmond supporter had invented it, it would have been called a teeth brush!

Preliminary final shut him up
Post of the week . :tearsofjoy:

Back in 2010 or 2011 a Richmond fan at school was telling me pies never travel, I disagreed so we looked it up. Pies had 5 interstate away games, Richmond had 5 interstate away and 1 interstate home game... he was clinging to the home interstate game as if that was a proper example..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back