Bizzare Footy Scores

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL (1994):

North Melbourne 25-23 (173)

Hawthorn 6-10 (46)

Playing for Mount Torrens in SA in the Hills League, we beat another team (Kersbrook?) something like 34.20 to 2.0.

I was shaking hands with an opponent after the game while walking off, and commented on the score, to which he replied:
"Good thing we kicked straight, otherwise we would've been FLOGGED!".

Seriously funny call, you gotta love country footy.

I'm sorry, but how on earth could one team possibly kick 85 goals? :eek:

What the hell could Callington have been doing? Did they just stand there as the ball got cleared and goaled every time? That's over a goal per minute.

HHHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAA

I'm more curious as to how that club fields a team each week, surely most players would be too demoralised and depressed to play after more than a few weeks of thumpings like that?

That game is still the butt of jokes. "went out there with one goal in mind etc.."

(expletive) of a day weather wise as well. I remember Mick Nunan apologising to the whole state for such a (expletive) performance. Everyone was hoping for a great contest to keep interest going in the SANFL because we hadn't joined the VFL at that stage.
That was exactly what they said in both The Advertiser and The Australian when I looked in the State Library tonight.

However, if you watch it on DVD as I have recently done, it’s really a pity Nunan saw it that way: Port Adelaide’s defence did not once play from behind all game and played with such ferocity in open play that I do not think the hyped Geelong attack of that year (3,452 points in 26 games) would opposed thereto have kicked one point higher than North Adelaide managed.

If Nunan was really brave he and other football coaches would have seen it as a challenge to kick a decent score against Port’s defence in such white-hot form: I do not think any side in football history would have managed more than about three goals, simply because Phillips, Delaney, Abernathy and Fiacchi:

1. manned up with such perfection
  2. smothered just about every kick or handball
  3. played the one-on-one contests so well that North’s forwards seemed never to have sight of the ball
I just cannot see how even Geelong or Hawthorn of that era would have broken the granite wall and fierce pressure of Port’s defence on that day. It is true that North Adelaide made some appalling mistakes especially with their kick-ins and dropping marks in defence. However even had they played well North wouldn’t have scored any more goals, though Port might have kicked quite a bit fewer than their actual fifteen.

That was exactly what they said in both The Advertiser and The Australian when I looked in the State Library tonight.

However, if you watch it on DVD as I have recently done, it’s really a pity Nunan saw it that way: Port Adelaide’s defence did not once play from behind all game and played with such ferocity in open play that I do not think the hyped Geelong attack of that year (3,452 points in 26 games) would opposed thereto have kicked one point higher than North Adelaide managed.

If Nunan was really brave he and other football coaches would have seen it as a challenge to kick a decent score against Port’s defence in such white-hot form: I do not think any side in football history would have managed more than about three goals, simply because Phillips, Delaney, Abernathy and Fiacchi:

1. manned up with such perfection
  2. smothered just about every kick or handball
  3. played the one-on-one contests so well that North’s forwards seemed never to have sight of the ball
I just cannot see how even Geelong or Hawthorn of that era would have broken the granite wall and fierce pressure of Port’s defence on that day. It is true that North Adelaide made some appalling mistakes especially with their kick-ins and dropping marks in defence. However even had they played well North wouldn’t have scored any more goals, though Port might have kicked quite a bit fewer than their actual fifteen.

What are you on mate? The SANFL was that far behind the VFL at that stage, I don't think even Richmond or the Brisbane Bears (last and second last in '89) would've had any troubles toppling Port Adelaide. Terrible call.

What are you on mate? The SANFL was that far behind the VFL at that stage, I don't think even Richmond or the Brisbane Bears (last and second last in '89) would've had any troubles toppling Port Adelaide. Terrible call.
I’m sure you haven’t actually watched the 1989 SANFL Grand Final, have you?

I only recently looked at it after I traded it for the 1982 and 1986 VFL preliminary finals and a 1992 game between St. Kilda and West Coast, but Port Adelaide‘s play simply amazed me. They way they smothered not only kicks but even handballs is quite unlike anything I have ever seen, and would have been just as novel I suppose to Hawthorn. I have never before seen a team tackle opponents with the ball so often - are you saying this reflects North Adelaide’s ineptitude??

I’m sure you haven’t actually watched the 1989 SANFL Grand Final, have you?

I only recently looked at it after I traded it for the 1982 and 1986 VFL preliminary finals and a 1992 game between St. Kilda and West Coast, but Port Adelaide‘s play simply amazed me. They way they smothered not only kicks but even handballs is quite unlike anything I have ever seen, and would have been just as novel I suppose to Hawthorn. I have never before seen a team tackle opponents with the ball so often - are you saying this reflects North Adelaide’s ineptitude??

It's a fair point, just because you dominate your league doesn't mean you'll dominate everyone

I use my jr footy as an example

My side won the premiership at u/14's (by 120pts) and the next yr took on Fitzroy JFC in an inter-league practice game (they had finished 2nd last)

We were distroyed, despite having 7 league rep players, and 4 TAC cup players, whilst Fitzroy had none...

^^^ agree with both points of view, but the form that the 89-90 Port Adelaide team were in was seriously scary. Note that in 1990, Port Adelaide faced off against North once again, this time in a prelim final.
We led 17 goals to 4 at half time, 107 points at 3/4 time, and eased off in the final quarter.

It was this sort of form that was the catalyst to our failed 1990 push to the VFL (at the time) - we were simply too big and too good for the SANFL at the time. I wonder what would have happened if Sliding Doors had allowed Port to get into the VFL/AFL in 1990, then Norwood followed in 1997. Oh well....

Not footy, but I played in an under 14s cricket match. We got rolled for 14 and they made 0-72 declared and put us back in and rolled us for 12.
All this happened on the first day of a scheduled two-day game in junior cricket, where there are only about 50 overs possible in the morning.
I made a pair. It was humiliating.

A year or 2 ago in the Southern Football League (SA), Marion played in 4 grades on the one day (Seniors, Reserves, U/18, U/16) and scored a total of 0.2.2 across the 4 games.

Reading the SFL scores in the local paper is good for a laugh - Marion and Hackham seem to get their asses handed to them most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not quite right.

St Kilda kicked 0 1 1 with their only behind being the first score of the game but Geelong would kick a score of 23 24 162.

Oops my bad, heard that on a sen quiz. Two lessons dont believe what your hear on sen and dont read wikipedia on the iphone.

Oops my bad, heard that on a sen quiz. Two lessons dont believe what your hear on sen and dont read wikipedia on the iphone.
Lowest winning score is actually on that wiki page - Essendon 1.8.14 def Melbourne 0.8.8.

The other thing there is Freo's 1.7.13 sticks out like dog balls as the lowest score since 1961 (although Fitzroy managed 1.8.14 in 1989).

Have you ever seen a team kick 19 goals in the first half and then get done by 9 goals?

Sydney did it in 91.

Round: 6 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Thu, 25-Apr-1991

North Melbourne 5.7.37 13.12.90 19.18.132 27.26.188
Sydney 9.3.57 19.6.120 21.8.134 21.8.134

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1991/121619910425.html

Peter German had 37 disposals and kicked 3 goals for 0 Brownlow votes.

Have you ever seen a team kick 19 goals in the first half and then get done by 9 goals?

Sydney did it in 91.

I badly want to see footage of this game, the first half must've been insane. Goal after goal with not a minute of boredom. Sydney were a very attacking team in the late 80's and early 90's, however they started to suffer extreme financial difficulties and the gun players (Williams, Mitchell etc) started to leave. They were probably a bit unlucky not to make a Grand Final in 1987, they simply couldn't quite get the job done when it counted, yet played some of the best footy you're likely to see (kicking 30+ goals in three consecutive matches at one point).

Great thread.

It's always amusing yet kind of sad when you see some local scores, but you have to wonder just how bad these guys are to be losing by 500 points. I can't imagine how there could be such a discrepancy between teams in the same league.

Sydney did it in 91.

Imagine if it was a goalfest.

It could've been something like 188-183 at 3/4 Time and 256 and 254 at Full Time.

Ah, the wishful thinking.

I used to play for Macleod/rossanna during the early 90s, pretty sure we got touched up be 60 goals one game, a 40 goal defeat to us meant we sung the song and got wasted, arghh, we got wasted no matter the score actually, some times even after the game.

I badly want to see footage of this game, the first half must've been insane. Goal after goal with not a minute of boredom.
+1

How does one go about finding it??

Round 11 of the 1990 Maryborough-Castlemaine District Football League
Campbells Creek 100- 34- 634 d Primrose 3- 0- 18

Love to know what the FF kicked lol.

Mid season game in 1972 at Glenferrie Oval, Carlton scored 2 more goals and still lost.

Hawthorn 11. 22. 88
Carlton 13. 7. 85

Hawthorn kicked exactly the same score against Carlton later on that year at Princes Park.

Carlton 24. 12. 156
Hawthorn 11. 22. 88

I'm sorry, but how on earth could one team possibly kick 85 goals? :eek:

What the hell could Callington have been doing? Did they just stand there as the ball got cleared and goaled every time? That's over a goal per minute.

It's because Callington only have one team, and that one team is a mixture of all the grades, so a bunch of U14s, U17s, B-grade, A-Grade, Has-beens, etc etc etc. They barely get the numbers every week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back