Bizzare Footy Scores

Remove this Banner Ad

Just happened to spot this bizarre scoreline in one of the Northern Football League matches on July 18. I thought it was a mis-print but on further investigation it appears to be legitimate - ie. Thomastown 7.1 to 0.2 in the first quarter - and then scoreless for the rest of the match !

Here are the quarter by quarter scores and the match report from the Northcote Park FC web site (The Cougars):

Thomastown 7.1 7.1 7.1 7.1-43
Northcote Park 0.2 5.8 8.11 14.16-100

Thomastown, kicking with a gale in the first quarter, booted seven unanswered goals. The score at the first break was 7.1 (43) to 0.2 (2).

The Cougars then kicked five unanswered goals with the wind before lifting their performance in the third quarter to hold the home team out.

In fact the Cougars kept Thomastown scoreless for the final three quarters before winning 14.16 (100) to 7.1 (43).

Anyone seen anything similar ?

Danish AFL Grand Final 2000

North Copenhagen Barracudas 0,1 (1), 1,5 (11), 2,6 (18), 6,7 (43)
Amager Tigers. 6,3 (39), 6,3 (39), 6,3 (39), 6,3 (39)

With a minute to go the Barras kicked the final goal to take the lead and win the game. North Copenhagen were the top team that year but hadn't won a Premiership since 1991. Nerves got to them early and Amager jumped them early. Sensing they were playing a better side the Tigers went ultra defensive and it nearly worked!

Surely Rd 18 2004 Adelaide v North would be one of the weirdest AFL games of the modern era in that the Crows didn't kick their first goal of the game until well into the third quarter.

That in itself is weird.

But the most bizarre thing is that goal which was kicked by Scott Welsh (former North player) actually put them in front.

How many goalless first half teams have gone on to win the game?

did WCE do that last year against Hawthorn? Another ugly yet riveting weirdo game.

HAWTHORN 8.1 17.4 23.6 31.11 (197)
PORT ADELAIDE 0.2 2.2 5.2 5.2 (32)

42 scoring shots to 7.

Lulz were had.

The Bay is that way.....
stock-photo-4733136-interstate-80-highway-sign-san-francisco-bay-area.jpg

HAWTHORN 8.1 17.4 23.6 31.11 (197)
PORT ADELAIDE 0.2 2.2 5.2 5.2 (32)

42 scoring shots to 7.

Lulz were had.
I was at the game, Port genuinly didn't care. We were playing disturbingly cocky football, showing no respect to the opposition from the first bounce. Playing on in crowded situations, showboating, Daicos kicks galore, it was embarrassing for both teams. If we had've played disciplined football, I think we would've cracked the 300 mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the game, Port genuinly didn't care. We were playing disturbingly cocky football, showing no respect to the opposition from the first bounce. Playing on in crowded situations, showboating, Daicos kicks galore, it was embarrassing for both teams. If we had've played disciplined football, I think we would've cracked the 300 mark.
It was a funny game - Hawthiorn's greatest winnign margin ever - but I actually wasn't that impressed with how well we played. We'd move the ball from the last line defence through the midfield to Buddy or Cyril up forward, but we'd fumble the ball, or grass about 2 pass passes along the way. The opposition was so bad, that our mistakes never mattered. Zero pressure

It was a funny game - Hawthiorn's greatest winnign margin ever - but I actually wasn't that impressed with how well we played. We'd move the ball from the last line defence through the midfield to Buddy or Cyril up forward, but we'd fumble the ball, or grass about 2 pass passes along the way. The opposition was so bad, that our mistakes never mattered. Zero pressure
Agree with everything mentioned. It was the most unimpressive 165 point win you're ever likely to see.

An SANFL game I remember from 1965, South Adelaide v Sturt.

South 5-0 8-1 13-1 17-2 104
Sturt 0-3 0-12 3-17 10-19 79
My brother played in a ridiculous U/14 Grand Final (in a mudbath) a few years ago. His team won the game 3.0(18) to 0.16(16). There were two quarters where his team couldn't get it past their halfway mark, yet they somehow won the game.

Agree with this. Disturbingly, Hawthorn could've played far better. Not sure if it said more about Port or Hawthorn.

If it's not a record in the modern era for scoring shot differential it would be up there.
It is up there, agreed, however off the top of my head there have been 2-3 other games in the last couple of years that have been similar/worse thrashings, both in terms of margin, and in terms of scoring shots.

So if that's the definition of bizarre, then that's a lot broader than what I thought it was.

Now 119, that's bizarre.

I can't remember the scorline so I don't know if that was bizarre.

Perhaps a knowledgeable East Freo supporter can fill in on the details but....
It was in the mid to late eighties, Darren Bennet for some inexplicable reason was playing in the reserves for East Fremantle.
He kicked 20 goals that day.

That is kind of bizarre.

An SANFL game I remember from 1965, South Adelaide v Sturt.

South 5-0 8-1 13-1 17-2 104
Sturt 0-3 0-12 3-17 10-19 79
I din’t realise how amazing that is. Not only did South Adelaide kick the most accurate score in any major football league until 1994 - by when global warming and improved grounds had made accuracy easier - but Sturt kicked no goals in the first half and still kicked seventy-nine points. That has been exceeded only once in the VFL/AFL, by Hawthorn in a famous game at the Junction Oval in 1979 and must be close to a SANFL record.

Remarkably, in both 1979 and 1989 South beat Sturt by the same score of 14-19 (103) to 15-6 (96)! It’s a bit like the similarity I have noticed ever since between the Footscray versus Richmond games of those years, only this similarity does not extend to 1958 as well.

I remember playing junior football at Spotswood, U15 I think circa 1984. Anyway we though we had a pretty good team after walloping a team in round 1 by about 44 goals. My fading memory suggests the other team was Glenorden. However the following week we played Hoppers Crossing and got smacked by a similar amount of 40+ goals and then the next week, or shortly after, we played St.Albans who did the same thing to us of a 40+ goal thumping. Those two teams handed out plenty of 60, 70 and 80 goal thumpings that year.

Anyway the story behind it goes that back then there were 2 junior comps (That I believe have since merged) in the west of Melbourne - The Western District league(?) and the Footscray District League(?). One had underage leagues of odd ages (U9, U11, U13, etc) and the other leagues of even ages (U10, U12, U14 etc). Hoppers and St.Albans football clubs could Field teams of upper aged players in every aged group and therefore dominated each comp and virtually won everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back