Preview BL vs Port Adelaide - Rd 7 - Sat @6:55

Remove this Banner Ad

Crap, isn't it. Although Tredders did confirm that the Saints flew up on the Sunday against us last week. What I would like to know is what time we're flying up tomorrow. Better not be before ******* dawn like it was last year.
Pretty sure Ratten said before the game they flew in on the day by choice - to replicate what they did last year, when they jagged a win

I hope it rains. Brisbane's height (Hipwood, McStay, etc) have troubled us & Daniher used to be a problem if kicking straight for Essendon, Then again their mids might be better equipped in a physical scrap. Brisbane will have done homework on our key mids Wines, Houston, Amon. Pity Boak out .. depth will be put to test. Even with SPP in, line up feels a little short on "grunt" if we aren't controlling the ball. Hard to predict how this one will go ..

Hope the guys have packed their flippers. Been pouring up here most of the night - more expected for this evening.
Beautiful one day, perfect the next?

I love wet weather football. Requires a completely different skillset that a lot less players possess. I am very confident we will play well against Brisbane in this weather. Against Richmond in Prelim we played as well as you possibly could without winning. Against Freo in Round 3 last year when the rain came we kicked something ridiculous like 5 goals to 1 behind in the second quarter. A few guys who I think will excel in this weather- Rozee, SPP, Fantasia, Gray, Jonas.

I hope it rains. Brisbane's height (Hipwood, McStay, etc) have troubled us & Daniher used to be a problem if kicking straight for Essendon, Then again their mids might be better equipped in a physical scrap. Brisbane will have done homework on our key mids Wines, Houston, Amon. Pity Boak out .. depth will be put to test. Even with SPP in, line up feels a little short on "grunt" if we aren't controlling the ball. Hard to predict how this one will go ..
I think we have the grunt but lack the polish with Boak and Butters out.

Will be interesting how we perform tonight, I think they may be our new bogie side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have the grunt but lack the polish with Boak and Butters out.

Will be interesting how we perform tonight, I think they may be our new bogie side
By "grunt", I meant the ability to win 50/50 (or worse) contests all around the ground. Against Brisbane in the last 3 losses, they've got on top at the stoppages, for critical short periods, that's overwhelmed our defence and made it too tough for our outside players.

I actually hope rain stays away now. They might be stronger in a contested game. We might have the edge if we can control the ball on the outside. On paper, our forwards match up well and should be hard to contain. Not sure how they'll go if very wet.

Port in a close one.

Last edited:
If it's pissing down I just wanna see wet weather football basics from the start please.

God yes, one of the bizarre quirks of the Hinkley era is that it has seemed to take us at least 20 minutes longer than the opposition to realise there's water falling from the sky.

Have to play good uncle tonight and watch my nephew play Auskick at half time at the SCG. His father is deployed....

rest ashore, he knows what team to support. Even though we live in Sydney (and his father may disagree).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back