Moved Thread Black Caviar at half time tonight!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if Bruce will call her DELICIOUS

article-2275565-176E0DD1000005DC-776_634x521.jpg

I love horse racing. But footy season is back and it is all I give a rats about tonight. I am stoked!

Can someone please explain to me why people get so emotionally involved with champion thoroughbreds?

It has nothing to do with punters always winning money on the sure thing. Most people don't even bother to bet on a horse like Black Caviar because the odds are always so short. People sit back, hold their breath and cheer on the one-sided procession as though it was a miracle. Some people even get teary and sentimental. They don't exhibit the same behaviour for greyhounds, race-car drivers or for Olympic athletes. Just the horses.

Nobody really cares about the horse's connections - usually some twat who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, or some flog who made $100 million selling edible socks. The trainers and jockeys ae more well-known and some of them even have a following, but this isn't really it either. They are just the extras in this story.

What is it about horses? Why do people care? We all know Black Caviar is going to lead the field by one or two lengths and then with 300m-400m to go, she is going to accelerate away from her hapless rivals, gap them by 4 lengths and be eased down on the line to win by 2-3 lengths. She has done exactly this in 90% of her wins. So what is the attraction?

It a tough one to answer.

The nobility of the horse. I don't know.

The world needs quality thoroughbreds more than it needs poncy motor "sport" drivers

Can someone please explain to me why people get so emotionally involved with champion thoroughbreds?

It has nothing to do with punters always winning money on the sure thing. Most people don't even bother to bet on a horse like Black Caviar because the odds are always so short. People sit back, hold their breath and cheer on the one-sided procession as though it was a miracle. Some people even get teary and sentimental. They don't exhibit the same behaviour for greyhounds, race-car drivers or for Olympic athletes. Just the horses.

Nobody really cares about the horse's connections - usually some twat who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, or some flog who made $100 million selling edible socks. The trainers and jockeys ae more well-known and some of them even have a following, but this isn't really it either. They are just the extras in this story.

What is it about horses? Why do people care? We all know Black Caviar is going to lead the field by one or two lengths and then with 300m-400m to go, she is going to accelerate away from her hapless rivals, gap them by 4 lengths and be eased down on the line to win by 2-3 lengths. She has done exactly this in 90% of her wins. So what is the attraction?

In a perverse way you could take pleasure watching the race, knowing that if Black Caviar finally loses, many of those silver spoon types will lose millions in bets for the small change they would have got as a return on "a sure thing".

It's a very weak field, she'd need to fall over-get injured to lose, will win by 8 if they let her run.

jeez this black caviar shits me!
Such a pathetically boring subject and yet, somehow finds itself into footy discussion almost every week on TV, no thanks to Whateley and his taboo fixations

Such a pathetically boring subject and yet, somehow finds itself into footy discussion almost every week on TV, no thanks to Whateley and his taboo fixations

Would you rather hear Luke Darcy say (player A has the potential to be the best in the competition) at half time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gerard Whateley absolutely has a thing for this horse. I saw him on the ABC waxing lyrical about how magnificent it is, how it has a great personality, it's strength, how beautiful it looks... he is either bat s**t insane or wants ten minutes in the stables with it.

Gerard Whateley absolutely has a thing for this horse. I saw him on the ABC waxing lyrical about how magnificent it is, how it has a great personality, it's strength, how beautiful it looks... he is either bat s**t insane or wants ten minutes in the stables with it.

he's trying to flog his book

It a tough one to answer.

The nobility of the horse. I don't know.

The world needs quality thoroughbreds more than it needs poncy motor "sport" drivers
Do they shoot the drivers if they break down during a race?

Not sport.

The shortage of quality umpires could be due to horse racing needing jockeys.

Thank God Jimmy Buckley played AFL.

Do they shoot the drivers if they break down during a race?

Not sport.

The shortage of quality umpires could be due to horse racing needing jockeys.

Thank God Jimmy Buckley played AFL.

for f...cks sake motor sport. We are all lamenting the fact its a week after the grand prix. Its left such a vacuum. How do we carry on without it?

well in sydney this is the only reason anybody would even know the afl was on tonight......

nothing about the afl at all in the main sports report but then to finish it off "oh and if you want to watch BLACK CAVIAR race it'll be on at half time of the afl game on 7mate"

you'd think they'd report properly on the sport they bought the rights to wouldn't you....stupid backwards ass state :thumbsdown:

Don't like it, don't watch it. Don't come into this thread for updates.

I know I won't be, don't care at all, but I'm going to let others enjoy it if they want.

Because animals don't have temperaments :rolleyes: and it is a very fine horse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back