Black Diamond AFL - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heidi Ho Bloggers

Surely great to have the footy back and before we know it games will be on our local parks once more.

Fellow bloggers you seemed to have become mute, do not be shy, let us share a pie.

Divisions are finally here, eager for the first game and beer.

Will anyone predict the top six? I will have a punt. City, Cardiff, Terrigal Avoca, Killarney Vale, Lake Macquarie, Warners Bay - now you can disagree.

Til we meet again ... Amen :rolleyes:

Interesting to see the 3rd side has got over the line at City. As good as it is they have 3 sides, I still think it is a joke they dont have a 18s side. Yes the excuses have come out that its always been a poor age group at that club etc, but I reckon that is a cop out. They arent the only club in that boat. For what its worth the 3rd grade comp will probably be better footy than the 18s so it might be a smart decision by the Blues.

Here are a few predictions

BD Cup- City, Terrigal, Cardiff, Killarney, Warners, Lake Mac (not sure what they have picked up. If Bryce Singleton is their best recruit I think they need more than him to make inroads on the comp, if they have quality they will finish infront of the Bay)

Elliott Davey- Chris Bishop

1st Div- Singo, Wyong, City, Nelson Bay, Cardiff, Terrigal

2nd Div- Warners, Killarney, Maitland, Lake Mac, Singo, City

18s- Warners, Nelson Bay, Killarney, Cardiff, Terrigal, Lake Mac

not at woy, noodles. living in sydney now and no real involvement with the game other than a spectator.

what is your involvement this year? are you involved at league level or just at a club. seems to be plenty of talk about the league recently with some changes.

No worries mate, I like to keep up to date with a few of the local comps(as have a few mates playing at various clubs!).

Not involved at league level(have considered it tho) and no official position at club level either, altho I did manage to crack a rib or 2 from friendly fire a fortnight ago!!

Lots of changes for the league,just hope we are on the right path!!!

Yeah noodles agree. Look can't fault the board for trying to even up the comp and looking at every avenue. But hopefully commonsense prevails. What are peoples thoughts on Harros email earlier this week about introducing the interchange rule? Again rushed idea and hopefully commonsemnse prevails cause I don't think I'd like to pay $300 plus for subs to sit on bench and be interchanged. And also doubt itd be able to be policed in ressies games cause getting water runners and other volunteers is hard enough lol

Dont think it will get in for the same reasons as you have stated,but happy for ppl to put forward ideas!! You never know when the 'next big thing' will come along,and agree we need to get as many bodies there volunteering as we can(even I had to learn how to open the till at a praccy game on weekend!!!lol)

Unfortunately common sense does not always prevail. There are various influences which encourage people to make rash decisions. Band-aid responses rarely work.

I think everyone wants a level playing field Noodles but when you get someone introduce a bright idea which is either too hard to police or implement, someone gets dudded.

You want to promote new clubs. I can remember when one of our guys told me all groups: BDAFL, Newcastle Juniors and CC Juniors agreed that the BDAFL could not support any more than 12 clubs.

With Gosford gone who will taken their place? Niagara Park? Theres an opening there.

There are some basic problems introducing new clubs. First, if not located in a neutral area, it will effect one of the current BDAFL clubs. Whats the point in sacrificing one club to promote another?

The area will cater for a certain amount of clubs Noodles but no more, in as much as we want more. The players might be be there but the administrators are not and they are the ones doing the chook raffles, marking the ground and all that boring stuff.

I often wonder what type of study, if any, has been made to where new clubs should be located. Or, is it, as it always has been, a situation of a couple of fans putting their hands up saying "lets form a club".

Someone mentioned we had some brainy people running the league in the past, well what did they do in relation planning for new clubs? Amen to. :diamond:

Yes there needs to be serious consideration before decisions are made,and I think around the 12 mark for number of clubs is about right.

As we all agree tho,it needs to not impact greatly on another club,so the number of clubs may be more or less depending on where they come from ie I would be happy for Woy Woy to have an open age team,and also Gossy(if they came back) if not maybe a Saratoga in a couple of years will be ready for seniors(same as Bateau and KV) only if both have the numbers and they may appeal to different levels of players ie the top liners will play for KV in 1's,while the blokes new/or near retirement with no/limited training would be suited to Bateau(much like the City 3's team)

Premier-city,terrigal,kv,Cardiff,lake macq,Warner's
B&f- Mitch knight

1st div-wyong,singo,Nelson,Cardiff,terrigal,city
B&f- Sam brasington

2nd div- Warners,kv,maitland,lake macq,singo,city
B&f- d.pederson (if he's playing)

18s- Warners,Nelson,kv,terrigal,cardiff,lake macq
B&f- Alex Baily(I don't know anyone else in 18s from other teams)

If participation numbers aren't increasing you can't have new clubs...to get the comp back to where it was I'd be looking at the root of the problem. The juniors and then work your way up from there...

Juniors are the key to long term success,without a doubt,we just need to increase their numbers(the sunday thing is aimed at that?) and more importantly for seniors(get them to make it that far!!and not stop playing)

A more attractive(and level) playing field that we will see now(hopefully) will help as well

Heidi Ho Bloggers

Surely great to have the footy back and before we know it games will be on our local parks once more.

Fellow bloggers you seemed to have become mute, do not be shy, let us share a pie.

Divisions are finally here, eager for the first game and beer.

Will anyone predict the top six? I will have a punt. City, Cardiff, Terrigal Avoca, Killarney Vale, Lake Macquarie, Warners Bay - now you can disagree.

Til we meet again ... Amen :rolleyes:

noodlesjnr... love the name!! lol Yes its great that footy is back,and we can see who will be heading in the right direction!!

City/Cardiff are locks for 1 and 2,Terr should be 3rd if they can cover the Gong loss,the next three could go either way,would love to see the Dockers make finals for 1st time!! some handy recruits(not sure who they have lost tho) KV and Warners bout the same(saw Warners on weekend and wasent convinced they will make finals) altho they could of been missing a few!

Interesting to see the 3rd side has got over the line at City. As good as it is they have 3 sides, I still think it is a joke they dont have a 18s side. Yes the excuses have come out that its always been a poor age group at that club etc, but I reckon that is a cop out. They arent the only club in that boat. For what its worth the 3rd grade comp will probably be better footy than the 18s so it might be a smart decision by the Blues.

Here are a few predictions

BD Cup- City, Terrigal, Cardiff, Killarney, Warners, Lake Mac (not sure what they have picked up. If Bryce Singleton is their best recruit I think they need more than him to make inroads on the comp, if they have quality they will finish infront of the Bay)

Elliott Davey- Chris Bishop

1st Div- Singo, Wyong, City, Nelson Bay, Cardiff, Terrigal

2nd Div- Warners, Killarney, Maitland, Lake Mac, Singo, City

18s- Warners, Nelson Bay, Killarney, Cardiff, Terrigal, Lake Mac

Yeah mate,I think a few clubs might look at it the same way(be it right or wrong) they will field another open age team either their clubs 2nd or 3rd team instead of an 18's team that may only have 14 blokes.

The Dockers seem to have a few cleared,some from diff leagues that I dont know the quality of!
Bryce is the pick of the one's I know which are freemantle(good 1's level in our comp) and Ando(good mate for bryce,but only average 1's player at best) hope for them the other 'ins' are around bryce level,then they may shock some and make finals.

Warners were average on weekend,in a trial I know,but they didnt blow Wyong of the park as you would prob expect! Boxhead got thru against his former club,I thought he would of been better going to Dockers tho

Premier-city,terrigal,kv,Cardiff,lake macq,Warner's
B&f- Mitch knight

1st div-wyong,singo,Nelson,Cardiff,terrigal,city
B&f- Sam brasington

2nd div- Warners,kv,maitland,lake macq,singo,city
B&f- d.pederson (if he's playing)

18s- Warners,Nelson,kv,terrigal,cardiff,lake macq
B&f- Alex Baily(I don't know anyone else in 18s from other teams)

Not bad mate, Cardiff would be filthy coming 4th? not sure they been down there for a while! altho Warners knocked them out in finals 1 year!!
Agree Warners seem to be the lightest of the heavyweights!
Think Singo should start favs,but it will come down to them and Wyong with the Bay only really losing players and not quite at the others level yet. Brasso is the best in that grade and anyone who wants to beat them better have a plan!!

Prob swap Maitland with KV and maybe Warners as well,but agree the winner is one of those 3. City 3's will be interesting they may jump Mac and Singo(who knows who they got lined up for a game!!)

Nelson's will miss T J Law as he off to Queensland,and Im also not sure of players in 18's (and whether they are still in that grade or opens now!)

Not bad mate, Cardiff would be filthy coming 4th? not sure they been down there for a while! altho Warners knocked them out in finals 1 year!!
Think Singo should start favs,but it will come down to them and Wyong with the Bay only really losing players and not quite at the others level yet. Brasso is the best in that grade and anyone who wants to beat them better have a plan!!

Prob swap Maitland with KV and maybe Warners as well,but agree the winner is one of those 3. City 3's will be interesting they may jump Mac and Singo(who knows who they got lined up for a game!!)

Nelson's will miss T J Law as he off to Queensland,and Im also not sure of players in 18's (and whether they are still in that grade or opens now!)

From the display Singleton showed on the weekend against an under strength City last weekend I wouldn't think they'll be in the top 3. To only score a single behind in 3x20 min periods woud have to be of great concern. Maybe the grading is correct. City had more than half a dozen missing and to still kick 25 or so goals may just show Singleton exactly were they are in the real world.

Kilarney Vale will be lucky to drop a match in Div 2 if early season is anything to guage by. Numerous 2011 1's players will play div 2 this year due to large number of younger guys coming through the club.

They will be expecting nothing less than the silverware in Div 2 in September before the "Central Coast Bombers" push into Sydney in 2013.

The whisper is there is alot of work going on behing the scenes to make "Sydney" happen next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kilarney Vale will be lucky to drop a match in Div 2 if early season is anything to guage by. Numerous 2011 1's players will play div 2 this year due to large number of younger guys coming through the club.

They will be expecting nothing less than the silverware in Div 2 in September before the "Central Coast Bombers" push into Sydney in 2013.

The whisper is there is alot of work going on behing the scenes to make "Sydney" happen next year.

maybe in 2013 or 14 (time to plan) our best first grade sides (players) should be playing in the syd afl - city, cardiff, ta, kv - not rep sides but closely aligned with ntl and cc clubs and supported by the league/afl - i.e. hunter blues, hunter hawks, coast bombers, coast panthers, etc

our young talented players (can play in those teams on permit or transfer from local clubs) and have an opportunity to be seen along with our best senior players -after all that is what most of our best players want - to test themselves at the best possible level and been seen by afl clubs

also maintain the local league in parallel to foster and grow the junior pipeline and also give others a place to play local weekend footy ...

... this way we get exposure of the region (teams in sydney), a place for our talent to play whilst still being attached and living to the region, and local footy prospers and hopefully grows

any thoughts

I noticed Jackson Monk has gone to Balmain straight after the rep game the other week..another local talent gone to Sydney..money talks

Yes there needs to be serious consideration before decisions are made,and I think around the 12 mark for number of clubs is about right.

As we all agree tho,it needs to not impact greatly on another club,so the number of clubs may be more or less depending on where they come from ie I would be happy for Woy Woy to have an open age team,and also Gossy(if they came back) if not maybe a Saratoga in a couple of years will be ready for seniors(same as Bateau and KV) only if both have the numbers and they may appeal to different levels of players ie the top liners will play for KV in 1's,while the blokes new/or near retirement with no/limited training would be suited to Bateau(much like the City 3's team)

Had to have a good laugh at this. Gosford will not be coming back into the BDAFL from what I hear, so lets take that option out of the equation. The junior clubs are not anywhere near in a position to enter senior footy and this is 30-40 years away in my opinion.

What I would have done if I was allowed was take the Coast junior comp back to 6 clubs and merged a couple together. There are too many junior clubs in the region and all it is doing at the moment is spreading the numbers too thin, requiring more volunteers, seeing more people get stressed and meaning the standard of footy is poor because there are only 3-4 good players in some of the teams. By cutting it back to 6 clubs it will be a more accurate reflection of the population, will allow footy to go to 9s, 10s, 11s, 12s, 13s, 14s, 16s, will enable more volunteers to be freed up and have less on their plates, will improve the standard as there will be more good players in each side and allow a 15 round comp where everyone plays 3 times. This would also allow a better pathway to senior footy which is non-existant at the moment.

However the powers that be would hate to see clubs disappear despite relying on 1 or 2 people to run them, battling to find kids to play, kids getting flogged every week and having to play for the opposition when they are short etc. My view is make the current clubs strong then once they show they are viable and able to be sustainable then look at expansion. You dont want to be like the A-League and have clubs in and out every year or 2.

I noticed Jackson Monk has gone to Balmain straight after the rep game the other week..another local talent gone to Sydney..money talks

hardly money ... just a talented young kid wanting to progress further ...

we lose them because we have no team(s) in Sydney for them to play in ... see my earlier post i.e. "if you can't beat, 'em join 'em" ...

hardly money ... just a talented young kid wanting to progress further ...

we lose them because we have no team(s) in Sydney for them to play in ... see my earlier post i.e. "if you can't beat, 'em join 'em" ...

I have probably seen Monk play but cannot really recall him as I havent seen too much of Newcastle City play. What sort of player is he?

Will the standard of Sydney football be as strong this year with the addition of the two sides to the North Eastern AFL competition? From my observations on pay tv it looks an average standard, although I havent ever been to a game live so it may be just how it looks.

Would a youngster from this region not be better suited to going to either the Sydney Hills or Sydney Uni clubs as they are now in the NEAFL competition and have the pathway of progressing from the seconds (which are still Sydney premier), into a higher standard of football?

Would there be support for a regional team to play in Sydney? What ramifications would there be for the current Black Diamond Competition if this were to happen?

I have probably seen Monk play but cannot really recall him as I havent seen too much of Newcastle City play. What sort of player is he?

Will the standard of Sydney football be as strong this year with the addition of the two sides to the North Eastern AFL competition? From my observations on pay tv it looks an average standard, although I havent ever been to a game live so it may be just how it looks.

Would a youngster from this region not be better suited to going to either the Sydney Hills or Sydney Uni clubs as they are now in the NEAFL competition and have the pathway of progressing from the seconds (which are still Sydney premier), into a higher standard of football?

Would there be support for a regional team to play in Sydney? What ramifications would there be for the current Black Diamond Competition if this were to happen?

.. monk is not bad and has developed well playing senior footy ... the standard of syd footy is very good live ... more about the intensity and consistent skills than anything else ...

.. not sure why a young player would not play with neafl club ... certainly are a few gravitating to those teams ... head, gourlay, moller ...

... thoughts on the regional teams in syd ... the best bdafl sides city, hawks, kv, terrigal would be very competitive in the sfl premir div and would form the nucleus of ntl and cc representation

as i said before - our young talented players (can play in those teams on permit or transfer from local clubs) and have an opportunity to be seen along with our best senior players -after all that is what most of our best players want - to test themselves at the best possible level and been seen by afl clubs

the local league can stay in place to foster and grow the junior pipeline and also give the others a place to play local weekend footy ...

we would also get to see good games on a regular basis in ntl and cc when syd teams play our local teams at no.1 or adelaide street etc - that is good for local footy along with seeing the odd neafl game or rep game

No worries mate, I like to keep up to date with a few of the local comps(as have a few mates playing at various clubs!).

Not involved at league level(have considered it tho) and no official position at club level either, altho I did manage to crack a rib or 2 from friendly fire a fortnight ago!!

Lots of changes for the league,just hope we are on the right path!!!

reading this forum it sounds like you should be at league level. you have ideas. maybe you could do the website at least. it used to be good. now so slow.

why dont city or cardiff join sydney comp. then good players can play in that comp. and they would stop flogging other teams in bdafl. and players would be able to test themselfs.

why dont city or cardiff join sydney comp. then good players can play in that comp. and they would stop flogging other teams in bdafl. and players would be able to test themselfs.

its not just about city and cardiff ...
-it is about the league as a whole and exposing the talent in this region
-providing a pragmatic approach to building a pathway for our talented players without losing them completely - ie monk crawford head gourlay heeney etc,
- its about representation of the hunter/cc in the bigger sydney comp and not losing our identity and recognising our obvious talents that we have playing the great game of afl in this region

-providing a pragmatic approach to building a pathway for our talented players without losing them completely - ie monk crawford head gourlay heeney etc,
- its about representation of the hunter/cc in the bigger sydney comp and not losing our identity and recognising our obvious talents that we have playing the great game of afl in this region

are you at league level? if not maybe you should be. you have ideas to. seems to have gone backwards in last 5 year.
are you at city or cardiff or just follow the footy like some of us?

I think there are a couple of things we need to get used to, in as much as might hurt some.

Newcastle/CC is generally viewed as a backwater. Kids dont see playing football in this area as an asset or a way to further their football ambitions. Lets face it, players at 15-18 who show a bit of talent all think (or are encouraged to think by their parents or officials) that they are going to play in the AFL. The reality of it all is THEY ARE NOT and very few do.

What is this competition here for? Is it trying to field a side in the NEAFL and all that goes with it? No. We are here for our clubs, our competition and the game in general. Like most competitions in Australia, we fill a hole. Its good and its fun and we should promote the game as much as we can but at the end of the day, we are not the AFL.

I am all for showing our league as being as professional as possible but we are still just local footy, and thats the way it should be. :diamond:

City, Cariff & Terrigal would be nowhere near Syd Prem Division and would play Div 1 football however the regions u23s rep team could play Prem Div.
KV, WB would be in the Sydney Div 2 competition. Lets not kid ourselves exactly where Newcastle footy is at. The main problem in the BDAFL is the lack of high intensity, physical footy however with more exposure alot of players within the region could play at the Prem Div level.
Hopefully divisionalisation will adress some of these flawes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back